• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What are your hobbies?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
cheers! and yes, i love my band. 4 blokes in their 40's who really shud know better, having a giggle making a racket...

And also enjoying a few pints of some good English beer can't help but improve things I'm sure.

Cheers!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMAC 27" 2.66GHz i5 1TB HDD 12GRAM
Am 61 yo now.
Hobbies ...
* surviving raising 5 kids
* astronomy/star gazing/telescopes
* kayaking
* hiking
* getting into biking now

Am looking forward to not working full time, and actually having some free time to devote to enjoyable pursuits!

Reaction score
Roch, Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Retina 5K 27inches 2017 Sierra 10.12.6 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4. Radeon 5
Re: what are your hobbies?

Hello friends,

my hobbies are Christianity, photography, music, reading, and witnessing my son, running his Spar convenience store; oh yes, and 2 grandchildren, with a third grandchild on the way!

Frank.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mojave 10.14.3, Late 2015, 21.5" display, 2.8ghz, 16GB
Road motorcycles until I sold my last one this summer. Bow hunt, golf a little and now play with the grandkids.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Ooh boy, I've got several guitars, basses, and drum kits (no keyboards anymore though, unfortunately). I like to be a one man band, it's a lot easier to collaborate with yourself.

I've got a bunch of camera gear that I don't use as much as I'd like. Used to make decent side money from photography, but the job wears on ya.

I've put a lot of time and energy (and money) into building a pretty nice home network, although pulling cable through plaster and lath walls is a great way to find out how many curse words you have in your vocabulary. So it goes.

I also repair VCRs when I have no other projects on the table and I need something to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also repair VCRs … …

Wow!!! Those sound like some pretty intensive hobbies, and it's nice to know that repair parts still seem to be available for, I presume, most common VCRs and people are still getting them repaired — if possible.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow!!! Those sound like some pretty intensive hobbies, and it's nice to know that repair parts still seem to be available for, I presume, most common VCRs and people are still getting them repaired — if possible.

- Patrick
======

VCRs, especially the older ones, are mostly complex machines made up of simple parts. The newer ones are simple machines made up of complex parts. So most of my wheelhouse is in the older (pre-90s) models. I picked most of it up from lots of practice, pouring over service manuals, and quick zaps to the forearms.

I just wanted to learn as many things as I could, so I picked up hobbies, found the easiest/cheapest entry point, and saw if it was the right fit for me. Some things stuck, like music, other things didn't, like screen printing. I went to school for photography, got a little burnt out on it after doing it for a couple years professionally, so I "retired" from that. Now I work in IT, which has managed to stay both a hobby I love deeply, and a career.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Ooh boy, I've got several guitars, basses, and drum kits (no keyboards anymore though, unfortunately). I like to be a one man band, it's a lot easier to collaborate with yourself.

I've got a bunch of camera gear that I don't use as much as I'd like. Used to make decent side money from photography, but the job wears on ya.

I've put a lot of time and energy (and money) into building a pretty nice home network, although pulling cable through plaster and lath walls is a great way to find out how many curse words you have in your vocabulary. So it goes.

I also repair VCRs when I have no other projects on the table and I need something to do.

that can be a fun hobby, do you record? Though it's not a hobby for me really (what I actually do for money) I built a recording studio in my basement which was quite the project, and have about 4 drum kits (soon to be maybe 5?) down there. Also have guitars and midi keyboards (no stand alone ones)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love to read and write on any topics.

LOL!!! :D

You might want to pass on writing anything to do with the iPhone X then, at least for a while and skip any sort of technical advice associated with them, considering your recent post: :Smirk:

11-14-2017, 05:41 AM
Actually I didn't know about iPhone X yet. But glad to know this one here. lol
http://www.mac-forums.com/iphone-ha.../343018-iphones-3.html?highlight=#post1777249

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that can be a fun hobby, do you record? Though it's not a hobby for me really (what I actually do for money) I built a recording studio in my basement which was quite the project, and have about 4 drum kits (soon to be maybe 5?) down there. Also have guitars and midi keyboards (no stand alone ones)

I do record! It's quite a bit of fun. I was in several bands throughout college and fairly recently "retired" from the live music scene.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Groovetube
I built a recording studio in my basement which was quite the project, and have about 4 drum kits (soon to be maybe 5?) down there. Also have guitars and midi keyboards (no stand alone ones)

Do you play all of them or have a preference???, and BTW: what's a "no stand alone" if I may appear so dumb???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do record! It's quite a bit of fun. I was in several bands throughout college and fairly recently "retired" from the live music scene.

Recording is somewhat new to me though I spent near 35 years in many studios, I just was just never really allowed near the knobs :) Things have changed a lot and decided to go for broke and set up a full setup to play on records, I've gotten to that point now, I get sent the tracks, I do the drums, and we all dropbox it. Seems thats how records are getting made now :) run a universal audio apollo8, with an API 3124 rack, a behringer 8200 through the Apollo to add mic pres for the drums. Took me a long time to learn but its running!I added a quick pic of a typical setup for tracking drums, I have the MBP by the drums, and swing the mic pres closer so I can tweak while I play, but to the right of the rack, is a listening desk with a mirrored monitor, and a pair of Genelec monitors and a sub. It's a bare bones setup, but firepower where I need it. I haven't retired yet, still out playing a lot.
IMG_3488.JPG
@Groovetube

Do you play all of them or have a preference???, and BTW: what's a "no stand alone" if I may appear so dumb???
I do play them all, they're all different, and I use them for different purposes, different setups, sounds etc. the stand alone I meant a keyboard that has all it's own sounds etc internally rather just being a keyboard controller that needs to be connected to a computer or a soundbox source to make noises. I just have a couple midi keyboards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the stand alone I meant a keyboard that has all it's own sounds etc internally rather just being a keyboard controller that needs to be connected to a computer or a soundbox source to make noises. I just have a couple midi keyboards.

Not to get too OT, but what ever happened to the various Roland sounds Apple used to include with their older PPC Systems?

I seem to recall making all kings of "music" and having fun with just some software keyboard or something. Fun times. ;D

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot about all that, wasn't there some sort of midi keyboard, or I think you could just use your keyboard to play it. I don't think it's in OS X anymore.

I still have my G4 digital audio tower, it has a 1.2GHz cpu upgrade and 1.5gigs of ram in it, I think it has tiger on it with pro tools but I do have OS 9 on it still, I should boot that thing up and see. I miss the fun of OS 9.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot about all that, wasn't there some sort of midi keyboard, or I think you could just use your keyboard to play it. I don't think it's in OS X anymore.

Both worked, and no, no fun stuff included any more. :\

You could even create your own keyboards using HyperCard.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well there is GarageBand, which has a ton of fun stuff even more fun. I always tell my non musician type friends or hobbyists open it up and lose yourself in the fun. Who cares if you write a hit or not ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Who cares if you write a hit or not

Is this similar to 1,000s of monkeys typing away on typewriters that may eventually produce something worthwhile??? :Blushing:

Just joking…

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.