Problem restoring Firefox bookmarks from Time Machine HELP!

Reaction score
I had to reinstall OS Sierra on my mac, not knowing that my firefox bookmarks (7 Years Worth) would not be reinstalled. I have tried using the following steps but, since I am not computer literate, have had no luck. I will list, in between the steps below, what steps I don't understand.

Thanks in advance

Mike

1. Make sure Time Machine is plugged in to your machine and exit Firefox.
2. Make sure all your hidden files are visible - http://www.macworld.com/article/1051...allfinder.html

Using a simple Terminal command, you can work with all the files on your machine from the Finder. Open Terminal, type this command, and press Enter:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
To make the command take effect, you need to restart the Finder. One way to do this is to hold down the Option key, then click and hold on the Finder icon in the Dock. When the contextual menu appears, select Relaunch and the Finder will restart.

( is there a way to know that you did this correctly? that is issued the terminal command?)

3. Navigate to Time Machine in the Finder side menu (don't enter the Time Machine or this doesn't work).

4. Now navigate your way through the file system starting from Backups.backupdb on the Time Machine, through the folder of the date you want to restore from, to Users then Library -> Application Support -> Firefox -> Profiles -> somelettersnumbers.default (varies for everyone I think) -> bookmarkbackups Folder

(how do you navigate thru the file system of time machine?)

5. Now you'll see all the json files of your old bookmarks, in chronological order. (If your hidden files aren't showing you won't find the json files you need.)
6. Take the json file you need and copy it to your current Firefox bookmarks folder (Macintosh HD -> Users -> YourName -> Library -> Application Support -> etc as in file path above.) I deleted all of the newer json files before doing so. They'll still be in your Trash if this goes wrong so don't empty that just yet. Now you should have just one json file that contains all your old bookmarks.
7. You're nearly done but not quite yet. The profile.ini file (located in the directory above) contents need to point to the right folder. So rename it profile.iniOLD (it will ask if you are sure, just check yes). Now copy the Time Machine's profile.ini file over.
8. Restart Firefox. Your old bookmarks should all be there!

Using a simple Terminal command, you can work with all the files on your machine from the Finder. Open Terminal, type this command, and press Enter:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
To make the command take effect, you need to restart the Finder. One way to do this is to hold down the Option key, then click and hold on the Finder icon in the Dock. When the contextual menu appears, select Relaunch and the Finder will restart.
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you set up a Firefox account?

M

MacInWin

I would think it a lot easier to use Finder to navigate to the folder where the bookmarks should be on the Mac, then invoking TM. TM will open, in that folder. Now move backwards in time to find the bookmarks you want, restore them.

If the bookmarks are hidden in ~/Library, to get there open Finder, click on the Go on the top menu bar of the screen, then hold down Shift and Library should appear. Holding shift down, click on Library, then Application Support then Firefox then Profiles then invoke TM and the TM window will open in that same directory, where you can find whatever your somelettersnumbers.default needs to be. Click Restore and you are done. No terminal, no risky stuff with TM backup files.

OP
M
Reaction score
jake,

thanks but i am not really up on computers. could you explain the fix in simpler way with more detail.

thanks,

Mike

M

MacInWin

Mike, not really. That's about as simple as I can make it. If you are not "up" on computers enough to follow my directions, then please, please do not try the method you posted. That is highly risky and way over your skill level.

Try to find someone near you who can follow my directions and ask them for assistance.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Mike

I'm posting the link from Firefox Support which tells you where your Bookmarks are Stored, but understanding, as I do, your need for step-by-step detail, I'll try to guide you though the process.

Firstly, the Link: https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Inst...-your-bookmarks-passwords-and-other/ta-p/4608

Now, on your Mac, close all windows so that you only have the Desktop showing.

Open Finder. Find the Opt key on your Keyboard. Hold it down whilst clicking on Go (found on the top Menu Bar - Apple Icon-Finder-File-Edit-View-GO-Window-Help).

There will be a drop down list. From it, choose Library (about half way down, just underneath Home). Click on Library. This will open a Window.

From the list on your right, choose Application Support; from there, choose Firefox; from there choose Profiles. Stop. Leave things as they are.

Now - go up to the top Menu Bar again and click on the Time Machine (TM) icon. From the Drop Down, click on "Enter Time Machine".

An amazing sight will unfold. A window opens that should look exactly like the one you got to above. Now, look towards the right hand side. You will see a Time Line, starting from now and, as you look upwards, extending back in time.

