Music from ipod to iMac

Reaction score
I am into my second day of moving from pc to mac snd i have an itunes query.
How can I move my music from my ipod 5 to my imac so i can play the music from either.
Tried fiddling around but got more confused as i progressed,or not in this case.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is the music you wish to play from your Mac already on your PC? If you're using iTunes for Windows on your PC, all you need to do is copy its music library from the PC to your Mac. You would need to then import the music library from the PC into the iTunes library on your Mac.

If the music is only on your iPod and not on the PC, then you will need a third party app to transfer the music to the iTunes library on your Mac. There are several good apps which can do this but they are not free. "iMazing" and "iExplorer" are two such apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
So, if I find an iPod, I can use one of those apps to "get" the music off of it?

I understand this is not encouraged here, but I would at least like confirmation if the ownership of the "license to use" the music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Is the music you wish to play from your Mac already on your PC? If you're using iTunes for Windows on your PC, all you need to do is copy its music library from the PC to your Mac. You would need to then import the music library from the PC into the iTunes library on your Mac.

If the music is only on your iPod and not on the PC, then you will need a third party app to transfer the music to the iTunes library on your Mac. There are several good apps which can do this but they are not free. "iMazing" and "iExplorer" are two such apps.

Thanks chscag, i will check out those two apps.

@ Cslogg - I've purchased both iExplorer & iMazing; the latter was just released as a new version w/ presumably better integration w/ iOS - so, I cabled my iPad to my MBPro and easily transferred a music file - the 4 screen captures below show the sequence, i.e. I highlighted a MP3 music file (could have done many, a playlist, or other) on the iPad, then selected 'Export' (can be to iTunes or a folder on your computer); selected the 'Downloads' folder where the file was quickly copied - a 'free' DL for the app is available but not sure if it is full feature; the single computer cost is $40 - I bought the 2 computer license. Good luck and let us know your solution(s) - this topic does arise occasionally.

P.S. concerning Bob's post which raises the issue of DRM (Digital Rights Management) and 'Fair Use', the assumption is this is your own music whether purchased online and/or ripped from personal CDs (which is nearly all of the music on my devices) - none of us condone music acquired in other let's say 'nefarious' ways.
iMazing1.png
iMazing2.png
iMazing3.png
iMazing4.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So, if I find an iPod, I can use one of those apps to "get" the music off of it?

I understand this is not encouraged here, but I would at least like confirmation if the ownership of the "license to use" the music.

Yes, you can use one of those two apps mentioned to transfer music, videos, contacts, notes, and some other things from an iPod or other iDevice to your Mac or PC. We leave the licensing and legal ramifications for you to deal with.

Many folks have music or other media they placed on their iPhone or iPod/iPad perhaps taken from a personal collection of CDs but were not purchased and downloaded through iTunes. But later on decided they would also like to have them on their PC or Mac. That transfer can not be done using iTunes but those two apps (and others) can accomplish the transfer very easily. By the way those apps mentioned above are not free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.