MacBook Pro 15 Retina (late 2013) big problem with SSD's.

Reaction score
Hello.
So I bought this used MacBook Pro Retina 15inch, late 2013. It had an issue with the speakers and the headphones (remained stuck on headphone mode). So I took it to a repair service. They found liquid spilled on the inside. They cleaned the motherboard, and the sound malfunction was fixed. I picked it up, took it home, powered it up, and put it on charge and let it to sleep. Half an hour later I went to check on it and it didn't wake. There was a black screen and the cursor was unresponsive. I shut it down, power it up again and I get a black screen with an hdd with a question mark, blinking. Tried to reinstall Sierra from USB but in disk utility the disk wasn't there. Tried PRAM reset, smc reset, everything. Nothing changed. Took it back to the service and they insist it's something wrong on the logic board. After 5 days they still cannot spot what's wrong, everything in the board looks ok (apart from a dead thunderbolt input which can be replaced). They tried a different SSD and the mac still wouldn't see it. They asked for 2-3 days to give it a comprehensive check. I am in panic mode now. Any suggestions please?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I took it to a repair service. They found liquid spilled on the inside.

Any suggestions please?

Sorry...but liquid spilled portable computers can be a "Pandora's Box" of problems. We have an 8 year-old...26 page ongoing thread regarding liquid spill problems on portable computers:

http://www.mac-forums.com/apple-notebooks/271875-official-spilled-liquid-macbook-thread.html

I can tell you this...Apple would have almost certainly replaced the logic board (of course a $500+ expense)...and maybe other items.

Sorry to hear about this. Liquid spilled portable computers in probably 95+% of the cases are neither an easy or cheap fix!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
How long since you purchased this lemon?

If it is not too long ago I would be lodging a complaint with the seller or whoever you purchased it through. As Nick said the logic board as liquid + electronics = death all too often.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both Nick and Harry are spot on. Sorry for your dilemma, but it looks like you were "taken for a ride" by purchasing that machine. If possible, as Harry advises try to get your money back from the seller and return the MacBook Pro. If you purchased it off eBay and used PayPal, lodge a complaint with them. If you purchased the machine without any guarantee, then it appears you're out a lot of money.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Excellent advice from Harry and chscag. Try to return the computer to the seller...or lodge a complaint with the folks you used for payment (ebay, paypal, etc.).

This assumes you did not know about the liquid damage ahead of time. Some folks do know this (and honest sellers mention this)...and some buyer's that know this...sometimes think they can "resurrect" the computer cheaply...with thier "Strong Kung Fu"!;) lol

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.