OS X not shown on Apple Store list

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
Why doesn't Sierra show at Apple Store list/ purchased? I see Maverick, Yosemite , El Capitan. If I download Sierra, the icon goes to Launchpad instead of Finder/ Applications??. If u ask why, I want to make Bootable Disk using USB

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm running the most recent public beta of Sierra and it shows in the purchased software tab. Make sure that you are logged into your account. Also, remember that once you finish the installation the installer is erased/removed.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, remember that once you finish the installation the installer is erased/removed.

Erased and removed , you mean it will not let me make Bootable Disk?

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Erased and removed , you mean it will not let me make Bootable Disk?
Here's the trick to making that process work. Download the installer and let it start to run. At some point you will be asked what drive you want to use for the installation. Stop the install at that point. The installer file will still be in the Application folder and can be used to make a bootable installer.

The process has been essentially the same for the last several OS versions.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Ron

Passing over the difficulty of getting Sierra for the moment -

The process is:

First download the latest version of Diskmaker X from here http://diskmakerx.com. There is a Sierra-compatible version.

Make sure you have a good-quality USB Stick of at least 8GB.

Download Sierra from the App Store. When it finishes the download, it will be located in the Applications Folder. Do not initiate the installation process.

Instead, fire up Diskmaker X. Follow the instructions. It will look for, and find, the Sierra download. It will format the USB Stick and create a Bootable USB Installer. This takes time. Be patient.

When it is finished, you have various choices. You can go into Applications, click on the Sierra download and initiate the installation. When that is finished, the Sierra download folder will self-destruct. But you still have the Diskmaker Bootable Installer USB Stick (a) as a backup in case you ever need to re-install Sierra or (b) use it to install Sierra on another Mac.

Or, you could copy the Sierra download folder to an EHD as a copy - just in case. Then use the original to install Sierra.

Or you could stop the whole process there. And keep the Sierra download Folder AND the Diskmaker Bootable USB Stick for another time.

To use the Bootable Installer USB at any time in the future, reboot the Mac whilst holding down the Option key. Then choose that Stick to install Sierra.

That's a brief account. Masses on the Internet about how to do all that.

Now - why doesn't Sierra show up in the App Store under purchases? Obviously, you have to have downloaded it at sometime in the past with the same Apple ID. If you haven't, then Sierra should appear as an upgrade if your Mac is compatible.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Why doesn't Sierra show at Apple Store list/ purchased? I see Maverick, Yosemite , El Capitan. If I download Sierra, the icon goes to Launchpad instead of Finder/ Applications??. If u ask why, I want to make Bootable Disk using USB

Ron - I was an earlier adopter of Sierra which is on my iMac, MBPro, & MBAir, but the OS does not show up in my 'Purchased' list either on any of the computers. If you google why does sierra not show up in app store when installed, there are plenty of hits from late last year w/ many complaining about the same issue but w/ no real explanation except that the 'non-listing' may be an Apple thing? Now I have a copy of the Sierra OS Installer on an external SSD and also a bootable USB drive (using Diskmaker) that works. Just stopped thinking about the absence of the app on my list until you created this thread - :) Dave

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ITW, Bingo, Diskmaker 6 was the problem when I had 5... Now I m done making bootable disk, How can I tell if its really bootable disk instead of installion disk??
This is what is shown when I click. usb, IS that right or should be another name for it
Bootable Disk.png

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
That's it. Well done. That's what it's called.

Now if you want to check it further, you could reboot holding down the Option key and if that same figure shows up as a bootable option, you have your proof that it's good to go.

A glass of wine is called for, Ron - if that's your taste - or a cup of tea, whatever.

Ian

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's it. Well done. That's what it's called.

Now if you want to check it further, you could reboot holding down the Option key and if that same figure shows up as a bootable option, you have your proof that it's good to go.

A glass of wine is called for, Ron - if that's your taste - or a cup of tea, whatever.

Ian

Haha Thought the name should be OS X Install ESD 1, instead of Install macOS Sierra... What is ESD 1??

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is ESD 1??

No idea. Really, haven't a clue Where did you come across this name? Install macOS Sierra is sort of what you might expect as that's what it does:Cool:

Ian

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, to ALL Thanks for the help, Now with one more question, when using USB, hold down Shift when rebooting. Is that clean install ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I believe this is the title given to a Combo Updater of OS X.12.3, Many folk see the update via Google etc. and try to install it thinking it is the operating system itself.

No Ron. Pop the DiskmakerX USB thumb drive in, reboot and hold down the Option key and all available drives will come up, including the thumb drive. You can then proceed to upgrade or do a clean install via Utilities.

The Launchpad merely shows the progress, like a progress bar as it were. When complete it will be in Applications under Install, not Sierra.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha Thought the name should be OS X Install ESD 1, instead of Install macOS Sierra... What is ESD 1??
I hadn't given this a thought until you asked. According to Professor Google and this thread on the Apple Discussion board it stands for Electronic Service Delivery.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe this is the title given to a Combo Updater of OS X.12.3, Many folk see the update via Google etc. and try to install it thinking it is the operating system itself.

No Ron. Pop the DiskmakerX USB thumb drive in, reboot and hold down the Option key and all available drives will come up, including the thumb drive. You can then proceed to upgrade or do a clean install via Utilities.

Slydude, Thanks for the answer..

harryb2448... I check USB Thumbdrive and its ok,
I m trying to understand my CCC using LaCie as a back up if I need to restore, Now about the Discovery Disk, Is that also into LaCie if I ever need to if my screen turns black or do I have to create one in different partition as a Discovery Disk?? Bit confuse there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Never ever heard of Discovery.. maybe you mean Recovery?

Recovery is installed when the operating system is installed. You access it by booting and immediately holding Command + R. Also if you install Sierra on a bootable USB thumb drive as mentioned earlier, you can access it by booting from it.

Regarding CCC, i use SuperDuper but same ends, make sure the LaCie is boot enabled by formatting Mac OS Extended (Jornaled) and GUID Partition Map is selected under Partition > Options. It is normal for all drive to coe out of the box formatted NTFS for Windows use. Don't worry about what may happen in just on thirty years using Macs I have never experienced a black screen, nor the old so called 'Chime of Death' on a Mac (touched wood quickly(.

OP
Dittoman1
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone for their help, I finally got to understand how it works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
@Dittoman1 . . . IMO it is neither necessary nor desirable to use any software that came with the LaCie. Super Duper and CCC do just fine on their own.

Brent

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.