Installing OSX on PowerMac G5?

Reaction score
I got a PowerMac G5 about a year ago, grabbed it to use as a secondary computer or to sell. It didn't come with a hard drive, but I finally grabbed a 250GB drive and threw it in there (after formatting to exFAT and making it a GPT). I've got OSX Yosemite installer from Transmac onto my USB drive. (PNY USB 3.0 64GB) I hold down ALT/Option and I get a screen that only shows a refresh icon and an arrow facing right. Does the hard drive need to be reformatted somehow? Can the G5 for some reason not install from a 3.0 Drive? Should I try loading the .dmg onto a DVD and installing that way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
A PowerMac G5 will not run anything past Mac OS X Leopard (10.5). Can not start up from USB, only FireWire.

FYI, using Windows to create Mac bootable USB is a waste of time, won't work.

OP
M
Reaction score
A PowerMac G5 will not run anything past Mac OS X Leopard (10.5). Can not start up from USB, only FireWire.

FYI, using Windows to create Mac bootable USB is a waste of time, won't work.

This thread says that it can boot from USB.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4670074?tstart=0

But if TransMac isn't going to work, as you say, should I just burn the .dmg to a DVD and boot up that way?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There were some Power PC Macs that can boot from USB but it is a very slow process. Not all models support it. They will boot off of Firewire drives with no problems. I thought I had a list somewhere of which models support USB booting but can't seem to find it.

Booting from a DVD is pretty easy assuming that the .dmg has been made correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
WQell keep trying for seven days and come back eh?

Only .dmg are pirates. Gom on to eBay and be prepared tp pay about $80.00 for a full retail version on a DVD. This is what it looks like and do not buy any silver grey system discs which are model specific only:-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-OSX-Leo...823330?hash=item4b1597e522:g:c0YAAOSwWWxY8r2P
Good catch on both counts harry. I wasn't thinking about the .dmg files being pirated.
@Mimalmo I'd follow Harry's advice and avoid the .dmg files like the plague.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It didn't come with a hard drive, but I finally grabbed a 250GB drive and threw it in there (after formatting to exFAT and making it a GPT).

Besides downloading illegal software, there is no way you can install OS X on to a drive formatted to exFAT. That would be like trying to install Windows on to a drive formatted to HFS+. Ain't gonna happen! :Smirk:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This thread says that it can boot from USB.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4670074?tstart=0

But if TransMac isn't going to work, as you say, should I just burn the .dmg to a DVD and boot up that way?

Please don't lose sight of the fact that your original post asked how to install Yosemite...and the correct answer provided was...can't install anything past OS 10.5.8 (Yosemite is 5 OS versions newer).

As far as installing a compatible OS onto this computer. The ONLY acceptable method is via an original Apple OS install disk (eBay). Any other method is not acceptable...and will not be discussed or assisted at Mac-Forums.

Thanks,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.