So ISPs to sell your browsing Data? Is this a Joke?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I love the utter paranoia and fear over this. I think it's mostly cuz of Trump, and there's an overwhelming need to loathe and despise him and everything he does, so here's just another thing.

I don't fear or have any paranoia over this recent development. And for the record, I don't loathe or despise Trump at all. I just resent the tracking of all I do although I am aware privacy is fastly disappearing. I do resent this recent new law of letting providers sell what I do on the internet and sell it to some advertiser who can analyze my data and target me. I am aware it has been going on and that some companies are saying they don't do it but each year companies chip away at what they will and won't do.

Not paranoia just tired of the lack of privacy we have today.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not paranoia just tired of the lack of privacy we have today.

You would think that young folks today to be more aware of this than folks our age, but the opposite is true. Nowadays, they think nothing of putting their private photos and whatever else they're doing up on the net for the whole world to see.

OP
S
Reaction score
Guys what's the new status about this news? have they legalized and let isps sell our data or is there someone re-appealing that matter!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe this article says it better: https://www.yahoo.com/tech/isps-now-sell-private-data-152003886.html
The article says that supposedly you will be able to opt out of data collection if you contact your provider.

sarasharrock for those of us who have been around for a while, we have seen the steady chipping away of our privacy - and freedoms. It is like the frog in the pot of water. All is great for the frog until the water is heated to a temperature that begins to cook the frog. This is what I see happening today. What to me is so sad is how younger people don't realize what is happening or what they are missing. The internet has opened a whole new level of exploitation. People - young and old - assume a level of privacy that does not exist on the internet. This latest news ISPs selling information is just another upping of the heat of the water. :Smirk:

I do not believe the president has signed the final bill yet though.

Lisa

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
You would think that young folks today to be more aware of this than folks our age, but the opposite is true. Nowadays, they think nothing of putting their private photos and whatever else they're doing up on the net for the whole world to see.

This is so true.

I am shy of commenting on US practices, so I'll stick with the UK.

People a third of my age (and younger; gosh I must be getting on a bit) will happily post on Facebook their birthday party celebrations along with "I'm 30 already...oh me oh my...". Okay, so now I know your Birth Day (today) and your Date of Birth because you're 30.

And look, there's a picture of your BMW with its Registration Number as clear as daylight - parked nicely in front of your house (can I just make out the number on the door?). And your dog's called Floppy (bet that's one of your passwords). And there's baby Felix and older sister Josie.

Go back in their Timeline - astonishing what they see fit to post - club memberships, hobbies, wedding day......and so forth. No need to go on. Challenge them - "don't see the problem, man!"

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Challenge them - "don't see the problem, man!" Ian

Until they have their identity stolen. At which time they are totally amazed followed by the quote: "I don't understand, I didn't do anything and am always careful." Right....

Lisa

Reaction score
The US Government just reverted back to the pre-Obama privacy laws, allowing ISPs to track & sell our web histories. Since you are on their network they basically have more information on you than your own parents. ISPs technically know your address, phone numbers, emails, chat IDs, Skype IDs, banking information and everything else there is to know about you. And it’s not just you, your family, friends, parents and colleagues are all there too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
The US Government just reverted back to the pre-Obama privacy laws, allowing ISPs to track & sell our web histories. Since you are on their network they basically have more information on you than your own parents. ISPs technically know your address, phone numbers, emails, chat IDs, Skype IDs, banking information and everything else there is to know about you. * And it’s not just you, your family, friends, parents and colleagues are all there too.

*-emphasis mine

That's not entirely true...

First of all, the only thing that changed from the ISPs' perspective is that the stricter FCC privacy rule, that would have become effective late in this fall, had been repealed. In another word, the law did not change anything... as of yet. That means the ISPs operate the same way as they've been doing all along.

Second of all, you can retrieve your email securely, even from your ISP's emaill account through SSL/TLS connection. Not much use on your home desktop since the ISP hosts the email server and has access to all of your emails there. Both Skype and banking information are TLS/SSL connection by default, don't know about chat programs, but the chances are that they use SSL/TLS as well. If your ISP utilizes SSL/TLS proxy, or requires the acceptance as such, you should cancel your ISP services. I know I would...

Yes, the ISP will know that you connected to Skype, your bank, etc., but does not know the content. You can use VPN tunnel, Tor, etc., for hiding these addresses, but the ISP still going to get them. Most people use the DHCP settings for their ISP connection, that assigns the address for the DNS servers. The ISP can collect the logs from the DNS server and know the websites you asked the address for and you visited. Using DNSCrypt would eliminate the ISP DNS server footprint for your internet access. The only thing the ISP would know that you've connected to the VPN server address and/or the first Tor node. No other addresses/websites would be visible to them...

You really need to know how the ISP connection works in order to minimize your browser's footprint left behind in their logs. And that's the best you can do, minimize...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Posting the response above, this is how my Tor circuit looks like:

10.04.2017 circuit.jpg

Every time I open the Tor browser, it is a different circuit. Yes, I admit that I live in the Ukraine... today... :Smirk: :) :Evil:

And here's the DNSCrypt proxy running on my system:

dnscrypt.jpg

The only thing the ISP sees is with this session, I've connected to 163.172.157.213. Do they know that it is a Tor node? Of course they do, but that's all...

PS: I am not a hacker, just fed up with everyone is trying to collect my browsing habits, display loads of ads, etc. I have not used my Tor browser for connecting to ".onion" address as of yet, just regular .com, .net, .org, etc., addresses...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well just to scare you Facebook sells on all your information.

Reaction score
Don't Panic.

Check with your ISP to find out what their privacy policy is and whether they have an opt-out plan for personal and browsing data. If they have an opt-out plan, then take that and you'd just don't have to worry about it.

If they don't have an opt-out plan, or if their privacy plan says something like "we may share your browsing history with our marketing partners," then you have to decide whether this really is an issue. And now, you can decide whether you need a VPN or to use some other method to preserve your privacy.

And for a recommendation, I'm personally using PureVPN for MAC and it has been 2 years since I got it. Works fine for me, has all the required features of which internet kill switch, split tunneling and DNS leak protection are of most use for me. I also love their chrome app, blocks all the useless ads and malware coming through the browser.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well harryb i am aware of the fact that facebook along with google already shares and keep all our browsing activity and our queries that we do, so that they can sell us the right product. Also have you heard about Prism is a program to monitor our activity backed by NSA, Google and likes of other tech giants so we are not safe thats for sure. But as long as they keep our activity only to sell us right dresses and sandles i have no issues but if they are even reading conversations and keeping track of checkins, GPS tag and all like happening in Australia for Meta Data than i think using mac vpn would be very ok.

@IanWright no we are not panicking, i am just wondering are we really tax paying citizen, and right companies can do whatever they like and government doesn't take anyone's consideration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sarah there is a thread on here about new Samsung TV's recording viewers comments and sending back ton the mother ship!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.