Locking Folders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
I'm on the iMac with Sierra and have been online (support.apple.com and recomhub.com) but getting nowhere even though I've followed instructions. I've made a folder with multiple files inside and want to lock all of it in one go. I've got to the stage of entering a password and thinking that I'd finished but the folder still opens with no password required. Any help please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
When you create the folder, and enter the password, you need to make sure you uncheck the box to store the password in the keychain, but you will need to remember the password, or you will lose access to the folder.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory now has 16GB. + macbook
Thanks Bob. I did that and still no luck. I just didn't want to go doing it to every file in the folder.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@hoody

The first thing to decide is whether you simply want to encrypt (lock) that one folder - let's call it TEST - with no intention of adding to it; just keeping it as it is. OR, do you envisage adding files to it in the future?

For the former you use Disk Utility (DU), Menu bar > File >Disk image from folder. BUT if the latter choose > Blank Disk Image.

Here's just one link showing how to do both of these: http://www.mactrast.com/2012/07/how-to-password-protect-files-or-folders-on-your-mac/

I've just tested both methods (macOS Sierra) and they work fine.

Ian

I did that and still no luck. I just didn't want to go doing it to every file in the folder.

With both these methods you encrypt the folder and its contents.

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hooray. thanks Ian. we've now got a nice secure place for stuff that we don't want guests to see if/when they use the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hooray. thanks Ian. we've now got a nice secure place for stuff that we don't want guests to see if/when they use the computer.

Give that Ian guy some praise and a good reputation credit!! ;)

PS: DO NOT let any "guest" use your computer without using their own or guest user account!!!
If you did that and didn't leave your Mac open and available, you wouldn't have needed to protect anything as long as the folder and data was saved to your Users folders. They are already very well protected.

- Patrick
======

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 13, iPhone SE 2, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
That's what the "Guest" login is for. Never let anybody use your personal login for anything. This has nothing to do with trust. The default "Guest" login has the added advantage of erasing all data created during that session at log out meaning the next guest cannot see what the last one did. A perfect arrangement if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried to give Ian a good rep' but got this message: You must spread some reputation around before giving it to IWT again.

The only other person that will use the computer is an old and well trusted friend, but I'll see about putting on a guest account anyway... I'll probably be back for more help.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the guest account is done. I thought I'd trip up but it was easy.Now one last thing... for now: I've got that folder locked, but wondered if I can change the password as I was using a nice easy one to set it up but looks like I might be stuck with it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Pete

I don't think you can. You could repeat the process, of course, using a stronger PW.

But look at it this way. You have an iMac, not something you are going to be lugging around. It's in your home; you have total control of who has access to it; you have a guest account which prevents the user from even seeing the folder; and if by mischance you allowed someone to use your Admin account, can you really see them working their way through all the password options in their own lifetime without the tools of the FBI or whoever?

Relax.

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:D Yes you're right of course. I have a macbook air too, running Mavericks. I can't get into the file on that one. It just tells me I don't have permission to see it Anyway, thanks again.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 13, iPhone SE 2, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If you have a look at Users And Accounts in System Preferences you will see there is already a "Guest" account, that is why I referred to it as the default. I believe the default password is "guest". You only need to set your login preferences to show the guest login option. This login is different to one you create yourself in that when the "guest" logs out nothing is saved. That way any number of people can use it without leaving any of thier private data behind.
Lastly, no, you can't change the password on that type of encrypted folder you would have to create a new one and drag the contents from the old one to it.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Rod. I might not bother to create a new folder after Ian's advice. The guest account is up and running and I think I might be able to leave you all again for a while. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Rod. I might not bother to create a new folder after Ian's advice. The guest account is up and running and I think I might be able to leave you all again for a while. :D

Enjoy your nice island and I think you should be safe from all guest users, especially after I read the specs: :Mischievous:
Bribie Island
Island in Queensland, Australia
Population: 16,209 (2006)

- Patrick
======

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha ha. It is nice and quiet here and nearly 70 I'm one of the youngsters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ha ha. It is nice and quiet here and nearly 70 I'm one of the youngsters.

Ahhaaa… and that should make your folders even safer from the masses than I thought, and little need to really password protect them etc. I'd say.

- Patrick
======

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You've gotta watch some of these 90 year old hooligans. More than once I've nearly been run over by one of those mobility scooters. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.