• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What are your hobbies?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
Together with a friend, I do weekly hikes in the desert surrounding Las Vegas...we do some target shooting & drone flying.
Desert.jpg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Nice catch Pat and the Ugly Stick range are great rods.
Fishing is all about getting your head around the secret code for that day, and tomorrow it will be a different code.
It can be mentally exhausting :)
Tight lines.

Cheers ... McBie
Didn't take me too many casts to figurer out exactly what that meant. This is why I haven't been fishing in years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Finishing and Soccer

Hello Imoeddy - just for clarification, do you mean 'finishing' as in woodworking or 'fishing'? Thanks - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 2015 11
Running a small community website and playing video games. Oh and of course, using my Mac ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I've been busy at my hobby again and I saw the light again. Well, for the forth time really. I love turning lamps. Angle poise to be precise and this is the biggest one yet.

Beech stem and arm peices, oak base and leylandii shade. I was given a not very nice looking lump of oak on a visit to a wood supplier in Carcassonne a couple of years back when I bought a couple of beech planks, 2" x 8" x 10' for some other job. I have some of the beech left over, so I decided to make this lamp.

The base is about 12" diameter and took 1/2 of the oak. This is a before/after photo

It turned out better than I had expected. I wanted to hide the cable in this one, apart from the elbows of course. I had to do the upright in 3 sections as my lathe bad is about 3" long, so I cheated with the join by putting a contrasting ring between the bits. It would be very difficult to get the 2 to align perfectly and it looks awful if they don't.

The shaft top knucle was fun too, but it was a good finish

The shade is that stuff that every gardener this side of the pond adores, especially if it's the neighbours ajoining hedge, leylandii! It is lovely to turn though and takes a lovely finish too.

And the completed lamp is now in use each evening in our lounge. But the photo was taken outside before anyone comments

Next? I have a 12" long by about 8" diameter leylandii log on the lathe and I hope to make about 6 small dishes from it. It's good fun as it's all shapes and lumps, but I know there's are lovely dishes hiding in there. All I have to do is dig them out ;D;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been busy at my hobby again and I saw the light again. Well, for the forth time really. I love turning lamps. Angle poise to be precise and this is the biggest one yet.

Beech stem and arm peices, oak base and leylandii shade. I was given a not very nice looking lump of oak on a visit to a wood supplier in Carcassonne a couple of years back when I bought a couple of beech planks, 2" x 8" x 10' for some other job. I have some of the beech left over, so I decided to make this lamp.

The base is about 12" diameter and took 1/2 of the oak. This is a before/after photo

It turned out better than I had expected. I wanted to hide the cable in this one, apart from the elbows of course. I had to do the upright in 3 sections as my lathe bad is about 3" long, so I cheated with the join by putting a contrasting ring between the bits. It would be very difficult to get the 2 to align perfectly and it looks awful if they don't.

The shade is that stuff that every gardener this side of the pond adores, especially if it's the neighbours ajoining hedge, leylandii! It is lovely to turn though and takes a lovely finish too.

And the completed lamp is now in use each evening in our lounge. But the photo was taken outside before anyone comments

Next? I have a 12" long by about 8" diameter leylandii log on the lathe and I hope to make about 6 small dishes from it. It's good fun as it's all shapes and lumps, but I know there's are lovely dishes hiding in there. All I have to do is dig them out ;D;D

Hello John - imaginative ideas and beautiful completion and finish - congrats! Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, on the first page of this thread, I listed a number of activities, including traveling which we start in the early spring (typically Florida or the Carolina/Georgia coast), then continuing monthly and ending w/ mountain trips in the summer - although in early July we will be returning to Canada (this time a lake north of Toronto and then the city).

In early April, a trip to South Beach in Miami - stayed at the Ritz; ate well (all seafood), including a wonderful Sunday brunch at the hotel which included great oysters and sushi among many other choices; had not been to Miami in a dozen or more years, so did a city tour that included visiting a number of unique neighborhoods (such as Little Havana & Wynwood, famous for outdoor wall murals on the various buildings), a boat ride, and a return to Vizcaya Museum & Gardens - just a few pics below (for those interested, I write 'travelogues' of our trips on the iPad Forums - go HERE to their 'Travel Forum').

Earlier this month, a return trip to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - we always stay in the northern part of the long town - as usual ate well - all seafood for me w/ daily oysters - a repeat experience for us is to visit Brookgreen Gardens (last 4 pics in next post - many, many more in a travelogue if you want to plan a trip) and then have an early dinner in Murrells Inlet.

