macOS Sierra 10.12.4 Now Available To Download

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As stated, 10.12.4 is ready to be downloaded. Be sure to backup first!

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Additionally, updates are available for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Just installed MacOS and all is well.
iOS also installed and that made my iPhone a bit more responsive.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some folks may be wondering if with this latest update that the new Apple File System has been installed (APFS) since it was installed with the latest update to iOS. The answer is no. APFS will likely be installed with a future update as it's still being tested. Also there are a number of things to be worked out before it can be deployed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well I am on board, sign me up skippy!! The new iOS update has the ability to track AirPods!!! ...Now all I need is a set of AirPods! ;D Oh, wait that is just for my iPhone.... :[

Seriously, I am glad they are holding off on the new APFS for Sierra. When that comes out I will have to try it out on my MBPro first. If I lose any file or it messes up I won't be that upset. I have a large fear of anything new that messes with the filing system. That may be the first update that I will wait an extended period of time to install.

Lisa

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'll definitely be doing a full backup and maybe trying it on an external drive first. That would be the easiest path backward if there is an issue. It's time for a new OS. The current one turns 20 next year but that's always a potential problem and it will certainly take a while for the disk utilities to catch up.

IIRC that file system change was rumored to have been in the works for the initial release of Sierra.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seriously, I am glad they are holding off on the new APFS for Sierra. When that comes out I will have to try it out on my MBPro first. If I lose any file or it messes up I won't be that upset. I have a large fear of anything new that messes with the filing system. That may be the first update that I will wait an extended period of time to install.

Hey Lisa... remember when MS decided to no longer allow WinNT to use FAT-32? That was a mess forcing everyone over to NTFS, but MS never relented and pressed on. Switching over to APFS from HFS+ might be even more of a mess for Apple considering what it means to developers. Especially those developers of utilities that work with the low levels of OS X. Should be interesting times ahead!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hey Lisa... remember when MS decided to no longer allow WinNT to use FAT-32? That was a mess forcing everyone over to NTFS, but MS never relented and pressed on. Switching over to APFS from HFS+ might be even more of a mess for Apple considering what it means to developers. Especially those developers of utilities that work with the low levels of OS X. Should be interesting times ahead!

Yes, I remember - or I am still trying to forget. There was a purpose to that down the road. With the limit of 4GB file size with Fat32 not to mention the 2TB drive size limits the move to NTFS had to happen as the different OS's came along and capacity expanded. I do believe Microsoft thumbed their noses at Apple though when they wrote NTFS by not making it totally compatible with Unix based systems.

As for APFS, I have a wide variety of drive types (SSD & HDD) in my MP and I am more than a bit concerned. So, when the time comes, I will sacrifice my Macbook Pro for the sake of discovery and learning. I will also wait for others to take the plunge and see how it goes.

Is APFS out in beta yet?

Lisa

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is APFS out in beta yet?

No, not yet. Apple today released the first beta of 10.12.5 to developers and the beta team but no sign of APFS being included. I suspect if we don't see it in the next two releases of Sierra, we won't see it until 10.13.X.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Based on the little that I've read thus far I don't expect it until 10.13.0. Whenever the public beta is released that has it I'll give it a try. My only question is can I restrain myself long enough to do a full CCC backup first.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just think of all that great material you'll have for the Sunday nite chat when the first public beta of APFS appears. You'll need a bigger blackboard professor! ;P Think I better turn in and get some sleep. zzzzzz

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL. That had occurred to me. I know most of the changes aren't supposed to be apparent to most users but I bet there will be lots of confusion.

I'm heading off too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
Am I being paranoid?

I have had my present iMac for just over two years and when I used to shut it down the screen would go dark and then a little wheel revolved followed by a noticeable CLICK as the computer switched off.

I assumed that this was the normal state of affairs but since I updated to Version 10.12.4 and now when I switch it off the screen still darkens but no wheel spins and there is no CLICK! The screen does seem to go from darker to black.

It is difficult to tell if my iMac is actually switched off but when I switch it on again it plays the usual tune and goes through the normal processes and starts as it used to. Another clue, I think, as to whether or not it has switched off is that the light goes out on the external Time Machine hard drive.

Well, am I paranoid?

Last edited:
OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're not being paranoid, however, it's really best to just put your iMac to sleep rather than shut it down. That will save wear and tear on the electronic components of your Mac. The greatest stress on those components are when you first turn it on. However, it's up to you.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
I had never considered that. Thanks for planting the seed.

Having done a little bit of research the general consensus supports your views but can be a bit contradictory with the suggestion that some moving parts, HDD for instance, spin down.

I have my energy saving mode switched off at present so my iMac is always fully on during the day time and switched fully off at night. To test things I just selected 'Sleep' from the drop down menu and it gave the impression of being shut down until I hit the keyboard and everything came back to life - as it should.

I have not been able to find out what exactly goes to sleep but think I will try it your way, apart from when on holiday of course.

Hopefully some one will be able to confirm that the different shut down with 10.12.4 is 'normal'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks.

I'll sleep tonight (while my iMac sleeps);-)

Reaction score
Just installed 10.12.5, so far so good, it went smoothly as have all the beta updates. What a refreshing change from "Windows Updates".

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Just installed 10.12.5

Hey Pasquanel

You're well ahead of us here. We can only get 10.12.4. What's your secret?:);)

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Did the upgrade as well and everything is good and goes to show that Apple doesn't always say what it fixed, but an issue I was having my modifier keys configuration not sticking is resolved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.