Best calendar app that does not use Apple calendar

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I am looking for a 100% reliable calendar that I can use on my iPhone 5S. I have used Apple Calendar for years but in the last year it has caused me a lot of problems and permanently deleted all my events older than a year (from my phone, iCloud and Mac - phone seems to be responsible) nearly costing me hundreds in extra tax (I used to store all my business trips on my calendar to log mileage). And yes 'Sync All Events' was selected. Apple tried to help out but couldn't get to the bottom of it, blaming other apps (even though I was asked to do a reinstall with no apps which I did and events were still disappearing after which they then told me they couldn't do anything as it was out of warranty) and so I have given up on trusting this app altogether.

I just spent £5 downloading Fantastical 2 as it has the best reviews only to find that it works off my Apple calendar and it syncs with the information on there not directly with iCloud which means that it could become equally unreliable.

Is there a good calendar app that does not use Apple Calendar that backs up to iCloud (I don't care if it doesn't sync with my MacBook as I rarely look at that calendar anyway), I just want to be able to back up the calendar on my phone?

Thanks!

Nathalie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Have you looked in the iTunes app store? I would look there first since the apps which are posted will tell you about syncing and compatibility with the version of iOS you're using. Also, are you making backups of your data? Data is more fragile on an iPhone than it is on your Mac which is why it's very important to constantly back it up.

You might also wish to take a look at the "LifeHacker" web site and its suggestions. Prices are in US dollars which you can easily convert. Note that their number one recommedation is Fantastical which you have already tried. But there are many other apps to look at.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
In 2011, I started out using Google to store my calendar data. I was using Android phones and I was tired of depending on the phone store to transfer my calendar and contacts without loosing them. I also wanted a cloud backup of my calendar data and contacts. When I moved to an iPhone I added my google account and made it the default calendar and contacts data for the iPhone. I added Fantastical2 as my calendar because I liked the layout better and linked it to my Google calendar.

I just opened my Google calendar online and found all my data from January 2011 to the present. Prior to 2011 I had not used an electronic calendar. So far Google has keep it all for me -
calendar and contacts - and every time I get a new phone - which for me is about every 2 to 3 years - as soon as I link the phone to the account all my data appears on the phone.

Lisa

Reaction score
Google Calendar would be more than enough. I've been using it for many years. Sometimes I do try some new calendar apps but so far, this is still my best choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.