Next week, a 'bucket list' trip for me - likely our last visit to the North Carolina Outer Banks - this will take us a week - starting in the north (Roanoke Island, Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, Duck etc.) - then heading south to Buxon, mainly to see the 'moved' Hatteras Lighthouse; onto Ocracoke Island for a few nights; then the Cedar Island ferry back to the mainland w/ a final night in New Bern - just hope that the weather is nice. Dave :)
P.S. cannot seem to upload 8 images to a single post - the Brookgreen Garden pics are in the next post w/o comment.

Miami_1.jpg

Miami_2-1.png

Miami_3.jpg

Miami_4.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brookgreen Gardens pics from my previous post - assume a limitation on the number of pics and/or their size allowed per post? Again, many more images in my travelogue given previously, if interested. Dave :)

BGG_2nd_A1.png

BGG_2nd_B9_Muses3.jpg

BGG_2nd_C3_Palmetto3.jpg

BGG_2nd_C6_LiveOakAlley4.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
She Who Has Everything? What do I make for her? Well I thought that I would start with this and it is the first time I have made one. Not very pretty at this stage is it

It's in 2 bits comme ça

I also had some of this

So I heated it up a bit on the camping cooker, put the bits back together and very carefully poured the red stull into the hole on the top, with a bit-a-string down the middle of course and finished up with

Which goes in here

There was a blue jobbie in there originally and neither SWMBO or I really liked it and try as I might I couldn't find a replacement, not even in blue! I think it looks much better. I have posted the candle holder before with the blue jobbie in it.

The wooden bit is turned using what is called insid out turning. Sounds more difficult than what it is really. It's called inside out because the inside is turned first, then the outside. You are with me on this???

Reaction score
I ride motorcycles...

I also ride motorcycles. In fact, I was a motorcycle training instructor for the state for 15 years. I have an old Honda CB400F and a Suzuki SV1000.

I also live in Sacramento. Maybe we can go for a ride together sometime.

I got a really neat thing called a "cooling vest" for riding during the hot Sacramento summers. You soak it in water before using it. It turns the water into a gel in the vest and you wear it under your riding jacket. The water trapped in it slowly evaporates and keeps you cool. It's almost like air conditioning!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
You moto riders this may be of interest??

That was interesting! Thanks!

The bike must of had cruise control. Most motorcycles have a spring-loaded throttle that will shut itself off if not physically held open.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 in Sierra 10.12.3
I also ride motorcycles. In fact, I was a motorcycle training instructor for the state for 15 years. I have an old Honda CB400F and a Suzuki SV1000.

I also live in Sacramento. Maybe we can go for a ride together sometime.

I got a really neat thing called a "cooling vest" for riding during the hot Sacramento summers. You soak it in water before using it. It turns the water into a gel in the vest and you wear it under your riding jacket. The water trapped in it slowly evaporates and keeps you cool. It's almost like air conditioning!

When the weather is more conducive to pleasure riding lets get together for lunch in the Delta. It's 108 degrees right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The water trapped in it slowly evaporates and keeps you cool. It's almost like air conditioning!

Maybe someone should reinvent a jacket made like the old canvas water bags to cool the wearer??? ;-)

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The bike must of had cruise control. Most motorcycles have a spring-loaded throttle that will shut itself off if not physically held open.

Two of the English made motorcycles I had (1940's rigid frame Norton 500 single, late 1950's 650 BSA twin) had a small thumbscrew to adjust the tension, or lock it in a set position.

But that's almost unbelievable as to how long that bike kept going and on the same side of the road.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
work - mac pro (late 2013), 32gb RAM 3.2 Ghz 6core; home - mac book pro
being married with young kids means hobbies are harder work to find time for, but i always refused to give up my band which is my thing. playing guitar badly and screaming in a hardcore punk band.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
playing guitar badly and screaming in a hardcore punk band.

Lol!!! That sounds like the average group to me these days, but glad you enjoy it.

And welcome to the Mac group.

PS: Interesting looking place you live and certainly lots of brick and stone buildings according to the photos on google maps.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
I love traveling. I've been coast to coast many times and seen many things. Now that I'm into my senior years I've cut my travel time down quite a bit. Now it's mostly relaxing, collecting and spending those earned retirement checks and watching the world go crazy. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
work - mac pro (late 2013), 32gb RAM 3.2 Ghz 6core; home - mac book pro
Lol!!! That sounds like the average group to me these days, but glad you enjoy it.

And welcome to the Mac group.

PS: Interesting looking place you live and certainly lots of brick and stone buildings according to the photos on google maps.

- Patrick
======

cheers! and yes, i love my band. 4 blokes in their 40's who really shud know better, having a giggle making a racket...

and we've been in earls barton for about 14 years now. started off in a victorian end terrace from about 1890, but had to move to a new (1970's) house when we ran out of room. tis a good place to live tho

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.