Deleting multiple contacts.

Reaction score
iPhone SE - I've just deleted 700+ "contacts" from my MBP no problem but how can one do it quickly on the iPhone? I can do one by one by going to "i" against the contact and then scrolling down to the bottom of the page where one can delete it.
Is there any way one can do multiple deletes? Select a whole group of contacts and then delete them as there are 800+ on the phone, same as on the MBP before I deleted them.
Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The easiest way to delete multiple contacts on your iPhone SE is to use iCloud syncing. If your MBP and iPhone SE are cloud connected, all you need to do is remove the contacts from your MBP and they will automatically be removed from your iPhone SE and any other iDevices that are cloud connected.

I guess I should ask.... are you using iCloud to sync contacts and other things?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks chscag. I had not got "cpntacts" turned on under the iCloud setting on the iPhone neither were they sync'd. Having done that all the ones I deleted on my MBP have now also disappeared on the iPhone!
Don't you just love Apple!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey... good going there "caveman"! See, you learned something new today. Just kidding you, glad it worked out as it's a lot easier than trying to delete contacts one by one on an iPhone with a small screen. ;D

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Believe me, at 78

You know, if the Admins agreed, I think it might be fun to find out who's the oldest member here - via Schweb's Lounge. Folks like you make me feel young; but parts of my body tend to indicate otherwise:)

Apologies for crashing into this thread.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Made me smile IWT! I doubt I'm the oldest by a long shot and yes, the mind is always willing but the body usually complains!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Without mentioning names - since Admins have access to our data base, we have at least one member who has the "cheddar-caveman" by 10 years. And several others who are well into their eighties. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Shut the door as you are booted out sillyman...oops Badman.

Don't respond Ian we have a troll in the garden.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Looks like his posts have been removed from the various threads including this one. Unpleasant comments.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I feel like a bairn now! Feeling vulnerable with these 'young' deaths in the last few days - Tim Piggott Smith 70, J Giels 71 - and last year's awful toll (Bowie, Victoria Wood, Alan Rickman etc).

OP
C
Reaction score
Aaagghhhh!! They've all come back on my iPhone!! My MBP contacts are still OK but for some reason all the "deleted" ones have come back on the phone?
The iCloud is still the same so somewhat puzzled?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.12.4. plus an older mac
Hello Cheddar-Caveman,

Since we share the same age, I thought I would acess some wisdom from you in which I am lacking: I hate all the "Recent Contacts," (with the little letter "i") beside. Is there a way I can delete these little pesky things other than one at a time?

My thanks.

John

OP
C
Reaction score
On the "recent" page, press edit (top right).
A red -ve will appear next to all the entries. Top left, press "clear"
You will be asked to "confirm delete all".
Confirm, job done!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you get this sorted out? What OS versions are you working with, both on the MBP, and the iPhone?

Did you look in your iPhone Settings, then iCloud, to see if Contacts is checked to be synced with iCloud?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.