Why is this MacBook (2013) getting so hot? Hard to even use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
Ever since I got this MacBook Pro (Late 2013 / Model: A1398), it's had issues of heating up to untouchable temperatures. And it's not by playing a game or running intense software, I'm just using Chrome. The keyboard and trackpad get the hottest and you can feel the heat just by hovering your hand over the keyboard. My fingers feel singed after use. Attached is a screenshot of iStat's temperatures. What's going on here?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Are those temps °F or °C?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Is the MB on a hard surface with good airflow? Also, try a different browser, doing the same tasks and see if the heat dissipates.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: The fans come on shortly after plugging in USB devices like an iPhone. Why is this happening?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The fans are not coming on; they are on all the time. I think what you mean is that fans are revving up to a higher RPM when you plug in USB devices. The iStat menus you show above in Post #1 have both fans spinning at a higher RPM than they should normally be spinning at.

Which usually indicates a problem with temperature sensors or it could mean you have a lot of dust build up in the vents or around the CPU/GPU areas. Go to www.ifixit.com and look up the instructions on how to take apart your MacBook Pro. That site also sells the tools you will need to take your MacBook Pro apart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Is the MB on a hard surface with good airflow?

+1 !!! And are any of its air vents blocked or full of dust???

Did it just recently start happening?? That is, is it HOT at ALL the time regardless of what apps are running???

Does it still heat up if and when booted up using Safe Boot Mode???

But actually, and assuming those temps shown are in °F, they aren't that excessive and are within normal temps.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
I've noticed that Chrome tends to send the temperature soaring, and for no particularly good reason. I usually use Safari, but tried Firefox a few weeks ago and found that there is no temperature increase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I've noticed that Chrome tends to send the temperature soaring, and for no particularly good reason.

Maybe that's why some seem to call it one HOT browser???

Sorry… I couldn't help it… :Smirk: O:)

- Patrick
======

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The fans are not coming on; they are on all the time. I think what you mean is that fans are revving up to a higher RPM when you plug in USB devices. The iStat menus you show above in Post #1 have both fans spinning at a higher RPM than they should normally be spinning at.

Which usually indicates a problem with temperature sensors or it could mean you have a lot of dust build up in the vents or around the CPU/GPU areas. Go to www.ifixit.com and look up the instructions on how to take apart your MacBook Pro. That site also sells the tools you will need to take your MacBook Pro apart.

It also happened when I opened Handbrake to convert a video to a different format (no USB in use). So I have to buy extra tools to open it up and dust off the fans? This problem started almost right when I got it (before it really had a chance to get dusty) so could it just be a defective machine? I wish I took it back to Apple when the 1-year warranty was in effect. :Angry:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.