Problem with Partial Download of OS 10.12.2

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How does one find it? I tried looking at Purchases in the App Store, but no OS is listed there.

Did you download Sierra previously? If not...then it won't be in your purchases area.

- Nick

p.s. Don't think the partial download mentioned in post#1 counts.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yes, I downloaded 10.12, but it does not show in the AppStore. Does that mean I cannot ever solve this issue?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I downloaded 10.12, but it does not show in the AppStore. Does that mean I cannot ever solve this issue?

Millions & millions of Apple users have done this simple download. Not sure why you are having difficulties. Maybe if you have a physical Apple Store not too far away...I'm sure if you stop in...they will get you squared away.:)

By the way...have you tried booting into the Recovery Partition...and reinstalling the OS this way (get you back to where you were).

- Nick

p.s. Maybe this is an very very important lesson...NOT to interupt OS downloads & installs.

OP
S
Reaction score
@pigoo3 I live in a forest in Central America. No Apple stores out here.
"By the way...have you tried booting into the Recovery Partition...and reinstalling the OS this way (get you back to where you were)"
I have no idea how to do that. I go to forums because I am NOT a computer technician. Perhaps you can elucidate how to do that?
What if I use Time Machine to go back to 10.7.5 and then move to 10.12? Would that be a way?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@pigoo3 I live in a forest in Central America. No Apple stores out here.

Ok...no problem. Understandable.

"By the way...have you tried booting into the Recovery Partition...and reinstalling the OS this way (get you back to where you were)"

I have no idea how to do that. I go to forums because I am NOT a computer technician. Perhaps you can elucidate how to do that?
What if I use Time Machine to go back to 10.7.5 and then move to 10.12? Would that be a way?

I certainly can.:) Reboot the computer...immediately hold down the 2 key combination...Command + R...and the computer should boot up in the Recovery Partition. Then you should have an option to reinstall the OS.:)

- Nick

p.s. Here's some extra info from the friendly folks at Apple::)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

OP
S
Reaction score
I see now that downloading 10.12.4 (4.95 gB) is possible when I sign out of the App Store..

However I want to download to a thumb drive which is listed. When I click on it I get the following message:

"This disk doesn’t use the GUID Partition table scheme.

Use Disk Utility to change the partition scheme.

Select the device containing the disk, click the Erase button,

select the volume scheme, and then click Erase."

What I don't get here is how to "select the volume scheme" and why it directs one to click erase twice.

OP
S
Reaction score
I finally got 10.12.4 of 4.95 gB. Tried to use Diskmaker to make a bootable version on the Mac formatted thumb drive and got this message.
Can’t set disk "Install macOS Sierra" to "DMX_Workdisk".

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I finally got 10.12.4 of 4.95 gB. Tried to use Diskmaker to make a bootable version on the Mac formatted thumb drive and got this message.
Can’t set disk "Install macOS Sierra" to "DMX_Workdisk".

Hopefully congratulations are in order...if what I'm reading is correct...that you successfully downloaded the installer for Sierra.:)

As far as making a bootable version of Sierra on a USB thumb drive. Perform an internet search on this topic. There's probably 100's of articles on the internet on how to do it. And since there's a list of step's that MUST be followed exactly. It's best to do a search...find an article that you like...and follow the instructions.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
That is what I attempted yesterday, but Diskmaker X6 said "Can’t set disk "Install macOS Sierra" to "DMX_Workdisk"
The thumb drive now has "Install Mac Sierra" on it, but the file size is 1.9gb, whereas the 10.12.4 file I downloaded is

4.95gB. Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.