Select a date from the past which was before you did the re-install. Click on that day/date. Your window will go back in time - wait, be patient. When it settles on your chosen date, you should now see a window just like the one you got to at the start of all this.

Click on Profiles. Then look down to the bottom of the screen. On one side is the word "Restore", on the other "Cancel". Click on Restore. If it asks whether to replace or keep both, choose replace. Wait. When things settle, click on Cancel.

You have now restored your Firefox Profile to what it was before you re-installed your OS.

All this depends, of course, on your TM backup being intact and not corrupted by your earlier actions.

See if that helps.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi Mike

I'm posting the link from Firefox Support which tells you where your Bookmarks are Stored, but understanding, as I do, your need for step-by-step detail, I'll try to guide you though the process.

Firstly, the Link: https://support.mozilla.org/t5/Inst...-your-bookmarks-passwords-and-other/ta-p/4608

Now, on your Mac, close all windows so that you only have the Desktop showing.

Open Finder. Find the Opt key on your Keyboard. Hold it down whilst clicking on Go (found on the top Menu Bar - Apple Icon-Finder-File-Edit-View-GO-Window-Help).

There will be a drop down list. From it, choose Library (about half way down, just underneath Home). Click on Library. This will open a Window.

From the list on your right, choose Application Support; from there, choose Firefox; from there choose Profiles. Stop. Leave things as they are.

Now - go up to the top Menu Bar again and click on the Time Machine (TM) icon. From the Drop Down, click on "Enter Time Machine".

An amazing sight will unfold. A window opens that should look exactly like the one you got to above. Now, look towards the right hand side. You will see a Time Line, starting from now and, as you look upwards, extending back in time.

Select a date from the past which was before you did the re-install. Click on that day/date. Your window will go back in time - wait, be patient. When it settles on your chosen date, you should now see a window just like the one you got to at the start of all this.

Click on Profiles. Then look down to the bottom of the screen. On one side is the word "Restore", on the other "Cancel". Click on Restore. If it asks whether to replace or keep both, choose replace. Wait. When things settle, click on Cancel.

You have now restored your Firefox Profile to what it was before you re-installed your OS.

All this depends, of course, on your TM backup being intact and not corrupted by your earlier actions.

See if that helps.

Ian

Ian,

I followed your instructions, Had to hold down the SHIFT key not the OPT to access the Library folder.

I got to the point where you said "chose profile" so I highlighted the FOLDER Profile.

I then went to Time Machine, had to navigate to the FOLDER Profile and chose replace.

When I attempted to open Firefox I received this notice : unable to load Firefox, your profile is either missing or damaged"

I initially used March 15 as my time machine date which is 2 weeks before I reinstalled Sierra.

I then tried using March 14 and then March 13 with no success

I then deleted the Firefox program and reinstalled it with no success.

Help!

Mike

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Mike

First off, the Option versus Shift conundrum is explained in this link if you find yourself interested. Technically, it should be Option, and it explains why some get the Opt choice, others Shift - also how you can get it to go back to Option again.

http://tidbits.com/article/17159

However, that is a minor point in respect of your difficulties.

I have a few ideas:

you said in post#1:
I had to reinstall OS Sierra on my mac, not knowing that my firefox bookmarks (7 Years Worth) would not be reinstalled

I need to get a handle on how you reinstalled Sierra and, also why you needed too. Why? Well, reinstalling the OS on top of the previous version should leave all your files, folders and settings intact - including bookmarks.

Some possibilities come to mind:

1. You erased the Hard Drive and then reinstalled. Is that what you did, or not?

2. The reason you needed to reinstall Sierra might have a bearing on why things have changed.

3. Can we be sure that the Firefox (FF) bookmarks were fully intact & functional before the reinstall?

4. Again from post#1: to what extent did you attempt to follow the instructions you mentioned? Not at all?; or some of the way?. Terminal, even for the experienced, has to be treated with respect. One missed space, comma, full stop or / command can mess things up good style. I have to consider that a possibility until you assure me otherwise.

5. In trying to follow these instructions, did you enter Time Machine (TM) and, if so, how? (a) via Finder? or (b) by way of the TM icon in the top Menu Bar? If (a), that's not the best way to go and corruption of your FF Profile is a possibility.

I know these are tedious questions and you want answers!! But only you know what you did.

From my perspective, the instructions I posted should have - indeed did - get you to FF Profiles. Question: was there anything shown/listed within Profiles in TM on any of the dates you chose?

