• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video Codec canopus

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a collection of video clips that -I think - is recorded with a "canopus" codec. My first try with a Video Editor "daVinci Resolve" doesn't recognize any clip.
Searching for MAC and Canopus video codec brings up several websites but nothing had a download for it.
Any Mac programs that have this codec or can I download it anywhere? My clips have no extension, is that a problem for Macintosh?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've never heard of the "canopus" codec. Maybe our Moderator "Slydude" might be able to help as he is generally more up to date with video than I am. However, you might want to download the free VLC application and see if it will play those clips.

OP
E
Reaction score
It doesn't and even if it did, it would be of no help. VLC is a "closed" application that doesn't share codec's with the OS or other applications.
I want to edit my clips with Mackintosh.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'll have to do some investigating on that one. I've never used the Canopus devices but I think all of their standard codes were also supported by QuickTime.

@EdmundF what version of the OS are you running now? More importantly what version of QuickTime Player is installed?
Do you have QuickTime Player 7 installed in either the Applications folder or Utilities folder.

Edit: As a company Canopus made several video capture devices that might have generated these files. Do you by chance know what was used to capture the clips? If you go to Finder, click the Preferences tab, and choose to show file extensions what extensions are shown on those files?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I can jump in here. I have a Canopus device that we use to capture video. There are various models and some are no longer available. But irregardless Canopus is the name of the company and not a codex. They were bought out by Grass Valley. The devices will allow you to capture from, for example, a video camera that has either composite or s-video output and convert it to a digital form for the computer to use in an editing program or to burn to a dvd. The computer program/app will determine what the form of the digital file will be.

When I used the canopus to capture s-video to a window computer the file would be recorded in an uncompressed avi codex. When I use a mac it is in an mov file codex. This is a picture of what I am currently using at my church. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007L68E/?tag=macforums0e4-20

The fact your videos have no extensions means one of two things - they are "Hidden" or they are missing. If they are hidden you can have them show by opening Finder click on Advanced and check the box by "Show all file extensions." Since I am assuming you are using a mac, have you tried opening the clips with iMovie?

If you post back more information I will try to help you.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Lisa. That confirms my thinking. I knew I had not seen Canopus gear in a while. I either had forgotten or didn't know they had been bought out.

OP
E
Reaction score
@Slydude I,m using Sierra 10.12.4, the quicktime player is Version 10.4 and it is under applications>other.
The clips are recorded by be under the BeOS (Operating System) using a program called personalStudio with a firewire from my cam.
Those clips don't have a file extension, BeOS don't need them.

OP
E
Reaction score
@iclev Hi, I do think that canopus IS a codec.
http://canopus.afreecodec.com/canopus-codec-pack-for-mac/. Not so funny for me is that I find there is a canopus codec for Windows but not for Mac.
Since that link suggest that there is a Mac version I am still hoping to find it
I didn't try in iMovie, I don't have it and a am new to Macintosh.
If nothing else works, I do have an ancient computer with BeOS and I can transcode it to something that works on a Mac but I rather prefer to use those clips as they are and prevent loss in quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Wow I stand corrected. That is old. I would normally suggestion installing a version of Windows in Bootcamp on your mac although it looks like it would have to be XP and I am not sure if that is even possible.

I don't think you will be able to keep the clips in the same codex format. You will have to convert them if you want them playable on a more modern system. Converting does not necessarily mean loss of quality depending on how it is done.

If you still have the older system and it will convert them to another format it would be worth a try to do a clip and see how it looks.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow I stand corrected. That is old.
If you still have the older system and it will convert them to another format it would be worth a try to do a clip and see how it looks.

Lisa
Couldn't have said it better myself. If you were stumped by this one I don't feel so bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Just because they made a Windows codec, does not mean there was a Mac version as well.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@EdmundF You might consider posting in the VideoHelp forum. The answers sometimes go deep into the woods so remind them to speak "normal".

I haven't been to that forum in a while but there are some very helpful folks there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.