Using the Utility/Terminal application

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) macOS 10.14, 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM
I have been trying to install some Adobe software purchased from an online vendor. Installing on macOS Sierra requires that I open the Utility/Terminal program, enter a short code string and after hitting enter, I must enter my admin password.
After entering the short code string and hitting enter, the next line shows with the small "Key" icon and I when I enter my admin password, unlike entering the code, I can see no keystrokes or characters on the Terminal screen. I hit enter after entering my password, and do not see any error messages so I assume the password was entered. Am I entering data into Terminal correctly?? I am using a 27-inch iMac (late 2013) with 16Gb RAM.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have been trying to install some Adobe software purchased from an online vendor. Installing on macOS Sierra requires that I open the Utility/Terminal program...

What Adobe software are you trying to install? Rarely is Terminal ever required to be used by the average user...and almost never needed to install an app. Just want to make sure you're not unecessarily opening a "can of worms".;)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is a company that sells PhotoShop, Lightroom, Acrobat, etc, software and licensed to do so. Like it because it is pretty recent, Photoshop CS6, Acrobat XI Standard, etc, and stand alone software, i.e., do not have a monthly subscription fee for using Adobe cloud software.
Reading the Adobe 'error summary' it states "System Requirements". And going into Adobe the system requirements for Photoshop Lightroom are:
Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support*
macOS 10.10 (Yosemite), 10.11 (El Capitan), 10.12 (Sierra)**
2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
1024 x 768 display
1 GB of Video RAM (VRAM). 2 GB of dedicated VRAM is suggested for large, high-resolution monitors, such as 4K- and 5K-resolution monitors.
2 GB of available hard-disk space (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices)

I have all of that on my 27-inch iMac (late 2013), plus 16Gb or RAM, 1TB external drive for Time machine, and 1TB hard drive (Macintosh HD). My Graphics card has 1024 MB of VRAM (total), but I do not have a high-res monitor, just the standard iMac 27-inch, so that should not be the problem.

Don't know why there is a 'system requirements' error??? Any ideas greatly appreciated.

One fix they suggested was installing "Team Viewer" program which would allow them to remotely log into my computer and have one of their technicians install the software. But no way would I allow anyone to access my computer remotely. Who knows what they would be doing or seeing in addition to installing the software.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Firstly...just realized that you started a separate thread regarding giving someone remote access to your computer. This thread does have common elements with that other thread...thus all of this discussion would probably be better in the same thread. Plus...two members responded to you in that other thread trying to help...and you never replied.:(

Second. If you are currently using a 2013 27" iMac...it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to update your Mac-Forums profile. Since it lists your computer as a 2007ish iMac.

Third. Nothing was mentioned in post #1 about a "System Requirements" issue. Your 2nd post in this thread was the first time this was mentioned. And I agree with you. There should not be a system requirements issue.

Forth. Elements mentioned about this install of Adobe CS6 and the company "licensed" to sell it..."smells" of a scam. My apologies...but it seems to me you either are being scammed...or you're unknowingly participating in something that sounds "shady". It really sounds to me that this company selling Adobe CS6 is up to something. I hope I'm wrong on both parts.:)

To help us better understand the situation...can you please post a link to the company? If this company is legitimate...there should be no issues with this request.:)

Thanks,

- Nick

p.s. One other indication that this may be a "shady" transaction is if the price of this Adobe CS6 install is "too good to be true". If you're paying like $150 for a $1000+ collection of Adobe software...this is an BIG indication something is not quite right. Even if this is an older collection of Adobe programs.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Updated my profile to reflect my current iMac. I will be asking for my credit card to be cancelled. Even though maybe legit, just too much hassle.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome...thanks for the profile update.:)

As far as the Adobe CS6 purchase. Wasn't trying to talk you out of purchasing it...just some things about the transaction that seem a bit confusing. If you wouldn't mind...would still love to see a link to the company who's selling this. Maybe together we can better determine if this company is for real or not. Always great to learn new things.:)

Thanks again,

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
If you wouldn't mind...would still love to see a link to the company who's selling this. Maybe together we can better determine if this company is for real or not. Always great to learn new things.

Yes please, skays. Should be no problem doing that. Help the rest of us to recognise or avoid this site.

I don't claim any special knowledge or experience, but I have never heard of any app from any legitimate developer or site that required the use of Terminal. Terminal is enormously powerful. In competent hands, a godsend, but for the rest of us, best avoided.

