Airport Express suddenly stopped working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 512 1.2 20" cinema
I have done soft and hard resets.

I have tried to reconnect via Airport utility. It says the process is complete and never turned green during the process.

I have tried other options using previous settings and as if it were a new device.

Device just slowly flashes orange and Airport utility shows the same with unknown connection and no dns servers.

Is it toast?

Any help appreciated.

Image.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
It looks like you are using the AE as a network extender. I also notice the firmware version is out of date - current is 7.7.8. Just an observation but not critical to connecting. Under the Internet tab, do you have the AE set up using DHCP or Static? Also do you have any DNS servers listed? I realize if the AE is setup as DHCP it should be getting a DNS server from AE base but it couldn't hurt to give it one and see what happens. You could use 8.8.8.8 if you don't know the ones you currently use.

Truthfully - it could be dying. If it is losing strength and it might be too far from the base.

Lisa

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It looks like you are using the AE as a network extender. I also notice the firmware version is out of date - current is 7.7.8. Just an observation but not critical to connecting. Under the Internet tab, do you have the AE set up using DHCP or Static? Also do you have any DNS servers listed? I realize if the AE is setup as DHCP it should be getting a DNS server from AE base but it couldn't hurt to give it one and see what happens. You could use 8.8.8.8 if you don't know the ones you currently use.

Truthfully - it could be dying. If it is losing strength and it might be too far from the base.

Lisa
The 8.8.8.8 seems to have done the trick. Who knew?

It was setup using DHCP and the server listed was 75.75.75.75

The only bit of information still missing is the connection is unknown. But if it is working then I will accept that.

Thank you Lisa!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And as a backup use 8.8.4.4 if there is further problem. The DNS number should be supplied by your service provider and be something along the lines of 240.240.166.126

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know what dns was being used prior to it going toes up as I had no need to look. Nice to know this fix is available though.

Thank you Lisa and Harry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go and look now Fred F.

After connecting using Google's generic DNS, often it will revert to the ISP's when connected, and if so note it down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I don't know what dns was being used prior to it going toes up as I had no need to look. Nice to know this fix is available though.

@ Remltr - Lisa & Harry have already helped you, but I'm still curious about your AirPort Utility pic posted - as Lisa asked, appears that you are using the AP Express as a wireless network extender? If so, then your primary base station should be setup as the DHCP and the network names should be the same on both devices - see the first pic below from this Apple KB Article. I have just one AP Extreme router, but if I wanted to add an Express wireless extender, I would go into the AP Utility, select then Express, the open the wireless tab - there the device can be added to 'extend' the Wi-Fi network (see 2nd pic from my utility) - so, I would suggest opening your AP Utility, pick the Express router, and make sure the device is properly setup as an extender. Dave :)

@ Lisa - looking at my AP Extreme utility version, I have the older one too, i.e. 7.6.8, but my router is 3 years old (the one circled in blue, 3rd image below), so seems the last update for me and likely the OP's Express.

Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 4.44.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 4.38.54 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 4.47.21 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dave - It is hard to tell how the AE is setup with only one screen but I "guessed" and the DNS change helped. But you are correct - if the AE is set as an extender, which the dotted line indicates, then the settings you recommend should work. Also the TC it is what the AE is connected to so the TC should be handling DHCP and also have the DNS addresses. Another thing I thought was strange what the Connection: Unknown.

But at this point if it is working.... it's the old "if it ain't broke" syndrome.

As for the firmware - I had no idea what the age of the AE or firmware it should have but I through that out there as a thought.

Lisa

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am using it as a wifi extender. Just checked and the 8.8.8.8 is still there.

Prior to this issue the device would show up in the list of available wifi connections. It no longer does so. Not that that is an issue, just a little further info, should it mean anything.

Does the device name have any bearing on the connection? Should it be the same as the TC?

BTW it has been working all day with no hick ups.