Try not to despair, Mike. All of us here will do our very best to get your FF Bookmarks back if that is humanly possible.

Answers to these tiresome questions will go a long way to making that possible.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Ian,

I don't mind answering any and every question you may have, just want to get my Firefox bookmarks back.

1. You erased the Hard Drive and then reinstalled. Is that what you did, or not?

My original problem was that my DVD drive was not working. This machine is from late 2011. I was working with Mac support and they talked me through reinstalling Sierra. Afterwards we did use Time Machine and (another method which I forget the name) to put everything back on my hard drive.

2. The reason you needed to reinstall Sierra might have a bearing on why things have changed.

See above

3. Can we be sure that the Firefox (FF) bookmarks were fully intact & functional before the reinstall?

Firefox and the bookmarks were working fine before.

4. Again from post#1: to what extent did you attempt to follow the instructions you mentioned? Not at all?; or some of the way?. Terminal, even for the experienced, has to be treated with respect. One missed space, comma, full stop or / command can mess things up good style. I have to consider that a possibility until you assure me otherwise.

I did follow the instructions all of the way. I did copy and paste the terminal instructions so hopefully I did not miss anything

5. In trying to follow these instructions, did you enter Time Machine (TM) and, if so, how? (a) via Finder? or (b) by way of the TM icon in the top Menu Bar? If (a), that's not the best way to go and corruption of your FF Profile is a possibility.

I entered Time Machine by way of the TM icon in the top menu bar

Profiles
84c59i7u.default-1445629909277
.parentlock
addons.json
AlternateServices.txt
blocklist-addons.json
blocklist-gfx.json
blocklist-plugins.json
blocklist.xml
bookmarkbackups
bookmarks-2017-02-07_1707_+O8uhvP6ytpBiLDAIBNKBw==.jsonlz4
bookmarks-2017-02-08_1707_TrOI3R4bKwwDBJnOWT-QnQ==.jsonlz4
bookmarks-2017-02-11_1708_LyaKbdcOjEvWC2zh0JKOrw==.jsonlz4
bookmarks-2017-02-12_1711_MuHzo8o85W8c96+QgniAGA==.jsonlz4
bookmarks-2017-02-19_1712_Jd6leiKF3bY4yh327ANovQ==.jsonlz4
bookmarks-2017-02-21_1714_li0-HBShSJmexaFGjYTsig==.jsonlz4
bookmarks-2017-02-22_1716_tdEVW0qpWxUMmxBnnASwRQ==.jsonlz4
bookmarks-2017-02-28_1716_8hhscAl14crtWgqIAgL7hw==.jsonlz4
bookmarks-2017-03-03_1716_9FXRp5PJoOpc1RTOXlFGMQ==.jsonlz4
bookmarks-2017-03-05_1716_8hhscAl14crtWgqIAgL7hw==.jsonlz4
bookmarks-2017-03-06_1722_T4ZGhvx05II4DQXJD-A2eg==.jsonlz4
bookmarks-2017-03-07_1723_H3KnWdnY2jleKIMNQ7AvxQ==.jsonlz4
bookmarks-2017-03-09_1723_U-n7PrwqSCAB4Ehpuz2KhQ==.jsonlz4
bookmarks-2017-03-11_1724_Xnu6yJwUaaNNNZGnzGq-uQ==.jsonlz4
bookmarks-2017-03-12_1728_ZAvNox+QHRu5X5gI9+tXNw==.jsonlz4

I went into the library folder, following the instructions, and copied the above that is under profiles if this helps!

Mike

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Reading through this it occurred to me at your terrific Post#7 Ian, that it will only work if the files were intact in the first place or part of the reason the reinstall was required. We are also unclear as to how all of the data was restored.
Just trying to think laterally I don't suppose our OP ever used Safari? If so Safari may have asked if it should load bookmarks from Firefox. That being the case many if not all of the bookmarks in Firefox may also be in Safari.
Just a thought.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello again, Mike.

Afterwards we did use Time Machine and (another method which I forget the name) to put everything back on my hard drive.

I suspect this was by using an app called Migration Assistant - ring any bells? That is the correct way and should migrate your Account and all your Files, Folders, Settings and Bookmarks.

As I understand things, everything else on your Mac has been restored and is working correctly??

Jake, in post #11, pointed out:
it will only work if the files were intact in the first place
. This is, of course, absolutely true.

