Creating a collection before my iPad arrives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2013 (10.12.4), iPad 5th gen (10.3.1)
Hi.
I just bought the new iPad 9.7" and it won't arrive for another 4-5 days. Meanwhile, this being my first iOS device, I was looking for apps to download. I saw that Fieldrunners for iPad gone free, but it ends today.
Can I add it to a collection or something like that so I can download it for free when iPad arrives?
I have a Macbook Air btw, if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
You can use iTunes to download any App you want. Store it on your Mac and add it onto the iPad when you set it up.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks ferrarr.
So, when I download an app from iTunes to my Mac, this means I 'bought' it, and it will show up in App Store when I get my iPad?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@mesut

Isn't it great to be awaiting such a lovely new iPad?

As ferrarr (Bob) says, apps for all iDevices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch) should be downloaded from iTunes. Go into iTunes, choose Apps from media list and then choose "App Store". This is where you get your apps - some pay-for, some free. They are all there.

When you have acquired these apps, they are owned by you and can be installed on any iDevice you own. They will show up under iTunes > Apps > Library.

When you get your new iPad, attach it to your MacBookAir via USB and be sure to insert the USB into one of the Mac's own ports rather than via a hub - just to be sure.

You will have to activate your iPad, update the iOS to the latest (the iPad is likely to be on 10.3.1, the latest, but if not, it will tell you to update to that).

It will take you through the whole process including your Apple ID, setting up iCloud and so on.

Then you can install all your apps via sync.

In my opinion, it's a good thing to keep all your iDevice apps up to date in iTunes whether you bought them from there or on the iPad itself. By doing this, you will always have a backup of your apps in iTunes.

Another advantage of this approach - say an app becomes corrupted, and you need to reinstall it - it may no longer be available from the app store; but you can reinstall it from your iTunes backup.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi. Thanks for the information.

I just learnt from another thread that iBooks does not support handoff feature, which was maybe the only reason I got an iPad and not a cheap tablet. Also I did not see the Better Together section in Mac App Store, which first got me thinking of moving to Apple ecosystem.
The thing probably will be sent back and it won't even be unboxed.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@mesut

May I beg your forbearance? I don't quite follow what you are saying in your last post.

iBooks syncs with all Mac devices if set up to do so. Hand Off is a totally different concept altogether: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25169?locale=en_GB

There are lots of ways of making your iPad work together with your MacBookAir: http://www.techradar.com/news/mobil...and-os-x-devices-work-better-together-1088311

In reality, there are very few apps or other things that won't either sync together or work together in other ways.

The thing probably will be sent back and it won't even be unboxed.

This seems so sad and, if I may say so, so negative. Perhaps you could find the time to explain your frustrations about a product you have not yet received.

I can assure you that we are not "Mac fan boys" here. We work and respect Macs, but we feel free to criticise too. So please share - and at least we will try to understand as well as help.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So here's the thing, I am finding it hard to read my material from my desktop computer or my Macbook, because of the positioning of the screens. After a couple of minutes, I either get uncomfortable looking at the screen or want to switch my position. I resorted to my phone, Note 4. The screen is good and big enough to read for, like 10 minutes, but then my eyes get tired and it's not comfortable to read a long book in it. That's why I wanted to get a tablet.

Why an iPad? Because of continuity. I always heard of Apple devices working better together, but it did not matter to me, because I only had my Macbook, and I freakin' love my Android phone. Not gonna compare to iPhones, because every single time, that argument was futile. Anyway, one day Apple announced they have a thing called 'Continuity'. Make no mistake, you can have almost every single feature of Continuity with Android and Windows (or Mac). Google keeps everything in sync, and there's an app called AirDroid and it works great. But Apple did not need a third party app for this, it was a feature of the OS. It would work seamlessly, and it would work like magic.

I read a pdf file on my Macbook, then get uncomfortable, switch to my iPad and there my pdf file, in the exact same position as on my Macbook. THIS, is the reason I get an iPad. If I don't get this feature, then iPad has nothing over a cheap Chinese made Android tablet. In fact, it's in disadvantage, because I have tons of paid apps on my Android phone which will work on a tablet.

