How to stop camera from opening automatically whenever I unlock phone?

Reaction score
Whenever I unlock my phone, the camera app opens automatically. It's driving me crazy!

Is this a setting? How can I turn it off? Seems like something that happens in start up mode on a desktop.

I poked around settings and googled online (and searched here) to no avail.

iPhone 5
iOS 10.2.1

Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Was the camera app started when the phone when to sleep? If so, thats why. One unlocked, double-click on the home button and close all the open apps. Now lock it with the power button and unlock it again and confirm that you get dropped to the home screen as opposed to any app..

OP
M
Reaction score
Was the camera app started when the phone when to sleep? If so, thats why. One unlocked, double-click on the home button and close all the open apps. Now lock it with the power button and unlock it again and confirm that you get dropped to the home screen as opposed to any app..

Good thought, but no. It varies. Camera might be open in background (or might not) but I usually go to home screen before I lock the phone.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Well this is not normal behavior, so if you have no applications running then do a full reset of the device by pressing and holding the power & home buttons simultaneously until the device restarts. See if it continues to occurs after that..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.