That brings me back to theory number one: as regards Terminal, you said:
I did follow the instructions all of the way. I did copy and paste the terminal instructions so hopefully I did not miss anything
. Okay, let's hope that nothing went amiss there.

I asked about how you entered Time Machine (TM) - the Instructions in your first post indicated that you should enter via the Finder Sidebar -
"navigate your way through the file system starting from Backups.backupdb on the Time Machine"
. But you said that
I entered Time Machine by way of the TM icon in the top menu bar

I think your answer is in respect of my instructions; which is the correct way; but Mike, when following the original instructions, as in your first post, did you enter then via Finder Sidebar and navigate through the file system from Backups.backupdb on the TM??

Finally, Jake also came up with another good point: ever used Safari? Ever copied over your Bookmarks from it to Firefox? Long shot, but.....

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Hello again, Mike.

I suspect this was by using an app called Migration Assistant - ring any bells? That is the correct way and should migrate your Account and all your Files, Folders, Settings and Bookmarks.

As I understand things, everything else on your Mac has been restored and is working correctly??

Jake, in post #11, pointed out: . This is, of course, absolutely true.

That brings me back to theory number one: as regards Terminal, you said: . Okay, let's hope that nothing went amiss there.

I asked about how you entered Time Machine (TM) - the Instructions in your first post indicated that you should enter via the Finder Sidebar -. But you said that .

I think your answer is in respect of my instructions; which is the correct way; but Mike, when following the original instructions, as in your first post, did you enter then via Finder Sidebar and navigate through the file system from Backups.backupdb on the TM??

Finally, Jake also came up with another good point: ever used Safari? Ever copied over your Bookmarks from it to Firefox? Long shot, but.....

Ian

Ian,

hi, yes now that you mention it, I did use migration assistant as per the Apple person who instructed me on the telephone.

Yes, everything else on the computer is working fine. I do want to point out that when I now attempt to load Firefox I get the following message "your Firefox profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible".

As far as I know the files were intact, if there is a problem I go further back in time machine?

I certainly hope I didn't screw anything up via terminal.

I believe I followed the directions correctly, that is entering Time Machine by way of the Time Machine icon in the top menu bar.

I never used Safari before and did not copy my bookmarks from it to Firefox.

Did the folders that I copied and pasted in the last email give you any idea of what's wrong?

Thanks again, hopefully we will solve this.

Mike

M

MacInWin

Ian, I'm going to drop out of this thread and let you and Mike continue. He may want to go back further in TM to see if a profile can be restored. IF that doesn't work, reinstall FF and then see if JUST the bookmarks can be found. That's going to be some work, going through all those numbered files, if it can be done at all. Right now he has a bad installation of FF and no profile.

One thought. Maybe a nuke/format/reinstall the OS and repeat MA all over again? Kind of a shot in the dark, but at least you'd know where he stands. That terminal action has put the system in some truly unknown state and we're just poking around in the dark trying to find out what all those terminal commands did.

One more comment. I just now finally got my wife to get rid of FF. She was having problems with it slowing her entire machine and finally got fed up enough to try Safari and discover that it works for her better than FF anyway. IMHO, FF is no longer a product that anybody should use.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
IMHO, FF is no longer a product that anybody should use.

Have to agree. I was an avid FF user back when I ran Windows and Linux but considering that the other option in Windows at the time was IE, it was an easy choice to make. However, both Safari and Chrome in my opinion are superior to FF. As a matter of fact, I would rather use Opera before I use FF.

OP
M
Reaction score
I would be more than happy to switch to either Safari or chrome once we relocate the Firefox bookmarks and move them over.

I'm game to try anything,

Mike

OP
M
Reaction score
hello all,

I finally fixed the problem and I will lay out how I did it.

Opening application support, I would open Firefox, then open profiles. I would then go into Time Machine, go back six months and replace the profile.

This never worked, the computer kept telling me that the profile was either missing or corrupted.

I then deleated Firefox using appcleaner, reinstalled Firefox and went through the same procedure with the same results .

I then had the idea to use Time Machine to reinstall Firefox completely. Lo and behold it work, I have Firefox up and running with all my bookmarks once again .

Cheers,

Michael

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear you finally got your bookmarks back. Now all you need to do is use a good backup program like Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Much easier to restore from than Time Machine. But you did good as most folks never even bother making backups. :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Micheal that is great and very handy information for this forum so thanks for the feedback. So did you simply restore the Firefox app in the Application folder?

OP
M
Reaction score
I used Time Machine and restored Firefox in the application support folder, I hope that explains it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.