mackeeper popups

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
never used or installed mackeeper. Ive read its bad. every once in a while I guess at certain websites, I'll get a window open behind my current one about mackeeper. I have the browser set to block popups but this one always seems to get thru. happened a lot on snow lep I recall, I thought upgrading to El Capitan should stop it. guess not.

any way to stop this from happening? thanks.

11 mac os mackeeper warning.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I would suggest you clean caches and History on your Mac. These types of nasties can be picked up at dodgey web sites, or downloading from several sites where they add these things on. Never download from CNET, Softonic or MacUpdate.

Suggest you download Mlwarebytes for Mac from the link, and run in Scan mode. Then download Ghostery and AdBlockPlus and activate in Browser Preferences.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
will do on caches and history. I have malwarebytes, if found nothing. also running Ghostery and AdBlockPlus.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
its back. mackeeper popup. even though popups are blocked in firefox. I call it a pop behind. it came up behind the window I was viewing.

brand new imac I bought about a week ago, and mackeeper shows up again. how can I stop this from happening? is their a way to stop this? how do they get past the popup blocking stuff?

perhaps my old imac had something on it that I moved over to the new mac? but what? I've never used mackeeper so I find it odd that I keep getting popups about it.

mackeeper2.jpg

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
In addition to the above advice about emptying cache and history I would also delete cookies and if necessary bookmarks too. Further to that I would do this Off Line. Disconnect your device from the internet before deleting cache and history, quite the browser and restart the device before reconnecting and opening the browser.
Somehow the URL for this popup has become attached to some site you visit.
If you are not using Safari but Google Chrome or Firefox the easiest solution may be to uninstall that browser then download a fresh copy and reinstall.
You can save your bookmarks in Safari and reload them from there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And... quit visiting sites where you're picking up stuff like MacKeeper. ;D

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
using firefox. I was reading a page from a link I clicked on facebook, and on that site I clicked something by accident, that is when it happened. im trying to figure out if its on my mac, or just on the sites I'm at. but I may never know for sure. malewarebytes is not finding anything. it has to be on the sites I visit. I'm pretty careful about what programs I put on here and where I download them from. perhaps its in my firefox profile. I may remove all the stuff you mentioned and reinstall firefox again. good tip thanks. :)

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
good to know, thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.