iMac 2010 + 2 screens

Reaction score
My iMac 2010 has 1 Mini Displayport (MDP). I would like to connect my iMac to 1 Apple Cinema Display (ACD) and 1 LED TV mounted on the wall. I want the ACD to be an extension of my iMac screen and the TV to mirror the iMac screen.
Is this possible?
I've thought about using a MDP splitter (input MDP to 2 output MDP). But I can't seem to find something like this. If I use a MDP to 2 HDMI spitter then I can only connect to the TV and not the ACD. (I've been informed that MDP to HMDI only works one-direction (MDP -> HDMI) and I would need it to work from HDMI -> MDP.
Then I still have to figure out how to extend the iMac screen onto the ACD and mirror iMac screen on TV.

So today I thought about connecting my iMac to ACD using MDP and connect my iMac to TV using a USB port. But can I still extend my iMac screen to the ACD and mirror the iMac screen to the TV?

Your thought, input, advise are much appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My iMac 2010 has 1 Mini Displayport (MDP). I would like to connect my iMac to 1 Apple Cinema Display (ACD) and 1 LED TV mounted on the wall. I want the ACD to be an extension of my iMac screen and the TV to mirror the iMac screen.
Is this possible?

I could be wrong...but I don't think this is possible. It may be possible to connect two external displays to your iMac. But I don't think you can have both mirrored (LED TV) & extended desktop (Apple Cinema Display) at the same time. I think you can only have one or the other (either mirrored OR extended desktop).

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'll echo what Nick has said, you can have multiple external monitors but they all have to be either extended or mirrored, you cannot selectively choose what happens on one monitor as opposed to the other..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Back when I had my Mac Pro desktop...just for fun...I installed 4 video cards and attached 8 monitors. Pretty cool having all that desktop area to mess around with. At the same time...would have been sort of funny (or dorky) to have all eight displays in mirrored mode. lol

But alas...could not pick & choose which monitors were extended desktop & which were mirrored.

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

How do I extend my desktop on 2 extra screens?

Is there a MiniDP splitter to 2 MiniDP (1 input miniDP -> 2 output miniDP)?
Will my iMac see 3 screens in this setup (1 iMac -> spilt 1 Apple Cinema Display + 1 TV)?

Any other recommendations and/or suggestions?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It may be possible to have one external monitor to mirror the main display and the other display in extended desktop mode. Check out the Does it Work section of the review I wrote several years ago. I don't remember if you can choose which monitor is extended and which monitor is mirrored.

The folks at OWC are selling similar devices and may be able to tell you whether it is possible.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.