Purchasing new imac 27 5K - new mac user

Reaction score
Hello,

recently I started to think about purchase of my new and first Imac, unfortunately, as I discovered, it is at the time of "possible" update.
Here my dilemma comes.
I can sell my old rig for relative good price, but I need to do it now, or wait for another offer, which may not come.
I need my new computer latest 22 april as wedding season starting for me. (photographer)
I think about the 5K i7 4ghz, 512SSD, 16Gbram, 395GPU.
I heard that the new macs may have VR optimization, new TB3 connectors etc...which I do not really need or I am interested. Only interesting would be for me maybe an improved monitor (100% adobe RGB).
Therefore I am not sure, if I should wait for new imac release, which may come or not...price will be much higher I believe, as it was with MBP 2016
So the questions is, if the 1,5 year 5k retina is still good option and will last for maybe another 6 years...

thx
br
Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch iMac, 3.4 GHz i5, Radeon Pro 570, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 1 TB 7200-rpm
Welcome to the forum :)

No one can say for certain what features the next iMac will have, but the display on the current iMac is the best I have ever come across. From personal experience, you will find it difficult to come across something better. I don't know what the Adobe RGB coverage is on the current iMac, but it's difficult to find consumer displays that have 100% Adobe RGB coverage. I suspect this is due to the cost of producing a display that can cover the full Adobe RGB colour space.

I can't say for certain whether the current iMac will meet your needs as a photographer, but if your primary concern is Adobe RGB coverage, it might be worth comparing Adobe RGB and sRGB coverage on your current monitor and comparing that with the current iMac to see if that will meet your needs. This might help guide you in deciding whether to sell your current computer and buy an iMac, or wait.

Ultimately, no one knows but Apple what features the new iMac will have, when it is due to be announced and whether its price will remain the same or go up. If you do choose to buy an iMac now, it is reasonable to expect it to last for many years into the future. You'll find many people on this forum still using Macs bought 5 to 10 years ago.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I need my new computer latest 22 april as wedding season starting for me. (photographer)

If you need a new computer soon...then you got to get something soon. Can't let rumors of a new iMac model release "jack things up". If you could wait...then I would say wait. But it appears waiting really isn't possible. Wait as long as you can...then pull the trigger.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You already received good info from member "bbnck" and our Admin Nick. Here's what we do know about the new iMacs (from various Mac rumor sites):

1. They will be equipped with USB C type ports.

2. Thunderbolt 3

3. USB 3.1

4. No SD slot, no ethernet connection

5. Latest graphics, faster memory

6. Price - ???

7. Release date - ???

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
:( I sincerely hope not. I use both.

If no SD slot or ethernet connection is true with the next iMac...there very likely could be a "dongle" for that. There certainly already is a dongle for an external USB SD card reader. So you won't be left "high & dry" in that area.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
:( I sincerely hope not. I use both.

It's almost a given that both the SD slot and ethernet will be removed from new iMacs. Checkout the 2016 MacBook Pro machines: TouchBar and no TouchBar, SD slot and ethernet are missing. That's a good sign of things to come with new iMacs and the Mac Mini (if there is to be a new Mac Mini). ;)

However, like Nick pointed out, there's an adapter already available for the SD slot and I believe there is also one for TB to ethernet.

OP
G
Reaction score
Some good opinions here.

1. They will be equipped with USB C type ports. - not important for me

2. Thunderbolt 3 - not important for me

3. USB 3.1 - not important for me

4. No SD slot, no ethernet connection - Ethernet I will miss. WIFI is slower I believe and I do upload frequently 100GB+ to clouds

5. Latest graphics, faster memory - I am not serious gamer

6. Price - ??? - I care :)

7. Release date - ??? I live in small EU country, so even if it will be released recently, I think it can take months to be available in shops here.

Counting all this items, I think that I can be still very hapay with te 5K 2015 model.

Edit - OK, no new Macs release - feeling sad .. :(

thanks
br
Peter

Last edited:
Reaction score
If it helps, I got an iMac 27" 5K recently and I am loving it. It's fully loaded, and I got it for a fair discount on eBay. I am unlikely to have any kind of Buyer's Remorse when the new ones come. The display is gorgeous, it's fast, and it's got all the stuff I'm likely to need for the foreseeable future.

If the new iMac comes with USB-C, there are USB-C Ethernet dongles. That's not a problem, tho it's just another cost on top of the $∞ the iMac is likely to cost.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.