connecting through linksys router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 867 Mhz 768 MB Ram
Hey everyone,

I am running a G4 Desktop and also using an IBM laptop via WIFI. I have setup the router and am able to connect the laptop w/ WIFI no problem...however I can't get the G4 to connect through the router!! Every light that should be blinking is blinking...all signs point to this being correct, but it won't connect. Any ideas?? IS this a preference thing on the G4??

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 2GB RAM (White)
Just to clarify how you have it set up - is the G4 connected to the router via ethernet and the laptop via wireless? If that's the case, are the cords plugged into the right spots? Meaning, is there a specific WAN port on the router? Also try connecting to the router via the laptop to look at settings on the router itself to make sure it is configured right (usually you can type the IP address of the router in your browser's address bar to access its control panel, check the linksys help site for the specific address that it should be...)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
huffstar said:
Hey everyone,

I am running a G4 Desktop and also using an IBM laptop via WIFI. I have setup the router and am able to connect the laptop w/ WIFI no problem...however I can't get the G4 to connect through the router!! Every light that should be blinking is blinking...all signs point to this being correct, but it won't connect. Any ideas?? IS this a preference thing on the G4??

thanks

My first question to you is, What OS is on that Mac? Is it OSX or OS9?? Do you know what model the Desktop Mac G4 is? What Speed? Trying to figure out which Mac you have and what OS you are running so I can try and help you.

Also how is the G4 hooked into the Router? You should be using a normal Straight Through CAT-5 Cable from the RJ45 jack on the back of the G4 to one of the LAN ports on the router. What Linksys router is it? Can you log into the router from the IBM Laptop? Stock most Linksys routers use 192.168.1.1 as their IP address. Get back to me and I will try and help you.

I use all Linksys Routers here and have 3 G4's on my network. All work great just plugging them in.

...Dennis

If you are running OS9, you have to change a few settings sometimes.

H

himynameischuck

Same sort of problem

I have Imac G4, 800mhz, 256ram osx10.2.8 (i know, it's old)
Linksys WRT54G
Bellsouth DSL
How do I set it up? All the cords are in the right places, I just don't know how to configure it correctly. My Imac can see the router, as well as the ibook that will be used eventually, but that's where they stop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ( I'm definitely not computer illiterate, but I have no real experience with networking, so don't worry about getting too technical on me)
Thanks
Chuck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.