Configuring!

C

caveatipss

I found a way to buy an iMac immediately, so I am configuring now! Very exciting. The only problem is that I want the best of all the specs lol. I guess I could live without a 500 MB internal hdd, but I definitely need the top video card. As for RAM: is it relatively easy to add RAM to the iMac? I could start with a gig, then double it later. Any thoughts? I definitely want the 20" monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
maybe go with something bigger than "500MB" hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
caveatipss said:
I definitely need the top video card

The only video option I see on the Apple site is bumping the standard 128MB to 256MB on the 20 inch iMac. Remember that graphics cards are built into the machine, so you can't upgrade later.

I'm not sure how easy it is to add ram, but I'd still just buy the stock 512MB and add another GIG stick. You can diffinately beat Apples pricing. By doing it this way you gain 512MB for less money.

OP
C

caveatipss

Ok. I want the 256 video card because I am an avid gamer, and also do some graphic design and website design. I ultimately want 200 GB of RAM, so if I get 512, I will have to buy the full 2 GB to upgrade since the iMac only has two slots.

OP
C

caveatipss

Here it is so far:

Specifications

* 512MB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 1x512
* 250GB Serial ATA drive
* ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
* SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
* iWork '06 preinstalled
* Wireless Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
* Accessory kit
* 20-inch widescreen LCD
* 2GHz Intel Core Duo
* AirPort Extreme
* Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
caveatipss said:
Ok. I want the 256 video card because I am an avid gamer, and also do some graphic design and website design. I ultimately want 200 GB of RAM, so if I get 512, I will have to buy the full 2 GB to upgrade since the iMac only has two slots.

200 GB Ram :D WOW! LOL

Good luck with the new machine :headphone

Reaction score
If you are going to upgrade to 2gig ram, might as well just get the 1 stick of 1gig from Apple. Might cost you a little more to get a gig this way, but you won't end up with unused ram that you may or not be able to sell.

OP
C

caveatipss

Well, for the sake of cost, I either have to skimp on initial RAM, skimp on the hard drive, or skimp on something else :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Ram install on the intel imac is childs play. It involves two screws and then just popping the sodimm in. I would NEVER buy ram from Apple as it is a huge ripoff. Add stuff like a bigger hard drive and upgrade the video. Curious, where do you live in LA? I just moved from Shreveport in January.

OP
C

caveatipss

techster82 said:
Ram install on the intel imac is childs play. It involves two screws and then just popping the sodimm in. I would NEVER buy ram from Apple as it is a huge ripoff. Add stuff like a bigger hard drive and upgrade the video. Curious, where do you live in LA? I just moved from Shreveport in January.

I live in Lafayette :) So, do you have to take the iMac all apart to add RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
caveatipss said:
I live in Lafayette :) So, do you have to take the iMac all apart to add RAM?
You just stick it in the Optical Drive and it "Just Works" :baron:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
No you do not have to dismantle anything to add ram to the new imac. At the very bottom middle of the intel imacs is a small metal door that is attached flush with two screws. You undo the screws and take the door off to reveal the 2 ram slots. One will come prefilled with 512mb, then you just pop another sodimm in and put the cover back on. Boot it up and you are ready to go in under 3 minutes.

I had some buddies that lived in Lafayette and passed through there everytime I headed to BR. Good town and I miss home.

OP
C

caveatipss

Aw sorry you miss home. I love Louisiana. So that nifty little metal door is brilliant!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
caveatipss said:
I wish I would "just get" a free Mac.

Hmmm...don't we all ! :dummy: LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.