New email window size cannot be adjusted

Reaction score
All of a sudden, the email window that pops up when you click 'new message' in Apple Mail has become huge. Top to bottom it's fine, the width of it stretches way off the screen and is at least two full screens wide. If I move to the right of it and click and drag the bottom right (or anywhere on the right) of the window, it can only make it larger, but not smaller.

It was fine and then all of a sudden it started doing this.

I'm running 10.12.3 and Mail is version 10.2

It's a pretty frustrating problem. :S

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Reflex

Trouble-seeking, I think anyway, is best started when using the latest version of the OS. macOS Sierra is now 10.12.4 and I would advise you to update to that now. It takes no time at all and is strongly recommended.

I would then reboot the Mac.

Now, see if that solves the problem.

If not, I have other suggestions; but let's start from there:)

Ian

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the response! I just updated to 10.12.4. Same problem persists.

M

MacInWin

Try dragging the left edge toward the middle, then drag the window over a bit and repeat until the opposite edge appears.

OP
R
Reaction score
Try dragging the left edge toward the middle, then drag the window over a bit and repeat until the opposite edge appears.

No, that doesn't work either. I can only resize up and down, not left to right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
What type of a Mac is it? Did you use an external monitor with it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, that doesn't work either. I can only resize up and down, not left to right.

Check to see if you have accidentally turned the Zoom feature on: System Preferences, Accessibility, Zoom.

OP
R
Reaction score
What type of a Mac is it? Did you use an external monitor with it?
It's a MacBook Pro Retina (Late 2013). Yes, I use an external monitor, but the problem persists on both the laptop itself and when connected to the monitor.

Check to see if you have accidentally turned the Zoom feature on: System Preferences, Accessibility, Zoom.
Just checked that. Negative.

It was working fine one minute then all of a sudden it went to this enormous message composing window. Any other suggestions? This giant window is driving me crazy.. haha

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Couple of thoughts occur to me that might need to be checked out.
1. When the Mail window is open does the menubar appear at the top of the screen? If it doesn't poi may be in full screen mode. Try pressing the Escape key.
2. If you quit Mail and then re-open it does the window appear as a more appropriate size?

OP
R
Reaction score
Couple of thoughts occur to me that might need to be checked out.
1. When the Mail window is open does the menubar appear at the top of the screen? If it doesn't poi may be in full screen mode. Try pressing the Escape key.
2. If you quit Mail and then re-open it does the window appear as a more appropriate size?

Yes, the menu appears. It's not in full screen mode.

I've tried quitting the program and restarting. Same issue persists.

OP
R
Reaction score
I just discovered something else. I'm using IMAP, but still have my old POP account enabled as I need the history from it. If I open a fresh email send window in my IMAP email. I can't resize it. If I switch it to come from my old POP email, then I can resize it no problem at all. If I switch back to IMAP, I can no longer resize it.

It WAS working fine in IMAP for the longest time, then it suddenly just changed to giving me this super long window which is extremely frustrating.

Hopefully this new information will help in finding a solution. All and any advice is appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Do you have Onyx, https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/index.html, make sure you have the correct version of Onyx for your version of macOS, they are version specific. Click on the Automation page, under Rebuilding, make sure Mail's Mailboxes option is checked. Then hit execute.

Reaction score
It worked

All of a sudden, the email window that pops up when you click 'new message' in Apple Mail has become huge.

I tried removing the signature (select no signature) on a new mail window and it resized the window. All new mail windows seem to OK. I hope it works for you as well.

Sam
Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 2.57.46 PM.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.