• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Mac pro 1.1 too elderly for video editing ?

Reaction score
Hello All

Question for all you mac fans with more experience in these matters.. I had had for quite a while a mac pro 1.1 . Whilst more than adequate at most tasks I am starting to get in to video editing. Using Premiere pro I find the machine bogs down which makes it difficult to edit with.. I have changed all but the graphics card.. Max 32gb ram installed and 3ghz processors.. Will reformatting the machine and add a more recent graphics card make this machine more useable ? If so any recomendations for a better graphics card...?

Thanks in advance

spec.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When using a 2006 Mac Pro (11 year-old computer)...it will probably run best with software that is more "vintage" to the computer. If trying to run brand new applications on an old Mac Pro...you may experience performance issues. And with an older video card...newer apps won't run as speedy.

I would also mention...that if this is truly a Mac Pro 1,1...a good bit of modification has been done to it. There were no 8-core Mac Pro 1,1's (first 8-core Mac Pro's were Mac Pro 2,1's from 2007). So this Mac Pro would to have been upgraded with two quad core CPU's. And...official max OS version on Mac Pro 1,1's is 10.7.5. Thus some firmware & software patching has been done to get it to run Yosemite (10.10.5).

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi yes

the original graphics card was replaced to allow this newer OS to work..I believe it originally had 2.66 GHz D. Core Xeon 5150 x2 processors.. Similar in spec to the 2.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You do not say what app you plan to use for video editing. From the specs you list it should do fine with iMovie. It should handle Final Cut Pro BUT the biggest holdback will be the video card. Premiere CC will also have issues with the video card. Both apps use the GPU and video card memory heavily. The video card you have listed is a fine older card but it is old.

Lisa

OP
M
Reaction score
You do not say what app you plan to use for video editing. From the specs you list it should do fine with iMovie. It should handle Final Cut Pro BUT the biggest holdback will be the video card. Premiere CC will also have issues with the video card. Both apps use the GPU and video card memory heavily. The video card you have listed is a fine older card but it is old.

Lisa

Thanks for the response.. I am using premiere pro... I am thinking of trying a video card but am stumped what to use. Any recomendations ? Don't mind investing in this as it will obviously be cheaper than buying a new machine..

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I use Premiere Pro CC for video editing on a 2010 MP. Upgrading the video card would help. It is hard for me to say more as you have obviously done some modifications as the original MP 1,1 would not run Yosemite. I would suspect there will still be some physical limits from the older logic board.

Check out the recommendations found in this forum post: http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...ards-are-compatible-with-mac-pro-original-1-1

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.