Upgrading from Tiger to Leopard (question for reference)

L

Left Face Down

This is a very n00b question but it must be asked due to current issues. When upgrading from such as Tiger to Leopard, as in 10.5 to 10.6 (if I remember correctly) what all is involved? It's a stupid question, I know... but what I'm trying to figure out is if I can't hold off until Leopard is out to buy a Mac because Windows hates my guts and will not work for my correctly even on my brand new (2 week old) laptop... ummm, well when Leopard comes out I will buy it and when I put it on my computer am I going to have to back up all of my information?

It's just a stupid question that comes from some research, because I remember seeing a picture from last years Mac... meet? Anyways, it showed the evolution of Mac OS X and under it it had Windows XP and under Leopard it had Windows Longhorn. So it some what led me to believe that it wasn't like a new operating system, but more of an update per se.

So would I really be buying an update for $200? Cause that would pretty much suck... of course I know very well that I wouldn't have to get Leopard and that Tiger is good enough but I'm a gamer and I just can't wait around for games to be on Mac. I know Leopard is going to have the final version of Boot Camp and I'll use Vista STRICTLY for games. It's just something that has to be done for me. However, if I do wait for Leopard I plan on building a Windows Vista gaming PC and using a Mac laptop for school/work.

So to ask with out all of the confusion. Is the upgrade from say Tiger to Leopard more of an update or a full system reformat update/new OS?

That's really all I have to say, Windows/PC computers have wagged some Holy war on me or something this year. Every PC computer I've had which my family uses has had some sort of serious errors.

Thanks in advance,
-LFD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
As always, one should back up their data before doing any update.

The update is easy. Put in the DVD and tell it to perform an update over the current system. You'll keep the user name, all settings and all files.

OP
L

Left Face Down

xstep said:
You'll keep the user name, all settings and all files.

That's nice to know, thanks... and yeah it's always important to back up files but it's a pain in the rear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Also, you would be upgrading from 10.4 to 10.5, not .5 to .6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
when reading this, I was compelled to post.
leopard is not simple an update like windows xp service pack 1 for example. leopard is essentially a whole new OS, it has lots of new features and is much faster than tiger. it is best to do a clean install, so you would backup your data first. I realize this thread is a little old, but I'm posting anyway. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro. Running crappy 10.4.11 (can't remember adminisrator password, nor find my discs. HELP!)
Sos!

I'm kind of new, and in-between the MAC & windows worlds...
please help!

I am currently using 10.4.11.
but forgot my MAIN administrative password.
am considering either buying the 10.4.8 discs (no longer have th originals)
to re-set everything AND then upgrading back up to 0.4.11 (I think this is a free update) OR purchasing Leopard....

so, my question is:

DO I need to go back to 10.4.8
OR can I upgrade UP (to Leopard, for example) without my administrator password?

PLEASE HELP! Everything needs to be updates (ie. iTunes) but that password is holding me back!
:/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm kind of new, and in-between the MAC & windows worlds...
please help!

I am currently using 10.4.11.
but forgot my MAIN administrative password.
am considering either buying the 10.4.8 discs (no longer have th originals)
to re-set everything AND then upgrading back up to 0.4.11 (I think this is a free update) OR purchasing Leopard....

so, my question is:

DO I need to go back to 10.4.8
OR can I upgrade UP (to Leopard, for example) without my administrator password?

PLEASE HELP! Everything needs to be updates (ie. iTunes) but that password is holding me back!
:/
you can upgrade straight to leopard without your admin password. I strongly recommend a clean install instead of an upgrade install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
On the other hand, I've never had any problems doing an upgrade instead of a clean install on any of the Macs I've ever upgraded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On the other hand, I've never had any problems doing an upgrade instead of a clean install on any of the Macs I've ever upgraded.
you were lucky there then.

Reaction score
I understand that certain upgrades preserve files and what not, but if I do a clean install, after a backup onto an external hard drive, will I have to reinstall software? For example, I have things like Photoshop and Microsoft Office. Will these be backed up and restored after I upgrade to Leopard?

Reaction score
well I just bought Leopard for my daughter to upgrade her mac book pro running 10.4.11 and it just says unable to install on this volume and I thought macs were supposed to be friendly and easy to use !! any one got any helpful ideas?
rod

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
well I just bought Leopard for my daughter to upgrade her mac book pro running 10.4.11 and it just says unable to install on this volume and I thought macs were supposed to be friendly and easy to use !! any one got any helpful ideas?
rod

Is the disk black or gray?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, The disk is grey with a red exclamation mark 376GB
available and the comment is
You cannot install Mac OSX on this volume. To enable installation on this volume repartition disk as GUID Partition table
OK I should own up to the fact that I did upgrade the disk to a 500GB disk from the measly 90 it had, by copying everything onto the new disk and then swapping them. But that automatically formatted the disk into a journalled version
Im not a mac person but my daughter is so I may have done something unacceptable to a mac
rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
No, he means the physical disc itself, as in the DVD.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Color of the physical DVD - black is a retail version of Leo and will work - gray would be a disk that shipped with another Mac and would probably not work as they are system specific disks.

Sounds like you probably have the retail disk though. You need to repartition/format the hard drive. Once booted from the disk, on the menu go to Utitlities - Disk Utility. Select the drive on the left and in the Partition tab click on Options, select Guid Partition table and the correct format will be Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You cannot install Mac OSX on this volume. To enable installation on this volume repartition disk as GUID Partition table
OK I should own up to the fact that I did upgrade the disk to a 500GB disk from the measly 90 it had, by copying everything onto the new disk and then swapping them. But that automatically formatted the disk into a journalled version
Please review the article below.
"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume..." alert in Installer

The MacBook Pro is an Intel-based machine, which should have a GUID partition table. When you set up the new disk, you probably chose the wrong partition type.

Be sure you back up before re-partitioning the disk.

Reaction score
urgent help needed, thanx!

hello everyone, this is my first post.

I need to upgrade my Macbook Pro OS from 10.4.11 to 10.5.
Is it possible to download the update from the Apple site (or anywhere
else for that matter), or must I purchase the DVD's and re-install the whole
operating system? I keep coming across software that requires 10.5 or
higher, but my laptop still works so well that I am in no hurry to purchase
a new one.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.