It's really getting sluggish!

Reaction score
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
Running 10.12.4

Recently my MBP is really getting sluggish in Safari to the point where it just won't open pages and comes up with "Safari can't open that page" going into Yahoo, Facebook, mail and just about any other place I want to go.

I have run the full Onyx maintenance/cleaning program and it seems to help for a while but then the MBP reverts to its slow behaviour.
When running Onyx I get the message "The system extension "EltimaAsync.kext" is not compatible with this version of OS X and can’t be used." Not sure what that means.

I frequently get the dreaded spinning ball!

It is fine opening Photos but even there, very occasionally, freezes and has to be hard shutdown.

Is it time to put it in for a service, but then what would they do that I can't?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
What RAM are you working with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
The symptoms point to an incompatible app mucking up the works. What I found from searching is that it is a problem with SyncMate?? I found an older article but it deals with El Capitan but you can see if it sounds familiar to what you have going on. The article does refer to FileVault. If you are using FileVault I have read of several people having issues with it. Also are you running any anti-virus? Most of us on here do not recommend you run any.

https://superuser.com/questions/987041/how-to-fix-syncmate-kernel-panic-at-el-capitan-boot

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you do an upgrade from the previous OS X to macOS Sierra, or did you do a clean install of Sierra? If you did a clean install of Sierra did you "migrate" your data during install/setup? It looks like you brought the app to Sierra, but it is not compatible with the current macOS.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks folks.

Right. Ram - 8Gb 1600Mhz. DDR3.

I did an update of the OS a month ago so guess this version of Sierra came with that.

Not sure whether SyncMate or FileVault are running? A search in Finder doesn't come up with either?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What RAM are you working with?

This model MBP has soldered in RAM.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Thanks folks.

Right. Ram - 8Gb 1600Mhz. DDR3.

I did an update of the OS a month ago so guess this version of Sierra came with that.

Not sure whether SyncMate or FileVault are running? A search in Finder doesn't come up with either?
What I was asking for, was when you upgraded to Sierra, did you erase the drive and then install Sierra, or did you just install Sierra on top of the previous OS X? I will assume you just upgraded over the previous OS X.

Did you buy this Early 2013 MBP new or did you purchase it used?

OP
C
Reaction score
ferrerr, yes I just did the upgrade, I did not remove the previous OS (El Captain I think) before doing so.

I bought this new in 2013.

Wow, running Activity monitor there are dozens of things on it but not SyncMate or FileVault.

The largest activity seems to be kernel_task.

Reaction score
Recently my MBP is really getting sluggish in Safari to the point where it just won't open pages and comes up with "Safari can't open that page" going into Yahoo, Facebook, mail and just about any other place I want to go.

If you are only having problems with Safari, and nothing else, the very first thing that I'd try is resetting Safari.

As of OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), Safari no longer has a reset function.

Instead, have a look at this article for how to very comprehensively reset Safari:
https://www.macissues.com/2015/06/22/how-to-fully-reset-safari-on-your-mac/

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for that Randy - I'll certainly give that a go. Yes it seems to be an issue with running Yahoo in Safari. I'll click on one of my bookmarks and nothing happens until I get the message Safari cannot open that page. Photos, for example, runs fine although even there I sometimes get the spinning disc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Try another browser and see if that's any more amenable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Add these extensions to Safari, Ghostery, and AdBlock Plus. To add extensions, go to, Safari > Extensions, on the page that opens, both Extensions should be available.

OP
C
Reaction score
OK, followed several of the suggestions in the link from Randy and things have definitely speeded up, so thanks for that.
I already have Ghostery and Adblock up and running ferrarr thanks.

Not sure how one goes about instaling/running another browser? I guess something like Firefox?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Firefox is fine. I like Google Chrome too. I also have used Opera.

Here is a link to firefox.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Just download and a window will open to allow you to drag it to the applications folder. Now if you want to you can open applications and drag the icon to your dock so it is easier to access.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure how one goes about instaling/running another browser? I guess something like Firefox?
Yes, Firefox, Chrome, Vivaldi, etc., you can use the search term "Mac internet browsers" in the Safari address bar box.

OP
C
Reaction score
But will not Sierra still ba around or can it be "removed"? Don't want even more stuff cluttering up teh HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sierra, or Safari? Safari is part of the Mac OS X/OS X/macOS. Sierra is the current macOS. Browsers, in general, do not take up much space. How much space do you have available on your drive?

Reaction score
OK, followed several of the suggestions in the link from Randy and things have definitely speeded up, so thanks for that.
I already have Ghostery and Adblock up and running ferrarr thanks.

Let me point out that certain extensions added to Safari can slow it down. You might want to temporarily disable all of the extensions that you have installed and see if that fixes things all up. If it does, you can re-enable them one at a time to see if any extension in particular is causing a problem.

Generally installing another browser is as easy as downloading it, double-clicking on it, and putting it into your Applications folder. And most browsers are free. Having multiple browsers won't cause any problems; I've never seen any browsers that conflict with each other. So you can try alternate browsers to your heart's content.

You may enjoy trying this browser. Download the SlimJet browser. It's really fast, and it already includes adblocking features as well as anti-tracking features, so you don't have to add those things to it. I suspect that you will really like it! :

SlimJet (free)
https://www.slimjet.com/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.