• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Houston Texans sign Mario Williams as 1st pick in 2006 NFL Draft

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
What a great move by the texans. They go for a solid everydown player who can have an immediate impact on their team. I am a huge Cowboys fan but have always rooted for the Oilers and now the Texans. There have got to be alot of USC fans around here somewhere, and hopefully I am not the only geek who loves football as well. Anyone else with thoughts on the draft tomorrow?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP, 1.5GB ram
bush and young and crying. great move for the texans. hopefully this will make life on the sidelines this year a bit more interesting.

-Todd

OP
techster82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't know much about Mario before reading up on the guy, but he just looks amazing. Guy pulled 35 reps of 225lbs at the combine. I think texas made a great move as well, Bush is not an every down player and in my opinion shouldn't have even won the heisman.

Reaction score
I can't wait... another hour before it starts. My Birds pick at 14, though, so it'll be a while...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD
I think Texas could have traded the pick and still got Williams later on. I know that it's harder to get a franchise pass rusher than a franchise back, but if they played their cards right they could have gotten more leverage fromt that #1 pick.

Reaction score
munch said:
I think Texas could have traded the pick and still got Williams later on. I know that it's harder to get a franchise pass rusher than a franchise back, but if they played their cards right they could have gotten more leverage fromt that #1 pick.
I agree, but I don't think they wanted to take that chance. In my opinion, they should have drafted Bush. It is a business, afterall, and he would have put fans in the seats.

OP
techster82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Beefing up the defense and getting to the playoffs will put just as many fans in the stands as watching reggie bush play every other down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HDD
techster82 said:
Beefing up the defense and getting to the playoffs will put just as many fans in the stands as watching reggie bush play every other down.

On draft day you HAVE to take the best player avaiable. You can worry about your needs later in the draft. I think the Texans messed up big time on this one. I mean, I hope they proved me wrong, but Bush would have been the better pick IMO. The Texans have soooooo many problems that Mario won't be a magical fix. Neither would Bush, but he would have been a great start.

Reaction score
Defense wins championships, but the offense needs to score a few points in order to win games.

OP
techster82
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't agree that you always take the best player available. If you are the Colts with Peyton Manning and the best player available is Matt Leinart, do you take him simply because of this fact? The texans have a good quarterback who needs protection, they also have a great running back in Dominick Davis. Gary Kubiak (SP?) has a habit of developing high draft backs. It is much harder to come across an impact defensive end like Williams than it is to get a solid back. Plus, Reggie Bush has showed that he isn't an everydown player. I honestly don't think he can take getting pounded in the trenches of the NFL. Houston made a great move that I am sure disappointed alot of fans, but thats why these guys are running the team and not them. I am hoping New Orleans is smart enough to trade up in the draft and not take Bush. They don't need him, and can benefit more by getting a couple of additional picks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.