• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

No sound when importing on iMovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 8-core MacPro | '12 MBA | iPad 2 16GB | iPhone 5C 16GB
I downloaded part of an episode of "Cribs" off of Limewire just so I could import the clip and cut everything out except the title. However, when I imported it then played it in iMovie there was no sound, only the video was imported-a waste of 25mins.

Anybody know why it's doing this? Could it be because I didn't download the whole file? I just downloaded it then when it got past the point that I needed I cancelled the download, went into my "Incomplete" folder and imported the preview of the vid into iMovie, that should've worked right? Any help would be appreciated, it's for a project that I'd like to get finished with soon.

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
What format did you download? Perhaps iMovie can natively use the sound track? I'm just guessing. Perhaps you'll need to convert the file. Or perhaps you'll need to download the whole thing.

Reaction score
Its possible limewire dowloads the sound after the video, but I don't really know. Try playing the file in Quicktime. If the sound still doesn't play there you need to download the entire thing. If it does play you need to convert the audio to something iMovie can use like Aiff or Mp3

OP
Sexy Patrol
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for my delayed response, I got caught up in other things. As far as the video clip goes, the whole thing is downloaded in .mpg format and when I play it in Quicktime the sound is there. How would I convert it? Do I need to extract the audio or convert the entire clip?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Mackbook 2g ram 2ghz, g3 powerPC 600Mhz, 30g video pod
is the sound box checked ?

OP
Sexy Patrol
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah all 3 of the boxes are checked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I've seen a similar problem with my Sony digital still camera's videos.

Search the forums for ffmpegx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Unless you legally own a copy of "Cribs" this could be classified as piracy which is highly frowned upon here....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Could be the infamous Multiplexed Mpeg-1/2 commonly used in DVD rips that the supplier doesn't want edited or converted. If it is the Multiplexed Mpeg-1/2 it cannot be converted or edited. Control-Click it and hit Get Info to find out if it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless you legally own a copy of "Cribs" this could be classified as piracy which is highly frowned upon here....
im sure hes not going to use it to make profit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
campayne said:
im sure hes not going to use it to make profit

Regardless, the rules are rather explicit:

Illegal Activity: Mac-Forums.com recognizes that this is an international community and as such it is your responsibility to determine what is legal in your jurisdiction with regard to any topic discussed here.

However, in general, we choose to follow United States law in regard to what is permissible to be discussed here. Therefore discussion of illegal file sharing, cracked programs, requests for serial numbers, and any other breaches of copyright or other illegal activity are not allowed in these forums.

So unless he legally owns it already, he could be considered in violation. All up to the staff though.....

OP
Sexy Patrol
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My apologies guys, we're just making a "Cribs" spoof to promote our fall retreat for our church. All the footage is our own, we just wanted to use the intro so people understood it a bit better. But if it's considered piracy then I guess I have to do without. :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
watch the intro.. look at it and see how it was done.. and with some creative editing you can make one of your own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
baggss, thanks for the info.

powerbookg4, i think if he is only using imovie he prob has no idea about motion, plus that complex blueprint they use on cribs would be reraly complicated even for the most skilled motion master

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.