Case for new 9.7" iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 Mini, i7. iPhone XS Max, 9.7" iPad
Having a heck of a time trying to find good cases for the new 9.7" iPad (2017 not Pro). Anyone have any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The new 2017 9.7" iPad is exactly the same size as the previous 9.7" iPads (iPad 3 as an example). Should be plenty to choose from. Try Amazon.com and have you checked out the cases that Apple sells?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looking over the tech specs, the previous gen iPads are a bit bigger than the new one.

Height: 9.4 inches (240 mm)
Width: 6.6 inches (169.5 mm)
Depth: 0.29 inch (7.5 mm)

iPad 3/4
Height: 9.50 inches (241.2 mm)
Width: 7.31 inches (185.7 mm)
Depth: 0.37 inch (9.4 mm)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I always look at Apple for iPad cases and covers. I ended getting a Logitech case for my iPad Pro, because it has a lighted keyboard. I did just try the Apple Smart Cover with keyboard and the neoprene cas, but returned them because I felt the logitech worked and was less expensive. My wife just got an iPad Air 2 and she went to a few places and chose one from Target.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Looking over the tech specs, the previous gen iPads are a bit bigger than the new one.

Well, agree w/ the others, i.e. I like 'smart covers' whether made by Apple or others, so as said check Apple - if not pleased w/ their choices, then go to Amazon and enter 'new iPad covers' - below are the top 3 hits of many in my search under their Electronics category - if you want to see and handle the covers first, then visit one or more stores locally, such as an Apple store, if available. Now you did not say what type of cover you want, e.g. a simple smart cover, one w/ a keyboard, or even a more complex unit - might help others give a more specific recommendation. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 11.26.34 AM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Having a heck of a time trying to find good cases for the new 9.7" iPad (2017 not Pro). Anyone have any suggestions?

What features does an iPad case need to have...to be a "good case" for you? And conversely...what makes an iPad case "bad" or undesirable to you?

Help us understand your needs...so we can help you better.:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What features does an iPad case need to have...to be a "good case" for you? And conversely...what makes an iPad case "bad" or undesirable to you?

Help us understand your needs...so we can help you better.:)

- Nick

I contacted a few companies with products for other iPads to see if they were developing something for this iPad. I've only heard back from Zagg, who said they had no ETA. I really like the Zagg Rugged Book, which has most if not all of the features I'm looking for. It is tough and protects the tablet. It has a hinged keyboard attachment which can be removed for traditional tablet use. I may just have to wait and see if they come out with one for the new iPad.

I'm not a fan of the Apple cover that they have. I'm looking for something will protect on all sides.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the additional info.:) Sounds like you want a "Cadillac of a case"...and weight/size is not an issue. Also sounds like Zagg makes exactly what you want...too bad they don't currently make one for the newsest iPad. And maybe worse...no ETA when they will.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the additional info.:) Sounds like you want a "Cadillac of a case"...and weight/size is not an issue. Also sounds like Zagg makes exactly what you want...too bad they don't currently make one for the newsest iPad. And maybe worse...no ETA when they will.

- Nick

Yeah, I definitely have very specific needs haha.

I did confirm today that iPad Air (1) cases should fit the iPad 2017. They have identical dimensions. The only difference may be the button placement. It looks like the volume buttons were moved up a bit when they removed the screen rotation/silent switch.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I definitely have very specific needs haha.

Hey. It's your hard earned money. You should get exactly what you want...or at least as best that fits your needs that is available.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.