need an external USB3 hard drive. any recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I want small, and 1TB in size. and one that just plugs into USB with no extra power chords to plug in. and Id like a good price. any recommendations? thanks. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lots to choose from. Check on Amazon.com, Best Buy, Staples, NewEgg, etc. Just about every portable external hard drive sold works from USB 3.0 bus power. You can buy 1 TB portable drives $50 - $75. Shop around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I want small, and 1TB in size. and one that just plugs into USB with no extra power chords to plug in. and Id like a good price. any recommendations? thanks. :)

Agree w/ Chscag - plenty of options - just another Amazon LINK - I own over a half dozen external HDs, all are bus-powered - a couple are thunderbolt connections to my iMac for TM backups (Buffalo & OWC 1 TB drives) - for my laptops and CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner), a mixture of brands (Western Digital, Seagate, OWC, and a LaCie SSD) - Other World Computing is a site often recommended here - I have 2 of their external HDs, a little larger than the others and w/ a 'space-look' appearance (which I like) - look @ the reviews and good luck. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As they all come out of only a couple of factories in Thailand, you pays your buck and takes your chances.

Suggest looking for one with a three year warranty. They do come on special from time to time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
is it wise or safe to give an old drive away? it still works I just don't want it because its big and not bus powered. I used disk utility and wiped it, zeroing out data with one pass. should I be overly worried about giving this drive to someone? or should I just destroy and trash it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
is it wise or safe to give an old drive away? it still works I just don't want it because its big and not bus powered. I used disk utility and wiped it, zeroing out data with one pass. should I be overly worried about giving this drive to someone? or should I just destroy and trash it?

If it were me...I would feel ok about giving it away. Especially since you did at least a one pass zero out data. "One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure".:)

Actually I might have been a little extra careful & run the zero out data/secure erase a couple times. But doing it at least once is important.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Agree with Nick about doing the security erase more than once. I usually do mine at least three times before "assuming" it's safe to throw away or give away. Of course if you're really paranoid about security, a 20 Lb sledge hammer works best. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree, I've had 4 external HDs and three have failed. The 4th a Western Digital is still going.

REDUNDACY is your best friend - :) I have my iMac & MBPro backed up to TMx2 and CCCx2, so a total of 4 discs for each machine; also own a MBAir (my travel computer w/o much of importance on the drive) - just doing 1 HD each for TM & CCC - also on the iMac have personal folders going to Carbonite online and for my MBPro the same folders on a LaCie SSD - doing OK w/ this setup on Apple computers; in my PC days on Windows, I had at least 2 if not 3 external BU HDs fail. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.