ibook 600 enough tp play vcds's right?

Reaction score
hi all im new to the os x world and i just got a ibook 12 inch 600mhz 128 mb 20gig, i try to play a vcd but it studders like crazy im using vlc and every so often a 5 framse skipped error shows. Im using a pc to convert the dvd's to vcd, but when i just copy the mpeg over to my mac hdd it seems to work, i have a dvd drive for the ibook in the mail, when this arrives will it fix the skipping( will dvds skip) or is my pc to slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
scoyne88 said:
hi all im new to the os x world and i just got a ibook 12 inch 600mhz 128 mb 20gig, i try to play a vcd but it studders like crazy im using vlc and every so often a 5 framse skipped error shows. Im using a pc to convert the dvd's to vcd, but when i just copy the mpeg over to my mac hdd it seems to work, i have a dvd drive for the ibook in the mail, when this arrives will it fix the skipping( will dvds skip) or is my pc to slow.

The system is "fast" enough to do most videos and certainly DVDs. However, you mention you are running 128MB of RAM. That's really not enough for Tiger; what version of OS X are you running? To be moderately functional you really need 256MB minimum, and really I'd suggest popping a 512Meg SODIMM in that machine - giving you a total of 640meg. Depending on how much RAM VLC is using up, you may be getting stuttering due to your ibook swapping back and forth to disk - perhaps even swapping part of the VLC program itself while you're trying to play the video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Yes, stick more RAM in it because this is your primary problem with stuttering video. Like the poster above, I would recommend at least 512MB :doctor:

OP
S
Reaction score
ok more ram it is, it will be a while though, by the way im running 10.3.9 will the addition of a dvd drive help/hurt my stutter problem, / if i put on 9.somthing would that help, all i need the ibook for it movies music and typing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 1.2 1.25Gig RAM Emac 1.42Ghz 1GB RAM
scoyne88 said:
ok more ram it is, it will be a while though, by the way im running 10.3.9 will the addition of a dvd drive help/hurt my stutter problem, / if i put on 9.somthing would that help, all i need the ibook for it movies music and typing

You should be ok with 10.3.9 In fact, I'd suggest sticking with that version - it's what I run on my iBook and it's stable and fast. RAM is the key, if you are mostly using it as a portable DVD player and web access it should be just fine with some more RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
Yeah, the main thing with macs is... well along with any computer you buy.
You need LOTS of ram for it to be fast, because computer companies always never put enough in there just to get you to buy more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
My G3 400MHz iMac runs DVDs fine. I have 640mb ram.

It does take a while when skipping chapters etc, but when running it's plays smoothly.

E

edge

I can play DVD, VCD, DivX, XviD, etc on my PowerMac G3 400, so you should be fine. It's probably a memory issue. I would also reccomend trying XinePlayer. I haven't had very good luck usinv VLC to play much of anything, But XinePlayer has worked just fine for me.

OP
S
Reaction score
ok thanks for all the help ill download xineplayer and buy a 512 of ram, random question is there any freeware software for dication for osx i just found out about the speech thing, and its fun to ask for jokes, but other then that i have no use, but i would really like it to type while i type, thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.