That's the reason of my sudden change of heart. But you are right. Maybe I should spend a couple of days with the device before I send it back. Maybe I will like it for some other feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Did you look at iBooks Preferences on your MBA? You can sync across devices.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681

Also read this:

What about iBooks?
You’re reading a book on your laptop when you realize you’d be much more comfortable on the couch with your iPad instead. This might seem an ideal moment to use Handoff, but sadly iBooks is not Handoff capable. Instead, use iBooks bookmarks (press Command-D or Edit > Bookmark Page) to keep your place and find it again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
This is supposed issue is confusing to me. I use iBooks on my Mac, iPad and iPhone and where ever I leave off reading a book or pdf. on one device I can pick up at the same place on the other device. I don't even have to set a bookmark. Fonts, print size and background colour are all able to be changed on each device.

I just set each device to "sync" and it all happens automatically thereafter. (wifi does have to be ON for this to work)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
mesut - when did you last have an eye test? If reading is uncomfortable you may need glasses.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi. Thanks for the answers. I got my iPad this morning and have been trying to use Continuity features, failing so far.
I have iOS 10.3.1, and macOS 10.12.5 (a beta).
I have tried signing off iCloud in my Mac and iPad, activating/deactivating handoff thing. Someone on Apple discussions mentioned keychain thing, I ended up resetting it. Anyway, still could not manage to use it. Is it broken for you guys too?

iBooks is something else. Naturally iBooks on iPad is empty. I think things got broken when I signed off from iCloud, because iBooks have been trying to upload my 26 PDFs to the cloud, which are just about 130 MB and it's been ages.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@mesut

Congratulations on getting your new iPad.

May I ask how you set it up? Because there is a set procedure which the into wizard takes you through.

And, if I'm not being impertinent, why are you experimenting with the beta version of macOS Sierra 10.12.5 rather than using the very stable and current 10.12.4?

You are not giving yourself the best chance of success. As several posts, including mine, have indicated and/or linked to articles; Continuity is viable using different methods depending on what you want. And iBooks does sync between devices. See posts 4 for apps and posts 6, 11 and 12 fir iBooks and how to use Continuity.

And, may I ask, have you used iTunes to install all those apps you were interested in?

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi IWT.
I just followed the instructions on iPad. It was a breeze. I also installed the apps I downloaded from iTunes. I just had to plug in the iPad and run iTunes.

Why am I using beta? Because I was wondering how Siri would behave on my Mac and I signed up the beta which introduced it. I thought I opted out of beta when the stable version was released, but somehow I was kept in the beta. So I receive them.

Are you suggesting that I should roll back to 10.12.4 to be able to use Continuity?

By the way, of course I read all of the links you guys threw into this thread. That's how I got iBooks to start syncing PDFs.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great stuff. Well, you've done a good job. Good on you.

I only mentioned the beta thing in passing, really. If all's well and you're happy, fine. I do suggest, though, that when 12.5 is officially out, you get the final "official" version of it.

Anyway, I hope you're happy with things. Keep posting. We'll do our best.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any pointers on how to get this Continuity thing work would be nice.
Also, is there any way to trigger syncing iBooks in iPad? My PDFs are on the cloud now, but iPad doesn't get them. It is set to use iCloud both on Mac and iPad.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Does this mean you're keeping the iPad??:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol pigoo3. I don't know.
I'm just trying to see the benefit of using both Macbook and iPad. Like I said before, the biggest benefit is Handoff feature. If it doesn't work, I don't think I should keep this.

I can give up on iBooks not syncing, but see, this app (https://itunes.apple.com/tr/app/pdf-draw-pro/id983970985?mt=8) is just what I am looking for and it will be great if it works. But I'm not ready to buy it on the Mac App Store unless I make the stock apps use Handoff.

Now, what I did so far to make it work:
- Read the links, so both devices have bluetooth and Wifi. They are both connected to my home internet.
- They both are connected to iCloud, the same account. It uses my gmail. Maybe this needs to be @icloud.com?
- I tried it with Safari. Nothing happened. I tried to write an e-mail with Mail app, still nothing happened. Is this supposed to be triggered by me somehow?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.