Weird question but please bear with me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
As above not really computers. I'm using a macbook air, mid 2013 with Sierra 10.12.4. I'm in to model railways and have a 'Camtruck,' a railway wagon with a camera inside it. The date and time are way out because it's been in storage for about five years. The battery is OK and when charged it works OK for recording and playing back. The instructions are for a win' os and I can't work out how to get in to the sd card to alter it. I've copied and pasted the instructions in the hope that someone can explain in real simple terms, exactly what I have to do. Here's the instructions:

Setting the Time and Date: The video records the time and date as a text display in the lower right side of the picture. This information is kept up to date even when the CamTruck is off. This time information can be set as described below by creating a text file in the root directory of the CamTruck memory card. When the CamTruck is turned off and then on, the data in the file will be used to set the clock and the text file will be removed. Using the reset button may also reset the time and date!
Time and Date set Text file Format
File name "tag.txt"
Type the following with today's date and time:
[date] 2011/04/29 12:32:00
Note: For the date the order is: Year/Month/Day
The label [date] must be lower case.

Hope someone can figure it out for me.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Thanks Sue. I'll have a look in the morning and let you know how I get on.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No luck with that Sue. I followed those instructions and got to the root... I think. When I double clicked on 'no name' in finder, it opened up a page with DCIM in it, I put the text in there, but it didn't work. I then did the same, but when I got to DCIM this time, I double clicked it and got to '100 Media' I then put the text in there and it still didn't work. Any more ideas, or will I have to put up with it. Thanks for your help so far.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to better area. Not a "Switcher Hangout" topic.

Thanks,

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Plug the SD card into your iMac. If it has a name (looks like it doesn't) it will show up, but if not, just click on the "No Name". You are now AT the root of the SD card. The only folder there might be the DCIM folder which will contain all of your images/videos. You would create the file right there, don't go any deeper or anywhere else.

You want to make sure that the file you create is a regular TEXT file, so how you create it matters.

So follow these steps. Open TextEdit and choose Format->Make Plain Text. Now enter as the only text [date] 2017/05/01 11:27:00 as the text. Change the latter part (the time) relative to where you are and when you do this. Ensure to enter the value in 24-hour time. Hit CMD+s or File->Save to save the file. For Save As set it to 'tag.txt'. On the list of locations, choose 'No Name'. Ensure that you see Plain Text Encoding (Unicode UTF-8) and then hit Save.

Now, properly eject the SD card and then extract it and plug it into your 'Camtruck' and power cycle it to see it works..

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick. I followed the instructions to the letter but can now only get the date/time to show '11/08/2044 00:00'. I copied and pasted your example in to text edit and then altered the date and time, saved as per the instructions and still get that weird date set up. Could I have done something else to cause this ? I'm opening 'NO NAME' and then carrying on from there to text edit and saving the file as mentioned before.

A bit later now and I keep trying but now I can't do any more because I'm getting a message that tells me that the disc is full. It's a 2gb disc and only has less than 1gb on it, yet when I 'get info' it tells me that it has 2.03 gb on it. I tried another micro sd card but the camtruck doesn't recognise it at all. I'm wondering if it would be worth formatting the original, or would that make it unusable in the camtruck.

Last edited:
OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right, it's done. I formatted the card and then it wouldn't work at all. I then formatted it in a friends win computer and it worked. I took it home and when I plugged it in to the camtruck, it wouldn't even recognise it. I tried a Sandisk Ultra card belonging to my son in my macbook and it seemed to work, so I plugged it in the camtruck and away it went... perfect, it even had the right time and date which it must have picked up from my mb. I went and bought a card the same as my son's and it's all working perfectly. The original camtruck card works in the macbook so I must have damaged it in some way.
Anyway, thanks for the help, I was floundering there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.