And then there is giving someone access to your Mac. Like Terminal - be very wary.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The problem may be CS6 has not been supported by Adobe since OS X.9 Mavericks, so like others I would be very concerned with someone trying to sell it to you. Have a read of this link to Adobe on it no longer being available for install:-

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/faq.html

Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling part of this "install" is to edit the host file in Terminal so the Adobe product doesn't 'call home'?
Also, "shows a small key icon"? Unlikely in text based Terminal.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why do I get the feeling part of this "install" is to edit the host file in Terminal so the Adobe product doesn't 'call home'?
Also, "shows a small key icon"? Unlikely in text based Terminal.

Exactly boss!:) I know you know...Adobe products are notorious for being pirated (please buy my used eBay computer with all these free apps installed). Then you launch an Adobe app the first time...it "calls home"...and BAMM...all Adobe apps are locked up.:(

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick. The company still wants me to allow them to remotely access my iMac using software called Team Viewer. I read somewhere else that an individual used Team Viewer with a company to work out an issue. I also tried to install the software on my MacBook Air (13 inch, early 2015) with 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and 8 GB RAM. It started to install correctly with no error I 'immediately' received on my iMac. So the software seems to be okay and for some reason, "Adobe" install software has an issue with my iMac's 'Systems Requirement'.
The company's last email advised that I can watch the technician's actions and if I see anything suspicious I can terminate it at any time...although I would not know what would be suspicious. I would appreciate your comments soonest. Thank you. Stan

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just read Cradom's response to you regarding Adobe Photoshop CS6 no longer supported or will they support install aps. Wonder if this is true for Adobe Acrobat XI Standard and Photoshop Lightroom 6. I bet it is. I will ask question.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick. The company still wants me to allow them to remotely access my iMac using software called Team Viewer. I read somewhere else that an individual used Team Viewer with a company to work out an issue.

That could have been the other thread you started here at Mac-Forums...and never took the time to reply to the two replies you received.

I also tried to install the software on my MacBook Air (13 inch, early 2015) with 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and 8 GB RAM. It started to install correctly with no error I 'immediately' received on my iMac. So the software seems to be okay and for some reason, "Adobe" install software has an issue with my iMac's 'Systems Requirement'.

I'm pretty positive Adobe CS6 runs just fine on 2013 27" iMac.

The company's last email advised that I can watch the technician's actions and if I see anything suspicious I can terminate it at any time...although I would not know what would be suspicious. I would appreciate your comments soonest. Thank you. Stan

I know you would appreciate comments soonnest. But we've also politely asked you to provide a link to this retailer selling CS6 so we can take a look at it to see if this transaction & company are legitimate.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just read Cradom's response to you regarding Adobe Photoshop CS6 no longer supported or will they support install aps. Wonder if this is true for Adobe Acrobat XI Standard and Photoshop Lightroom 6. I bet it is. I will ask question.

You & I must be reading different responses.;) In Cradom's response...I see no mention of "no longer supported".

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
quick question. The command I entered using the Terminal Application. Does that command stay active in my computer from my computer? If so, how do I removed the command from Terminal.

Reaction score
We cant know that, you wont tell us what command you entered.
DO NOT allow anyone to control your computer without knowing EXACTLY what they are doing. Since you refuse to give us a link to this web site, I don't trust them.
I am running both CS6 and CC on a 2012 iMac and have NEVER had to enter any command into Terminal to get it to install or work. Something sounds hinky here.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The command I entered was: sudo spctl --master-disable
After entering that, Terminal asked for my password to with the 'key' icon after 'Enter Password:'
I cancelled my order with the company.
Also, went into Terminal and cleared history using: history -c
What I don't know, and hopefully you can tell me, is if that command is still resident on my computer and will affect future adobe product installs or something else. If so, how do I remove it.
Strange that the install process for Photoshop Lightroom worked on my MacBookAir using Adobes installation dmg package, but not on my iMac. Part of the instructions stated that if that process didn't work, right click on the 'brown install package icon', view contents, enter the macos folder, and click on the install file within that package. Doing that 'did' bring up the Terminal screen.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I don't know, and hopefully you can tell me, is if that command is still resident on my computer and will affect future adobe product installs or something else. If so, how do I remove it.

What that Terminal command does is disable "Gatekeeper". This can easily be done in at least a couple of other ways without the use of Terminal.

Yes...that command will still be resident...since what it did was disable Gatekeeper. Most folks do want Gatekeeper activated...which means enabling Gatekeeper with the Terminal command:

sudo spctl --master-enable

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. If you don't know what Gatekeeper is...you know what to do (Google it).:)

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you. And I guess anything you change like that in Terminal, Terminal will ask you to input your admin password....after entering the 'enable' command line, I got a "Password:" with keylock icon.
Thank you again for your patience and guidance....and lesson learned.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal.:) As you can see...things done in Terminal can be very powerful. This is why it's wise to give Terminal lots of respect...and only use it if someone really understands what they're doing.

Glad to help,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.