Problems downloading IWorks updates from Apple store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac book pro 2011 vintage
I have a refurbed macbook pro running sierra. I had a notification that there are updates available. When I go to the store to download an update for Pages, Numbers, or Keynote or any other program I have installed it asks me for my password. I enter my password and about 10 seconds later it asks me for my password again, and I am stuck in this loop. The store knows it is me and my macbook as I can view other programs I have downloaded in the past. To complicate matters sometimes the store thinks the computer belongs to the first owner as it is their email address displayed and the store is asking for the password from the first owner. I was finally able to download the update for Sierra but not updates for anything else.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is always a problem when the previous owner of a used Mac does not clear his/her Apple ID from ownership. However, you should be able to log on to the Mac App Store with your own Apple ID and password. The iWork apps are now free for everyone so it shouldn't matter. The iOS versions are likewise free. This from a recent annoucement by Apple.

OP
CarrollB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chscag. I tried again to update Pages and still have the same problem, the store keeps asking for my password. If purposely enter the wrong password it gives me an error in red saying the password I entered is not correct, so when I enter the correct password it is accepting it but 10 seconds later it is asking for the password again. I tried downloading Pages from the store but it knows I have pages already installed so the only option I have is to update it, and again the same loop of asking for my password every 10 seconds and yet I cannot download the update. I don't understand why it allowed me to update Sierra but will not allow me to update other apps. This one particular problem reminds me of the issues I had with Windows and why I bought the mac in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Open the App Store, on the main page, in the right sidebar, look for the link "Apps Made By Apple", and select it. You should have the option to "get/buy" these apps there. If it shows "update", you should delete the apps before proceeding.

OP
CarrollB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem was solved by speaking with tech support at Apple, which was a great experience. The IWorks programs I was trying to update were tied to the original owner of the notebook. The tech had me start a screen sharing program so he could see my screen. He had me delete the 4-5 programs I couldn't update and reload them, and all is well. He recognized the problem when I tried to update Pages and the first owner's email popped up and the store was asking for his password.

M

MacInWin

I think if you re-read post #2, you'll see that chscag had that same answer for you. All Apple did was have you delete the other owner's versions and download your own, which is what chscag suggested.

But it's good you got it sorted out. As chscag said, buying someone else's machine can lead to problems like this if the seller doesn't properly prepare the system for sale.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.