New iMac in route, question about cloud external option.

Reaction score
My 2011 is just too slow to handle all my graphic work so I just pulled the trigger on this...

5K 27"
4.0 i7
8GB (Plus 16 additional OTW from crucial to make it 24GB)
512GB Flash

I have a 2TB 3.0USB WD Passport that I use for backup and archiving files but, I've never really worked off of it. Ive always just worked off of my internal HDD.

Trying to decide if I should continue to use it strictly for backup with the new system and utilize Google Drive for my files or use it for backup and file hosting. I have unlimited space through work on GD and it will give me access to everything when I am not in the office.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I use google drive for essential files that I need at work and home. You would have no problem with things like word, excel, picture or graphic files. As for videos -I have fiber optic 150Mbps and I don't store any video files I am currently using on my google drive. The lag would be a huge issue.

I do have a Synology NAS at work that is accessible to me over the internet if I need it.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You rotter Lisa.

Rural Australia still plugging along (and I mean plugging) on our super fast ADSL 2+ allegedly, at 6Mbps! I am jealous girl, jealous!!!!! Our former Labour Government started an NBN optic cable rollout. Replaced by a tight fisted Conservative Government who decided after capital cities done, and Canberra of course, the country can't afford it. Money better spent giving big business $50 billion tax break to promote business and jobs.

OP
F
Reaction score
I use google drive for essential files that I need at work and home. You would have no problem with things like word, excel, picture or graphic files. As for videos -I have fiber optic 150Mbps and I don't store any video files I am currently using on my google drive. The lag would be a huge issue.

I do have a Synology NAS at work that is accessible to me over the internet if I need it.

Lisa

I don't do any video editing... I store video provided by a production company but as far as editing, it's only graphics in CC.

Do you work on those essential files while they are hosted on GD or do you move them over to your HD until you are done? Obviously I can test all this here shortly but, Im curious... The back and forth seems kind of a PITA...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
You rotter Lisa.

Rural Australia still plugging along (and I mean plugging) on our super fast ADSL 2+ allegedly, at 6Mbps! I am jealous girl, jealous!!!!! Our former Labour Government started an NBN optic cable rollout. Replaced by a tight fisted Conservative Government who decided after capital cities done, and Canberra of course, the country can't afford it. Money better spent giving big business $50 billion tax break to promote business and jobs.

Stupid thing is that rural communities need effective communications more than the cities where there are so many alternatives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Harry - I have 1.7Mbps at home in my very rural environment so I feel your pain. That is why when the cable company approached my church with an amazing offer to run fiber optics to the church I jumped on it.

fanoftunes - I work on essential files from the Google drive and then save them back to it with no issues at all even when at home on my dismal ADSL connection. I like the fact I can access files on my iPhone too.

Sue - From your lips to the cable provider's ear! I actually live on a stretch of road that is about 3 miles of no cable land. A mile to the north has cable service and two miles to the south had cable service. Unfortunately, there are very few houses in between so no monetary incentive for the cable company in our area.

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.