Downloading past OS for another mac

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have an a1370 macbook air which is currently running El Capitan OSX. On this mba, I had had Mavericks and Yosemite installed from the app store and I'm having trouble re-downloading either.

I have googled the issue and gone into purchased tab in the app store while pressing the option key. The only OS i see there is El Capitan!

What, if anything am I doing wrong. Your help would be appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you make sure you were logged in to the Mac App Store with the correct Apple ID? If Yosemite and Mavericks are not listed there, then they were not purchased with that Apple ID.

What is the reason you are trying to go back to an earlier OS? If you are selling, Apple has a great Article on what you should do with your Mac before selling, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065.

Also, depending on which version of Mac OS your MBA came with, you may be able to hold "command+option+R, and start up into Internet Recovery and install that version of Mac OS, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314.

OP
W
Reaction score
I have another older Mac which is unsupported and want to see if I can install either on that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well tell us about this other Mac and what operating system is it currently running, or if none, what was the last if you can findout?

OP
W
Reaction score
OK
It's an a1181 with the 2.4 penryn processor and 4GB ram. Currently running it's maximum OS which is Lion
I'm wanting to see if I can get either Mavericks or Yosemite installed on it to give it a new lease of life

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Usually, if it's running it's maximum OS, then it can't go any higher.

Did you make sure you were logged in with the correct Apple ID?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK
It's an a1181 with the 2.4 penryn processor and 4GB ram. Currently running it's maximum OS which is Lion
I'm wanting to see if I can get either Mavericks or Yosemite installed on it to give it a new lease of life

If you want to give that machine a new lease on life, install Snow Leopard 10.6.8 instead of trying a work around to install Mavericks or Yosemite. I sold one just like yours some years ago and had Lion on it at the time. It ran much better with Snow Leopard. But hey, the choice is up to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If you want to give that machine a new lease on life, install Snow Leopard 10.6.8 instead of trying a work around to install Mavericks or Yosemite.

+1!!! There are many reasons that Mac doesn't and can't properly support a later non-supported OS X version, why waste time even attempting such an install. :[

- Patrick
======

OP
W
Reaction score
If you want to give that machine a new lease on life, install Snow Leopard 10.6.8 instead of trying a work around to install Mavericks or Yosemite. I sold one just like yours some years ago and had Lion on it at the time. It ran much better with Snow Leopard. But hey, the choice is up to you.

Simply because I didn't have mountain lion on my MBA so can't have access to it from the app store like I'm supposed to have and is the reason for the thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you purchased a Mac OS X/Mac OS/macOS version through the Mac App Store, it will show on your Purchased page. If it is not showing on your Purchased page the OS was not purchased, or was not purchased with that Apple ID. If the OS was included with the Mac when you purchased the Mac, then you did not purchase the OS. If the OS version you are trying to access was included on your Mac when you purchased it, the OS will not show up in Purchased, unless you went to the Mac App Store and purchased that same version of the OS, maybe.

OP
W
Reaction score
OK I updated the MBA on my Apple ID, mavericks from lion. Yosemite from mavericks and el capitan from Yosemite. For each one I downloaded, therefore purchased, the OS from the app store and neither mavericks or Yosemite are showing as purchased in the app store even when I press the option key

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@waynehardy66

I'm tying to follow this - bear with me.

You have two Macs - let's call them Main and Old.

On your Main Mac, you have El Capitan, having previously bought Mavericks & Yosemite.

On your Old Mac, it is running Lion. I presume you are using this Mac, via the App Store, to try and download Mavericks or Yosemite (post #1).

As the maximum the Old Mac can legally run is Lion, all Operating Systems higher than this will not appear as options in your purchased list - Apple recognises the Mac, realises it's limit; little point in offering an OS that will not run on it - by Apple's rules.

There's the sticking point. And that's the explanation for it.

We have suggested Snow Leopard because it was far better than Lion. You talk about "workarounds". Apart from the risks involved, I believe that our Admins and Moderators would not permit discussions on how these might be undertaken.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK I updated the MBA on my Apple ID, mavericks from lion. Yosemite from mavericks and el capitan from Yosemite. For each one I downloaded, therefore purchased, the OS from the app store and neither mavericks or Yosemite are showing as purchased in the app store even when I press the option key

Then you must be logging in to the App Store with a different Apple ID as mentioned previously above.

Try logging in using the same Apple ID used on the "upgraded_ Mac. The OS X version should be there under the Purchased tab, otherwise call Apple Customer Support for help.

EDIT:
Thanks for the correction I missed Ian, that the old Mac can't run the later OS X versions. ;)
I missed that. :[

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
W
Reaction score
OK

I am currently using ONLY the MBA/main Mac to look in the purchased tab of the app store. I'm pretty sure that I've been clear about this!
I only have only ever had ONE Apple ID and have used it correctly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.