simple linksys router question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
hello everybody, I have to make changes to my router, don't have physical access to it, but I was called by my parents and they are having problems with the router and want me to look at the setting and change some things (simple stuff; change the password, change some port forwarding options, etc.) Here is my question, i will not be able to get physical access to the computer to the network for a while, i know that some routers (like the one at my beach house) can be accessed by using the external ip address, but you need to access a certain port, my question is what port is that? and does linksys have that ability? I looked it up online but can't find that information out. Thanks in advanced for helping me with this simple question

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Linksys is usually set to port 8080 for remote but that has to be turned on when you are configuring it. Did you ever enable that option? If so you can remote administer any Linksys I have ever owned or worked with. 8080 is the stock configuration.

Hope that helps you.

Edit, I just did a double check to be sure. port 8080 but remote management has to be enabled. I have helped many friends with their routers from my house. All Linksys.

OP
PowerBookG4
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
thanks that is what i was looking for.. to bad i did not enable remote administration, next time i am home I will have to fix it for them, then i will also enable remote administration, so i won't have to worry about this again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.