Can I boot windows from an external SSD on MacOs 10.12.4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP touchbar 2.9 GHz, 16GB, Radeon Pro 460
I have a MBP late 2016 and I need to Use a windows application [Autodesk Revit] for the next two months and then won't use again. I don't want to go through the hassle of running bootcamp to use a program for two months. I tried a virtual machine for a similar program once and it didn't work too well. Someone suggested Winebottler but Im assuming that it works similar to a virtual machine and it won't deliver the power I need to run Revit. The most logical/convenient thing I can think of is purchasing an external SSD where I can keep a copy of windows and boot that externally, is this possible?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not possible without a hack. Windows normally will not boot from an external drive or even from a dual hard drive setup unless the Windows drive is primary. I realize that Autodesk does not work well from a VM due to the graphics it needs. Forget about Winebottler or any WINE derivative as it will not run Autodesk. Why don't you use Boot Camp and then when you no longer need it, remove it. That would seem to be the best way.

Reaction score
Not possible without a hack. Windows normally will not boot from an external drive or even from a dual hard drive setup unless the Windows drive is primary. I realize that Autodesk does not work well from a VM due to the graphics it needs. Forget about Winebottler or any WINE derivative as it will not run Autodesk. Why don't you use Boot Camp and then when you no longer need it, remove it. That would seem to be the best way.

I am currently searching for solutions how to allow Windows 10 installation using Boot Camp on MBP Late 2016 w/ Touch Bar. VM is not an option due to 3D Graphics requirements, and Boot Camp is not installing Windows. Super frustrating, but I am curious to see that the OP's final solution turns out to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sell jint where is your Windows installing stalling? Printed and read and re-read the guidelines? Are you able to create a partition and format it NTFS suing BootCamp ONLY (not Disk Utility or anything else}? *** did you get the .iso to a thumb drive? If you used a thumb drive or an external hard drive for the .iso, make sure you bused a USB2 unit as it will not work with USB 3. Have a read of this:-

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204990

Reaction score
Sell jint where is your Windows installing stalling? Printed and read and re-read the guidelines? Are you able to create a partition and format it NTFS suing BootCamp ONLY (not Disk Utility or anything else}? *** did you get the .iso to a thumb drive? If you used a thumb drive or an external hard drive for the .iso, make sure you bused a USB2 unit as it will not work with USB 3. Have a read of this:-

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204990

I posted my finding here http://www.mac-forums.com/showthread.php?t=339533&p=1756568&viewfull=1#post1756568

Essentially I was following the instructions, except I did not notice the Warning from Microsoft on their ISO download page until I used my Mac's Safari to browse to the page. I needed to download the previous ISO version, not the current latest one - there seems to be an issue with the Creator's update and boot camp from what I can quickly gather without details.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
With Bootcamp can you put windows on a external drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Look at post #2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
What does the Windows EULA say about that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
What does the Windows EULA say about that?

Assuming that question was not pointed to me, yet someone smarter than I!
Also assuming this remedy to the issue has not been tried?

So again I ask, has anyone looked into this?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My understanding is that the Windows EULA does not permit that kind of setup. Otherwise Microsoft would make this easier to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 MacBook Air
My understanding is that the Windows EULA does not permit that kind of setup. Otherwise Microsoft would make this easier to do.

What I'm hearing so far is no one has tried this. No one knows if it works.

This is important to those of us that our companies run on Windows.
It is important that 'all' possibilities are explored and proven true or false.

Again, I'm looking for someone that has tried this way.

Anyone??

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Legal issues, for a "company" to run on an unsupported version of Windows, good luck.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Olddawgsrule:

We are going to say this just once..... The MS EULA does not allow installation to other than the primary boot drive. We do not allow hacks or going around the rules to do an illegal activity. Our guidelines are clear about that.

We are telling you to drop this subject and closing this thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.