Centre button not working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I am unable to go back to the centre page (i.e. the one showing all my apps). My wife seems to have found an app which will take you back to the centre if you touch it. Is this a standard app or one I need to download?

M

MacInWin

Not sure what you mean by "centre" page. If you single click the Home button on any page you get taken to the first page, which could, I suppose, be in the centre if you have just two (plus the notifications page).

Also, swiping left and right moves the page.

So, basically, I'm confused on what you want to do.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Alwyn

I too was confused which is why I didn't immediately post a reply.

"Centre Button Not Working" - do you mean the "Home Button" which on your iPhone is a physical button at the very bottom of your phone, in the middle - going on the specs provided under your name?

Or do you mean something else?

Jake explained how depressing the Home Button works. If you have an app open, the first press on the Home Button closes (not quits) the app. The next press takes you to your first page of apps.

Not being flippant here, but why not ask your wife to demonstrate what she does - and take it from there?

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I do mean the home button although I'm talking about my iPad. My son put an app on my wife's iPhone that she can touch to go back to the home page.

I now realise that I can get back to the home page by pinching with 4 fingers, so PROBLEM SOLVED.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think I know what is on her's. A friend of mine got a used iPad that had this horrible button floating on every window that was used to get back to the home page plus a few other things, we like to never found how to get it off there. It's part of IOS. Go to Setting>General>AssistiveTouch> Turn it on then tap Customize Top Level Menu. You can leave it as it is or turn off all the actions but the home button. To turn them off tap one you don't want and then tap the Minus - sign.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I do mean the home button although I'm talking about my iPad. My son put an app on my wife's iPhone that she can touch to go back to the home page.

I now realise that I can get back to the home page by pinching with 4 fingers, so PROBLEM SOLVED.

I think I know what is on her's. A friend of mine got a used iPad that had this horrible button floating on every window that was used to get back to the home page plus a few other things, we like to never found how to get it off there. It's part of IOS. Go to Setting>General>AssistiveTouch> Turn it on then tap Customize Top Level Menu. You can leave it as it is or turn off all the actions but the home button. To turn them off tap one you don't want and then tap the Minus - sign.

Hi Alwyn - if you cannot move between 'Home Pages' w/ the maneuvers described and if not already done, 'Reset' your iPad, i.e. hold down both the HOME & ON-OFF buttons until the Apple logo appears (may take 10 secs or so), then release and allow the device to reboot - see if this will return the 'normal' screen features.

As to the second quote, your son may have just activated the 3-click 'Assistive Touch' button as suggested above; a few screen captures may help - first go into Settings -> Accessibility -> Accessibility Shortcut (see first pic below) - this right screen will allow setting the 3-Click Home button feature - mine is checked on 'AssistiveTouch', as shown. In the second pic, after the 3 quick clicks are performed, the 'AssistiveTouch' button appears (left side of the image), which can be moved; when pressed, the menu shown on the right appears - a 'return to Home' is one option. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 11.04.58 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-22 at 11.06.43 AM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.