got my new imac today. all files transferred from the older imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I used peer to peer and wireless. transfer worked fine. took up to 2 hours I guess. not bad.

got to get use to wireless mouse and keyboard now. the smaller keyboard is rough, I hope I can get use to that. Im use to the full size keyboard with the number keys. not liking the smaller one so far. otherwise I'm glad I got this. other mac works fine, but was close to 11 years old. may use that for a backup drive or for playing around. may put snow lep back on it. its still a usable mac after 10 years. I have El Capitan on the old one. little shocked to see apple still including hard drives that are 5400rpm....

2 questions on the new mac:

1. how do I get a fresh copy of the OS since they don't include DVDs of it? do I need a fresh copy or just backup the entire drive to an external drive? what about making a disk image?

2. is the ram user up-gradable in this one? I have no idea. I got this mac:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-2...1tb-hard-drive-silver/6293016.p?skuId=6293016

thanks for your help as always.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
1. Assuming it's a brand new Mac, it is likely running maOS Sierra. Either way, goto Mac App Store and when you are logged in, "purchase" Sierra and let it download the installer. Do not actually install it, but use DiskmakerX to make a bootable USB drive with it for future use. As far as your data goes, you might want to look into setting up Time Machine to start backing up your data so that you can always get it back. If you want spot backups, then you have CCC and SuperDuper which are great for creating full backups at various stages as opposed to the incremental backups through Time Machine

2. Your machine's full specs are here. The machine comes with 8GB by default and can be upgraded to 16GB during the time of purchase (from Apple). If you bought this from Best Buy locally, then you are stuck with what you have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
1. I like to keep a USB copy of the OS just in case. You will have to download Sierra (or any version you have previously download should show up in purchases.) Then create the install media on an 8GB minimum USB drive. This link will walk you through how. http://lifehacker.com/how-to-make-a-bootable-macos-sierra-usb-flash-drive-1786853248
I have used both methods described in the article and either works well. Just be sure to test any media you create. Insert the USB and restart your iMac and holding down the "C" key. If the USB drive is offered as a drive you can select, it is working.

2. Short answer - No. The memory is soldered to the logicboard and apple made no provisions for user upgrades on your model of iMac.

Enjoy your new iMac!

Lisa

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its new in the box, but the about window says late 2015? little confused on this one. its a retina 4k which is fine still faster than the old mac I had for years.

aboutmac.png

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
few more questions.

do I have to turn the mouse and keyboard off each time after using them? how long will the battery last on a charge? can I charge them while using them? thanks, sorry wireless is new to me. lol.

thanks again for the help. you all are awesome here. :)

Last edited:
OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trying diskmaker and an 8gb thumb drive. getting this error.

error.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is the model late 2015, same as mine even though purchased December 2016. If you wish you can check the warranty and date of manufacture with Apple.

I never turn my mouse and keyboard off, they simply go to sleep. You can use whilst re-charging kb and mouse, but not trackpad if you got one of those. The compact kb is great and in nearly thirty years of using Macs, you are about the fourth person I ever heard of using the numeric kb. If necessary you can always get an attachment like the trackpad with numbers on it. Let iMac sleep at night, and once a week just hook up the TB cable to re-charge.

One thing, suggest keeping a wired USB kb and mouse on hand. Always come in handy and sometimes software will want to load and install before Bluetooth kicks in. Latest version of DisKWarrior is one that comes to mind. Just back up to an external drive uing cloning software such as SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner. They have a big advantage over Time Machine, as the external drive will be bootable in case of any problems. Also another 2x4GB of memory from Crucial or OWC will not go astray.

To use DiskmakerX you need to go to the App Store and download a fresh copy of Sierra. You cannot copy it once it is installed. You will need to create an Apple ID if you do not have one to access the App Store.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you find that you cannot get used to the smaller wireless keyboard and need a numeric keypad you can use a separator keypad. Wireless ones are available I think. You could also use a wired USB keyboard if you prefer that though you loose some of the convenience.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im going to stick with it and try to get use to it. trying to make the bootable USB using diskmaker, not having much luck with that yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The compact kb is great and in nearly thirty years of using Macs, you are about the fourth person I ever heard of using the numeric kb.

Hey Harry! Can I be number 5?? I have a wireless keyboard and the old wired keyboard with a keypad. The wireless is in it's box and I use the wired on my MP. I like the position of the arrow keys and a separate numeric keypad. Now if Apple made a wireless one like the wired one then I would use it.

Lisa

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ive used macs since 1990. always had a full size keyboard. this will be tough, I'll try it. see how it goes. never used wireless until now. Im getting OLD, hate change. I avoid it as long as possible. lol

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Harry! Can I be number 5?? I have a wireless keyboard and the old wired keyboard with a keypad. The wireless is in it's box and I use the wired on my MP. I like the position of the arrow keys and a separate numeric keypad. Now if Apple made a wireless one like the wired one then I would use it.

Lisa

How about a full sized Apple aluminum wireless keyboard from Matias? Check out their products here. They even have backlighted Apple type keyboards. Not inexpensive though. The full sized wireless is $99.00.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats the wireless kb they should have included with this mac for the money I paid. lol

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Charlie, Who do I talk to about upping my moderator pay? I'd like to buy the wireless bluetooth keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it had that I wouldn't have bought mine lol!

No Lisa never ever for someone who gives their Mac Pros girly names. No. No. No.

Call 'em Spike, Nugget, Rocky or Big Boy and I promise I shall reconsider.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Charlie, Who do I talk to about upping my moderator pay? I'd like to buy the wireless bluetooth keyboard.

No problem Sly, Nick says the check is in the mail. :p That is a nice keyboard isn't it? I especially like the model that's backlighted, wireless, and full size. A little too rich for me at $139.00.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's as well built as some of their other gear it should hold up really well. I like the fact that it apparently can pair with multiple devices. I have a Logitech that is similar but does not have backlighting.

At that price it's not cheap but might be worth it for someone who needs a keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about a full sized Apple aluminum wireless keyboard from Matias? Check out their products here. They even have backlighted Apple type keyboards. Not inexpensive though. The full sized wireless is $99.00.

Bought it! Thank you! I have been looking for one for a while now. Considered the Logitech but did not want to add a receiver for it to my mac. This looks perfect as it is bluetooth and matches my MP. The silver is on backorder until the end of March but I can wait. :Cool:

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me know when you receive it and how you like it. I've considered buying one myself, but I do currently have two wired full sized Apple keyboards. What I like about the full sized Apple wired keyboards is the two low power USB 2 ports that are included. The ports are only good for a wired mouse and printer but it does add some convenience.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.