Edit: Looking at the AirportBase (Time Capsule) under network is showing Off (bridge mode). Should it be one of the other options, DHCP and NAT or DHCP Only?

Also by the way the TC is ethernet connected to a Xfinity modem and am serving my wifi out of the TC.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Prior to this issue the device would show up in the list of available wifi connections. It no longer does so. Not that that is an issue, just a little further info, should it mean anything.

Does the device name have any bearing on the connection? Should it be the same as the TC?

BTW it has been working all day with no hick ups.

Hello again - the Airport Express (AE) should be setup as an 'extender' to your wireless home network - your main base station and the AE can have different names, but they need to be on the same home network SSID, i.e. your main base router should control DHCP assignments. First, I would suggest that you 'RESET' the AE router (there should be a little button), then power down your modem & both routers - plug in the modem first (wait a minute or so), then power up the MAIN base station, and finally the AE - open your AP Utility and check the pic I showed previously - is the AE showing up and can the device be selected? If so, then select the 'Extend...' option and complete the remainder of the setup - good luck and let us know. Dave :)

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a factory reset of the Extreme and Express. Have the same results. Had to use 8.8.8.8. So either the Extreme isn't assigning DHCP or the Express is not receiving DHCP, but will accept a manual setting.

The Extreme is about three years old and maybe it is time to replace it. It is the flat (lower profile) version, not that that has any bearing.

But the network is working. So there is that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I go with the "if it ain't broke". When it quits working then replace. As long as you are happy with its current performance I would leave it.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did a factory reset of the Extreme and Express. Have the same results. Had to use 8.8.8.8. So either the Extreme isn't assigning DHCP or the Express is not receiving DHCP, but will accept a manual setting.

The Extreme is about three years old and maybe it is time to replace it. It is the flat (lower profile) version, not that that has any bearing.

But the network is working. So there is that.

As below - but just curious, is your AP Express showing the same results as in your opening post? My AP Extreme is pushing 4 years of age but still seems to be working fine - Apple is going to drop (and has for a number of years) its AirPort support, so wondering if I should buy their 'last' AP Extreme model or look for another company w/ a router that hopefully works w/ Apple hardware/software? Well, good luck - Dave :)

I go with the "if it ain't broke". When it quits working then replace. As long as you are happy with its current performance I would leave it.

Lisa

At this point, I'd have to definitely agree w/ Lisa, i.e. your network is working, so continue on! Dave

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is showing the exact same results as the opening post.

My network needs are simple in devices, just difficult in distance and location.

I have a ring doorbell which requires wifi to function. Of course it is located outside at the front door. The location of the extreme (TC) is upstairs and in a back bedroom where my computer is located. As far apart as one can get from each other within my household.

I am considering updating the extreme with the newer model as it has 3 antennas for each frequency. The only thing that concerns me is the longevity of the Apple networking devices. I have gone through 2 previous TC's, although the network portion seems to continue to work fine the TC fails within a year or two.

I have since purchased an external drive for back ups and if I purchase another extreme it will be without the TC.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Edit: Looking at the AirportBase (Time Capsule) under network is showing Off (bridge mode). Should it be one of the other options, DHCP and NAT or DHCP Only?

Also by the way the TC is ethernet connected to a Xfinity modem and am serving my wifi out of the TC.

In your post #9, I missed the 'bridge mode' comment - my visualization of your setup is that your modem is cabled via ethernet to your main TC router and that device is displaying 'bridge mode' - correct? That router should be your DHCP manager (see first image below of my AP Extreme router) - if you were to cable your main router to another one, then the latter should be setup in bridge mode (more info HERE); however, if you wanted a 'wireless' connection to the 2nd router (in your case, the AP Express), then that would be defined as 'extending' the router - thus, your main router should handle DHCP functions and your AP Express setup as an 'extender', with both on the same network.

It is showing the exact same results as the opening post.

My network needs are simple in devices, just difficult in distance and location.

