Newbie - just bought an iBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24/2GB/750GB+iBook 12"/1GB/60GB+30GB iPod Video+PC AMD64 4000+/2GB/300SATA+Nikon D2X etc
Hi

After years of IBM PC use, I've just ordered an iBook 12" with 1GB Ram /60GB HD. I liked the size and weight of the 12 over the 14 in terms of portability, and the cost saving over a Powerbook. As it's my first Mac, I didn't want to over commit financially.

Can anyone tell me how much slower (faster? ;) ) the iBook's likely to be than say, my AMD64 3400+/512MB laptop, or even my AMD64 4000+/2GB desktop?

I'll be using mainly Photoshop CS2 and Nikon Capture 4.4, for image downloading and manipulation - either RAW or Jpeg file formats.

Cheers

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Congrats on your iBook, have fun with it.

Looks as if you will have to do the speed comparisons yourself :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
congrats

i think it will be faster than the laptop but not sure about the desktop.

but u will love it!

OP
Toonman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24/2GB/750GB+iBook 12"/1GB/60GB+30GB iPod Video+PC AMD64 4000+/2GB/300SATA+Nikon D2X etc
Looks as if you will have to do the speed comparisons yourself

I'll live I guess! I just wondered...

Thanks for the posts anyway, guys!

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's really hard to compare between X86 Windows machines and PPC OSX systems. I have that same iBook you bought. It's fast for what it is. I would say like a lower end Centrino PM notebook or faster. Glad you opted for 1GB RAM as that will help a lot when you open a bunch of Applications at the same time. It's a good machine. I love mine.

Welcome to Mac Forums and the world of Macs.

OP
Toonman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
like a lower end Centrino PM notebook or faster

Okay, thanks. Whilst I had a play in PC World, it obviously didn't have Photoshop on it, so it was hard to gauge speed. At least I have an idea now.

I come from the land of the totally satisfied PC user, so have no axe to grind there, but feel it's time I was Mac familiar. I'm looking forward to the experience. Certainly, I love the look and feel of the Mac and its dinky size. I reckon it'll just about fit in my camera bag along with my gear. Just have to wait for it to arrive now... Want it now! :(

Cheers :alien:

I

ighly

Photoshop CS runs very well on ibook g4 1gb ram even with large images, you shouldn´t have problems running it

Enjoy mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
iBooks aren't speed machines. However, they do 'just work'. If you're like me, you'll find more things to be critical of on a PC after using a Mac, even a low end one like the iBook.

OP
Toonman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even though I'm very happy with IBM PCs, I'm still looking forward to the arrival of the Mac. Worryingly, whilst checking the status of my order with the Apple Shop online, it says it'll be shipped on 04 May (fair enough), but delivery will be 15 May! Bl**dy H*ll! I'm not sure where it's coming from, but these days it takes large packages 2 days to arrive in the UK from Germany, 4 days from The States and 5 days from Hong Kong. I'm going to ring and see if I can speed it up a bit.

Cheers

PS Thanks again everyone for the advice

E

edge

Like was siad, it'll be hard to compare speeds. Photoshop will probably load faster on the PC, as it's most likely that you'll have a 4500 RPM hard disk in the iBook, as opposed to a 5400 or 7200 RPM drive in the tower. Program preformance will vary depending on what you do, but it may actually run faster on the iBook in terms of actual usage.

Either way, it's going to be a fast machine, and you'll love it I'm sure :) I have a G4 800 iBook with 640MB of memory, and I urn Fireworks on it with no complaints at all. It's plenty fast enough.

Or...we could go this route:

Macs own! They OWN!!! They're lightning fast and great for all of your computering needs. It's like BOOM HEADSHOT BOOM HEADSHOT BOOM HEADSHOT!!

(i'll admit...I do still use a PC to play Counter-Strike) :p

OP
Toonman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macs own! They OWN!!! They're lightning fast and great for all of your computering needs. It's like BOOM HEADSHOT BOOM HEADSHOT BOOM HEADSHOT!!

lol :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.