• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What are your hobbies?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 in Sierra 10.12.3
I ride motorcycles, Make cheese and and am starting to metal detect. I also love fishing. Maybe soon I will be able to share pictures, What are your hobbies? What do you do when your not on your computers?

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Pat - you've put your thread in the right forum - great! :)

I'm a retired academic radiologist about to turn 71 y/o (age & hobbies likely are related somewhat) - so, just a list randomly: 1) Computers (first one an Apple II+ in 1980 - I've always gone an extra-step to understand these technologies); 2) Wine - still drink a lot but my basement wine cellar has shrunk from 700+ bottles to about a 100; 3) Woodworking - have a fairly complete basement workshop (main exception is no lathe) - most recent projects a couple of picture frames for some professional Carolina-Georgia coastal landscapes (shown below); 4) Traveling - mainly local now in a car (use to do a LOT of more national & international trips) - Civil & Revolutionary war buff, so some trips related to those interests w/i the tolerance of my wife; and 5) Reading - now mostly on an iPad - could add a few more - Dave :)
Jekyll1.JPG CoffinPointPlantation.JPG

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those are gorgeous, My experience with wine are jug wine in the 70's on the lawn of Griffith park observatory.

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
Passionate about photography and what I can do with it, cooking, travelling. I take photos most days - often my cats and dog doing cute or silly things - whether with my phone or recently purchased Panasonic Lumix FZ330 (FZ300 in US). I make a photo calendar for family and friends every year and photo book gifts from memorable trips.

Some of last year's books - Ireland, New York, English canal trip (with three kids!)
http://www.photobox.co.uk/creation/4374968478
http://www.photobox.co.uk/creation/4396802742
http://www.photobox.co.uk/creation/4377935444

I also ghost a blog for my dog, a dumb English springer spaniel. https://dogwuff.wordpress.com

I worked in journalism then public relations for 30+ years so this all keeps my creativity alive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Passionate about photography and what I can do with it, cooking, travelling. I take photos most days - often my cats and dog doing cute or silly things - whether with my phone or recently purchased Panasonic Lumix FZ330 (FZ300 in US). I make a photo calendar for family and friends every year and photo book gifts from memorable trips.

Some of last year's books - Ireland, New York, English canal trip (with three kids!)

I also ghost a blog for my dog, a dumb English springer spaniel. https://dogwuff.wordpress.com

I worked in journalism then public relations for 30+ years so this all keeps my creativity alive.

Hi Sue - thanks for sharing - beautiful pics! Wife & I have been to Ireland and the images brought back memories - she sings and plays a number of instruments - fell in love w/ the Irish harp, so on our return (probably 2+ decades ago) we ordered a Caswell harp made in California (bigger one in pic below). Also, we've been to NYC numerous times (she grew up in upper New Jersey) but has been a while, probably just after 9/11?

Back in the non-digital film days, I would have also listed photography - had a number of camera bodies and all sorts of lenses - now just have a couple DCs (point & shoot), but will take one on trips and take pics which I post as travelogues in another forum. Dave :)
Harps copy.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those are gorgeous, My experience with wine are jug wine in the 70's on the lawn of Griffith park observatory.

Pat

Hi Pat - in my wine cellar 'hey days', I use to age vintage Ports, Sauternes, and other reds (bought Bordeaux futures back then w/ friends) - had wines from most of the major countries; BUT now I'm into value and probably average $15-$20/bottle, so still pretty good stuff - the wines I use to buy and store, such as CA cabernets have escalated in price so no longer a choice for me - plus, in North Carolina, food chains (Lowe's & Harris Teeter mainly) can sell wine, even on Sundays, so much of my current purchases come from those places + Costco which has the BEST prices but more limited selection of their better wines. I used to even give wine talks (old Kodak carousel back then) w/ a tasting to my radiology residents - they just had to chip in for the wines. Dave :)

Reaction score
I might can refer you to someone closer to where you live.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" 2012 MacBook Air iPhone 5s , iPod (80GB), Blue Apple iMac G3 (For sh!ts and giggles ;o)
I play Hockey as much as possible. My other hobby is iTunes!

Music gives me Eargasms....

Reaction score
I like to ride my bike in the woods on trails, avoiding trees, over rocks, and with friends. I have some audio equipment that when I am not riding makes pleasant sounds to my ears. Otherwise I am either at work, putting up with teenagers or hiking/dog parking with my 11 1/2 year old Siberian Husky.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Stunning photos Dave :)

My hobbies are seriously curtailed these days but I still enjoy photography and when fit enough being dragged around by my 3 year old border terrier, Dexter.

I used to be a fanatical cyclist - mainly road racing and time trialling.

Cradom - I recently acquired one of my old frames from the 1980's - a Peugeot Professional (531 Pro Tubes and forks) which I intend to renovate and build back up with period parts (if I can find them!).

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Really enjoyed Truffles hijinks my dog Kona would let us know if any of Mr. Wilsons cats would come in to the yard, Not do anything just bark and let us know.

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
My hobbies are photography and I am the unoficial photographer for our village walking group and the village Anciens combattants, the old soldiers of France. I'm the only English bloke that ever been invited to join and it is an honour for me! Wood working and turning are my biggest hobby and you can see what that's all about from my web site below. I love the challenge of something new, but I steer clear of joinery. That's a different discliplin altogether and one I don't shine at:Grimmace::Grimmace:

Wine? Well, as we live in the biggest vineyard in the world I have found that there is just tooooo much choice here. 50 years back the Languadoc was known for the quantity, but they have put a load of work in and now it's the quality that's important. We don't have a wine celler, it just doesn't last that long although we did buy a couple of cases of some lovely red about 5 years back and it has matured very nicely too! An Appelation Minervois Protege. I don't know wht the cepage is, but it's a lovely wine. Not cheap either, we paid over 7€ a bottle!:Mischievous:

My other hobby is radio controlled gliders. I have a stash of them, but I've been able to do very little here as the nearest place to fly is about 50km away. I love the building as well as the flying, the repairing is an essential I'm afraid. I have been asked why not fly the full size and my answer is always "because I have seen the way I land!"

I quite like gardening too, but SWMBO curtails my work. She says that I just like cutting things down, but that just isn't true. I like cutting things up too :Evil::Evil:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I have a passion for angling and spend as much time as I can on the waterfront.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would rather be fishing than most anything else.

CIMG1857 (1).jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would rather be fishing than most anything else.

Pat - did you catch that fish w/ a bamboo pole? My FIL had a house (still owned by family w/ my BIL there now) in Montauk, LI and had Hatteras boats (about 40 ft or so) - but we used to go fishing in Long Island Sound and at Montauk point - bluefish, fluke (a.k.a. flounder), sea bass and others - also clammed in Lake Montauk - goes back over 20 years ago, but was a lot of fun! AND, the fish was indeed fresh and outstanding! Dave :)

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pat - did you catch that fish w/ a bamboo pole? My FIL had a house (still owned by family w/ my BIL there now) in Montauk, LI and had Hatteras boats (about 40 ft or so) - but we used to go fishing in Long Island Sound and at Montauk point - bluefish, fluke (a.k.a. flounder), sea bass and others - also clammed in Lake Montauk - goes back over 20 years ago, but was a lot of fun! AND, the fish was indeed fresh and outstanding! Dave :)
No, this was the Channel Islands off of So.Cal. with an Ugly Stick.

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Nice catch Pat and the Ugly Stick range are great rods.
Fishing is all about getting your head around the secret code for that day, and tomorrow it will be a different code.
It can be mentally exhausting :)
Tight lines.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.