I have a ring doorbell which requires wifi to function. Of course it is located outside at the front door. The location of the extreme (TC) is upstairs and in a back bedroom where my computer is located. As far apart as one can get from each other within my household.

I am considering updating the extreme with the newer model as it has 3 antennas for each frequency. The only thing that concerns me is the longevity of the Apple networking devices. I have gone through 2 previous TC's, although the network portion seems to continue to work fine the TC fails within a year or two............

Well, re-looking at your original pic, the dotted line implies that your main TC router is 'seeing' the AP Express via Wi-Fi, but the latter should have a green dot and provide the same network name. I have an app on my Mac computers called Wi-Fi Explorer which detects my own (and my near neighbors) networks and provides a TON of information - the second figure below shows a scan done about a half hour ago - my AP Extreme router is broadcasting 4 networks - my den laptop is connected to the one highlighted in blue - would be interesting to see 'how many' networks your 2 routers may be generating? But just a thought and as Lisa said 'If it ain't broken!'

My TM & CCC backups are all done on external HDDs - I'm also wondering about purchasing the newest AP Extreme (the tall one) - however, looking at the details below (my current model on top - 3rd pic) and the 802.11 ac on the bottom - note the original release date - this is nearly 4 y/o technology - probably OK, but might want a newer brand/model - just reluctant because my current router has worked well x 4 years? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 2.45.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 1.50.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 2.01.57 PM.png

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I purchased all new gear. Same results on the express. Had to enter 8.8.8.8. Must be something to do with the setup of the extreme.

I did grab the wifi explorer. Here is the result. Mine are listed first in alpha order.

View attachment Screen Shot.pdf

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I purchased all new gear. Same results on the express. Had to enter 8.8.8.8. Must be something to do with the setup of the extreme.

I did grab the wifi explorer. Here is the result. Mine are listed first in alpha order.

Hi again - please tell us 'what gear' you bought and make sure that your firmware is upgraded if you bought the most recent AP Extreme router, as to my previous posting. Also, your image was in a downloadable PDF file and came in sideways - kind of a pain, so I did a screen capture and posted the image below - seems that you are broadcasting 4 networks, but two names are identical w/o an indication as to which are your 'Guest Networks' - this can be changed in AP Utility.

At this point I would suggest trying to get your main base station, i.e. the one cabled to your modem & computer working properly (just turn off the other one for the moment) - I've opened my AP Utility and looked @ the first 4 tabs - did screen captures w/ annotations - these are attached - please review and make sure that your new main router is configured similarly; if not, I would 'Reset' the modem and the router, and repeat the setup w/ the proper settings - check Wi-Fi Explorer to see if your networks have distinct names. P.S. I'm assuming that your 'modem' is only that and not a combo modem-router w/ the latter possibly acting as a DHCP manager, which can likely be disabled - you need just ONE DHCP controlling your home private addresses. Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 12.24.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 11.58.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 11.59.24 AM.png

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about the attachment, I tried to get it to post inline, but it kept showing as an attachment. Might have been the size.

New Extreme, New Express. All firmware updated at the time of install.

All your settings seem to be the same as mine, except I have off (bridge mode). That was set by default during install. I am using a Comcast modem/router - that would be the second router that is cabled? No guest network.

i have enabled the name of the 5 ghz wifi, so I can specifically select it for much faster download speeds.

I am on break at work right now, so I will revisit this later.

Thanks for stepping up and helping.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an Xfinity/Comcast Gateway modem/router. I can login and manage settings. As I was in there looking at settings but not making any changes, I looked at the connected devices. One desktop is ethernet connected and one laptop is wifi connected. I also have a moca connection for two TiVo boxes. So I am not sure that messing with dhcp management would be such a good idea.

I think for the moment I will leave things as they are.

I really do appreciate one and all assisting, I was able to resolve my original problem with a work around provided here.

You guys are patient and great teachers.

Thank you.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
deleted

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.