Linux/Debian - iMac Late 2015 Video Card (R9 M395)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz)
I see that on my Debian install, the card is listed as
Code:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device 6920 (rev 01)

Any reason it doesn't pick up as an R9 M395?

Would this be able to run amdgpu-pro?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As many times as I have installed and ran various distros of Linux, I have never seen where the hardware was properly identified as it was in Windows. One of the many glitches when you run Linux. Ubuntu generally does better than some of the other distros, however, I have never installed Debian. I have no idea about your second question. You probably will get more info and better answers by visiting a Debian forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch iMac, 3.4 GHz i5, Radeon Pro 570, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 1 TB 7200-rpm
Out of interest, how well does Debian run on your iMac with the R9 M395? I've thought about dual-booting OS X and Debian for a while, but stable releases of Debian often don't support newer hardware all that well.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
runs very well (i run sid on it).

the reason why i ask this is hat i want to run amdgpu-pro so i can game on steam (deus ex mankind). i think the generic amdgpu driver is not really able to handle those graphics as it crashes soon after. i'll check on my laptop (with an nvidia driver) how it handles.

i managed to get the ubuntu drivers mentioned here installed by setting up a local repo. but i think they conflict with the xserver that is in sid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch iMac, 3.4 GHz i5, Radeon Pro 570, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 1 TB 7200-rpm
runs very well (i run sid on it).

I wouldn't recommend running sid on a production machine as that's the unstable branch. I'd be worried an unsuspecting update could brick the operating system without warning.

Have you only tried sid on your iMac? I'm interested to know what stable is like and if there are any hardware compatibility problems with the Late 2015 model (I'll be surprised if there isn't!)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't recommend running sid on a production machine as that's the unstable branch. I'd be worried an unsuspecting update could brick the operating system without warning.

Have you only tried sid on your iMac? I'm interested to know what stable is like and if there are any hardware compatibility problems with the Late 2015 model (I'll be surprised if there isn't!)

i've been running sid for many years on non-apple computers so i'm quite comfortable there. to run sid, i had to initially install stable and there were no issues with it (well the magic mouse is a bit of an issue). i'll look into tat some time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.