Very Disappointed

Reaction score
I begged my daughter to go Mac for 2 years, she finally got a 15in. MacPro, what a piece of junk. She used it for 2 weeks, the right speaker doesn't work, when it does it is real low and you can hear static. It takes 3 or 4 tries to close the lid, it's warped from the heat I would guess. I will say one thing, we went to the Apple store last night, it was mobbed, I stated my complaints as calmly as I could. They were very understanding, but I told them my daughter just drove over 300 miles to get here and she wants her money back and not a replacement, the manager came over and took us aside and told us he understood, then talked her into a 17 in for no extra charge. I was more embarrassed than anything else always bragging how great my PB works. She told me she was sitting in class with the MacPro on and it was whining so loud everyone was looking at her. I just got a new PB 17 in, she wants to trade me, she doesn't want to take the chance of having problems. I tried to explain that every new OS will have problems and so will the MacPro's, it's a new thing too. I'm glad I got a new PB instead of a MacPro until everything is worked out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Sorry to hear about the bad experience. I have heard about temp. solutions for whining by individuals. Your daughter is not the only one went through this. So, I guess Apple will release an update addressing this issue.

M

MJGUK

Sorry to hear about that, hopefully they made some necessary revisions to the 17" model....One can only hope :)

C

caveatipss

jram said:
I begged my daughter to go Mac for 2 years, she finally got a 15in. MacPro, what a piece of junk. She used it for 2 weeks, the right speaker doesn't work, when it does it is real low and you can hear static. It takes 3 or 4 tries to close the lid, it's warped from the heat I would guess. I will say one thing, we went to the Apple store last night, it was mobbed, I stated my complaints as calmly as I could. They were very understanding, but I told them my daughter just drove over 300 miles to get here and she wants her money back and not a replacement, the manager came over and took us aside and told us he understood, then talked her into a 17 in for no extra charge. I was more embarrassed than anything else always bragging how great my PB works. She told me she was sitting in class with the MacPro on and it was whining so loud everyone was looking at her. I just got a new PB 17 in, she wants to trade me, she doesn't want to take the chance of having problems. I tried to explain that every new OS will have problems and so will the MacPro's, it's a new thing too. I'm glad I got a new PB instead of a MacPro until everything is worked out.

I am sorry for the problems. As for heat, remember that computers are delicate electronic machines and very, very sensitive to temperature. That is all computers by nature. I live in a sub-tropical climate, and must be very careful with computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I am impressed that the Manager tried to create goodwill by offering a free upgrade to the more expensive model. It doesn't necessarily make up for the shortcomings of your 15" but its much better than them not offering anything.

C

caveatipss

Of course, he could have just given him his money back like he asked lol. But still, it was a good thing to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
Don't get me wrong, I know he could have just returned the guys money and they both would have been on their way, but doing what he did gave him the chance the keep the guy's business and build goodwill towards future purchases.

C

caveatipss

Oh I agree. It was a great manager's move, but not the greatest consumer's deal.

OP
jram
Reaction score
That was nice of the manager to do that, I think it was about 300$ and I think it has a 2.16GHz plus 800 firewire and 3 USB and one 400 firewire. I told her if she didn't like the MacPro, she could have my new PB,I just got it 2 weeks ago, not even out of the box yet. I'm still using my 17 in. 1.50 GHz PB. I just wanted the old PB before there gone. The only old models the have left was iBooks and 15 in.PB, G4's 1.50GHz I'm sure everything will work out, it's just I'm always bragging how great the Mac is built, she doesn't understand there new and problems will happen. Everyone else I know has no problem with the MacPro yet.

C

caveatipss

True. Compared to the problems I've had with PCs over the years, I would take a melted Mac Book any day! lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Apple Care should fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
Yeah glad to hear the Apple store manager handled it properly! The first release of any major piece of hardware is always prone to bugs; we really lucked out with a good one when we bought our iMac Core Duo. Just realize that no matter how much you love any company, they will always have problems. Even if manufacturing defects only affect 1% of their product, that's still thousands and thousands of machines that are faulty. It's good to hear about a good experience at the Mac store; it's a bummer that the hardware was bad but it sounds like they made right with you. Hope the 17" model works out well!

H

Harryc

Just an observation (or two). First is that the right speaker being broken could have been easily fixed by Apple care. The second is that it seems many folks are counting on the 17" MBP's to NOT have the whine. For their sakes I do hope that is true, but Apple has stated time and time again that the whine is 'within specs' for the Intel Core DUO MBP's. What makes folks think that the 17" will be different?. What do you think the 1000's of 15" owners will do (if their MBP's that have this 'whine' problem) if/when Apple releases a Core DUO laptop that is virtually silent? Interesting times are ahead :). What is 'within specs' then? Personally I got lucky with a silent and 100% functional MBP that I would not trade for the world.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.