Mac Mail and Line Spacing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
For some reason it seems impossible to adjust the spacing between lines in email. (Nothing new) It is really upsetting as my sister has vision problems - in particular prisms which makes reading email somewhat difficult.
I don’t always have to double space as that would be overkill, but would love to be able to adjust the line spacing to at least 1.5. Why is this feature one that as far as I know Mac has never been able to offer? And... if there is some new way to do this that I am unaware of, then my sister and I thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only way I know how to adjust line spacing in mail is to first format the mail using a WP program such as Word or Pages and then import that into your mail message. Yes I know, it's a convoluted way of doing it. You might also want to try some other mail programs that offer more options than Mac Mail does. By the way, nothing wrong with double spacing as it makes for easier reading. You could also increase the font size which may make it easier for your sister to see.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
The only way I know how to adjust line spacing in mail is to first format the mail using a WP program such as Word or Pages and then import that into your mail message. Yes I know, it's a convoluted way of doing it. You might also want to try some other mail programs that offer more options than Mac Mail does. By the way, nothing wrong with double spacing as it makes for easier reading. You could also increase the font size which may make it easier for your sister to see.

Thank you so much for replying so quickly. Yes - I do use a larger font, but it's the spacing that would really help as she gets a lot of "ghosting." I will try composing the email as you suggest in Pages and then see if that will work. Again - thank you for such a quick response, but oh my I just wish that Mail would allow us to do that.

Cheers

PS - Nope... just tried composing a paragraph in Pages and copying it into mail but it just reverted to single line even though I had it set at 1.5. Oh well... we tried. Sigh.

M

MacInWin

The real problem is that there is no way for you to control what the receiver displays. That is up to the receivers email platform. About the only way around that is to email an editable document like a Word document that she can open on her end and have double spacing, or a PDF file that is double spaced that she can open to read.

It's just how email works--what shows on her end is up to her settings and software, not yours.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
The real problem is that there is no way for you to control what the receiver displays. That is up to the receivers email platform. About the only way around that is to email an editable document like a Word document that she can open on her end and have double spacing, or a PDF file that is double spaced that she can open to read.

It's just how email works--what shows on her end is up to her settings and software, not yours.

Even though our communication is long though, I will just have to double space everything. We write frequently and there is the send and reply that happens relatively quickly sometimes, so going though the whole hassle of having to format the document or create a document outside of Mail is just too time consuming. It's been a long long while since I have used Outlook, but I could have sworn that formatting with regard to adjusting the leading was possible?. Maybe not, been too long for me to remember. Thank you for all your suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.