• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Which digital camera

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
is better? I want one not for professional but just for fun.

these two

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
If you want to waste $60 to $80, just send it to me and I will put it to good use. You are better off going to Wal-Mart and picking up their cheapest camera. I personally wouldn't waste my money on either. Very questionable performance, and picture quality. Check ebay for a good price on a used Canon. It may even be a 2mp camera but I guarantee it takes a better picture than either one of those.

OP
iWonder
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iWonder said:
I want one not for professional but just for fun.

also i dont support walmart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If Wal-mart doesnt have it you don't need it. And I understand you aren't looking for professional but I wouldn't even call those two consumer grade.

OP
iWonder
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If wal-mart doesnt have it you dont need it? they dont have macs... why do you have yours? also the one on the right goes to 6.6 mp

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know you don't want to spend a lot and not buy Pro, but I agree with Techster82, Those are not very good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830113011

Not a lot more $$$ and a LOT better Camera!

Here is another.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830120181

Both very nice and not a lot more. Sorry, I have messed with cameras like those two others and they are pretty bad. Either the Canon or Nikon would be a very good deal and give you good pictures.

Please don't let the MP rating fool you. I have seen 4MP cameras that were blown away by 3MP. The Lens has a lot to do with it also and the bare MP rating means not a lot either.

OP
iWonder
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
okay.. i get both of your points.. cept that whole 'if wal-mart doesn't have it, you don't need it." part. what about this ?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Canon and the Pentex are the best in that group. I almost got that Canon once. It has very good reviews and is a lot more camera than it's MP rating would suggest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Man, did walmart do something to offend you? Being from the south, the saying I typed above is an old joke, but take it as you will.

As for what dtravis7 said, don't let the MP rating of a camera fool you. If you could go by this number alone, then your $80 camera should take just as good a picture as a $600 6MP Nikon D50. It is not the rating, but the size of the CMOS sensor, as well as the lens that determines the quality of a picture.

You are stuck with two choices: either spend a little bit more money and get a good consumer level camera to use for fun, or throw your money away on a cheap one then kick yourself a couple of months from now for not listening to others.

Either way, its your money, but don't ask for peoples opinions if you aren't open to receiving them. Best of luck on your purchase.

OP
iWonder
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how do you determine how good a camera is?
never mind..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
I'd say go with the Canon. The size is nice and the specs seem good for a sub-$150 digital camera.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That Canon used to cost a lot more but has come down in price. I had a 3.1 HP and later and 4.2MP HP. I tried that Canon A410 and it was so much better than even the higher MP HP. The lens, CCD, quality of construction, Controls and so much more control. The HP's were ok for some Point and Shoot basic stuff, but with everything else they got in my way and messed up the pictures while the Canon worked with me and I got good and clear pics always.

OP
iWonder
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think we nailed down the whole "MP doesn't decide the quality" section of todays lesson.

Anyway.. ill decide.. eventually..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP, 1.5GB ram
nikon P2 is nice for the price

cheapest id go its about 200 for a consumer digicam. anything less is going to be crap.

let me know if you have any more questions. im a PMA certified photographic consultant.

-Todd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
canon all the way. by far they make some of the best consumer cameras

OP
iWonder
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hows this ?

I read everyones opinions and decided to let my father to pay for it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13" 2.66 GHz 8 GB
Whilest working i come across a lot of pro photographers, they have all told me that the best digital cameras are those made by companies who's main buisness is making lenses and slr cameras, canon seem to be top of that pile, as an amateur i have had several pictures published using my Canon powershot A80 only 4.0 mega pixels. Its been dropped several times rained on and is still going strong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.