Deciding between a 15" and 17" MBP

D

davide_bruzzone

Greetings all...

I apologize if some of you see this thread and think "Here we go again... Yet another 15" vs. 17" question" but I've been reading through all the 15" vs. 17" PB posts that I can find and have found that opinions seem to be fairly evenly divided. People either love their 17" PB or they don't... So I thought that I'd try to sollicit some opinions from some (preferably) existing owners and/or people who have owned both.

First some background:

- I previously owned a 15" TiBook then a 12" AlBook. I loved both of these laptops (Obviously, one of the things that I loved most about the 12" AlBook was the fact that it was so small and light, but the 15" TiBook was never cumbersome).
- For the most part, I'll use the laptop at home and at the office. I live in NYC and have a 10 minute/block commute (on foot) so I'd be carrying the laptop in a backpack (for which I can buy a 15" or 17" sleeve). I also travel (in economy class) about 3 - 5 times a year... I'd like to be able to use the laptop at the airport and possibly on the plane (although I'm not a traveling consultant and have found that my grandiose plans to work on such and such a project while in flight often degenerate into eat the meal, watch a movie then go to sleep).
- I will, among other things, be using the laptop for (Java) development (My profession) and HD video editing/musical "pottering about" (One of my hobbies).

Given these criteria, and the fact that I quite like the idea of the 17" MBP's DL SuperDrive and FireWire 800 port (which I think would be useful for HD video capture and DVD authoring... But which could both, to some extent be gotten around with, for example an external DL DVD burner, etc.), what are your thoughts? To my surprise, I find myself leaning in the direction of the 17" model (On paper, the differences in size and weight don't seem to be that great).

Do you own a 17" PB? If so, do you travel with it? Have you ever successfully used it on a plane? Do you wish you'd gotten the 15" model instead? Or vice versa...

Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers...

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
I don't have time to post much as I have a meeting in just a few, but I wanted to mention something before I forget altogether.

I have a buddy who purchased a 17" laptop, and used it for travel every now and then. He ended up selling it to his parents 3 months later and buying a 15".

IMO 15" and 17" laptops serve their own unique purposes, for the most part:

15": Great if you plan to commute with it a good portion of work days.

17": A great desktop replacement that can go with you when needed, but not designed entirely for commute.

Anyway, good luck w/ your decision!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Not very long ago I had the 17" PowerBook and have travelled with it several times. On the move, it does feel a bit large. Also, while in-flight, don't bother with the 17" laptop. Especially in economy class - business class is different, much more space, but economy is a strict no-no. Also, its worse when the person in front of you reclines his/her seat. In fact, for on the go work, the 12" Powerbook is the best I've ever tried. I guess I'm getting the 15" MBP soon too. Lets see how that turns out. Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I mainly fly first class, but on occasion when flying economy I have noticed even with my 15 inch laptop the lack of space, but since you are between the 15 inch and the 17 inch, i am going to put my recommendation for the 17, it has a few more things (firewire 800 is a big plus for me) and when both computers are maxed out, the 17inch is actually cheaper.

OP
D

davide_bruzzone

Thank you for your responses. They've been very helpful!

At this point, I'm leaning towards the 17" (for its DL DVD burner and Firewire 800 port and the larger screen).

I've been carrying a 2 pound book in my backpack with my Dell Inspiron 700m to get a feel for what it'll be like to carry the 17" MBP and my back hasn't given out yet (although I haven't gone on any long-distance treks).

Finally, I tend to agree with PowerBookG4 (as my experiences have been sonsistent with his) - i.e. I've found that while its always easy to crack a 12" PB or something like Dell's Inspiron 700m open in flight, even a 15" laptop can be quite a challenge on the more sadistic airlines.

Thanks again for the feedback...

Dave

OP
C

cnjohnson

davide_bruzzone said:
Greetings all...

I apologize if some of you see this thread and think "Here we go again... Yet another 15" vs. 17" question" but I've been reading through all the 15" vs. 17" PB posts that I can find and have found that opinions seem to be fairly evenly divided. People either love their 17" PB or they don't... So I thought that I'd try to sollicit some opinions from some (preferably) existing owners and/or people who have owned both.

Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated...
For travel, and for working around the office or the house, I find both the 15" and the 17" clumsy. I now own a 12" G4 pbook with 100g HD and 1.25meg RAM. It is a workhorse.

If my only options were the 15" or the 17", I would choose the 15". If I want a desktop (aka 17") I would lug that around instead.

YMMV

Cheers--
Charles

OP
L

lil

I have found anything larger than a 4:3 14" laptop hard to use when flying but them I am a skint lass and always fly economy ;)

As for the PowerBook G4—best laptop I have ever owned. Period.

The 17" Model should be seen before purchase as it is a big laptop compared to the 15" model—not saying that is a bad thing but the size differences is bigger than the two inches elude towards.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Be relistic about how much your gonna use it on a flight. If its occasionally then get the 17" and do more work in the departure lounge :p Also do you actually need to burn DL dvd's cause id be far too tight to buy them but thats me, meaning i dont need the DL function.

While id love a 15" for the screen res my 12" PB has seen me through a full year at uni where i could purch it on the smallest of tables/chairs and work in comfort while ive seen people struggle with larger laptops

OP
H

Harryc

There is no arguing the point that the 17" has a couple of nice features over the 15". If you don't do a lot of air travel, and are just lugging it down the street, here are the important specs - 15" MBP weight - 5.6 Lbs, 17" MBP weight - 6.8 lbs. So twice a day you will be carrying 1.3 lbs more back and forth with a 17".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
I would stick with the 15 inch; i have a fifteen and my friend just bought a 17. it's a pain for him because he was intending to carry it in his backpack; he's half french and goes back to france a lot; he wants to buy/trade for my MBP! i would stick with the 15 because:
-size issues. been convered
-the superdrive isn't necessary; with the money you save, you can buy a peripheral
-cheaper.

my main pro for the 17 inch would be the firewire 800

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buying One Soon...
Harryc said:
There is no arguing the point that the 17" has a couple of nice features over the 15". If you don't do a lot of air travel, and are just lugging it down the street, here are the important specs - 15" MBP weight - 5.6 Lbs, 17" MBP weight - 6.8 lbs. So twice a day you will be carrying 1.3 lbs more back and forth with a 17".

I think people forget that most 17" PC laptops weigh about 11-12lbs easy. The 17" MBP is half that weight and people are STILL complaining!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
IMO, weight isn't an issue at all... it's the size. If I weren't to travel much, I would definitely prefer the 17", but since I'm on the road quite a bit, the 15" is my preference, and that's why I made the point about traveling earlier. :)

OP
H

Harryc

Slilock said:
I think people forget that most 17" PC laptops weigh about 11-12lbs easy. The 17" MBP is half that weight and people are STILL complaining!
Who is complaining about the weight? There is a difference between pointing out an attribute of a device to be helpful vs. complaining.

OP
S

Stowned

*sniffle* *cry* Oh noes! I have to lift an extra 1.3 lbs!!! Waaaaaaahhh!!! The weight is unbearable!!! WAAAAAAAAGGGHHH!

People... seriously.

OP
H

Harryc

Stowned said:
*sniffle* *cry* Oh noes! I have to lift an extra 1.3 lbs!!! Waaaaaaahhh!!! The weight is unbearable!!! WAAAAAAAAGGGHHH!

People... seriously.
Ok, you guys are just busting balls now :). I added my part, it's up to the OP if weight is an important consideration or not.

Reaction score
Stowned said:

People... seriously.

Pretty funny.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
I'm just going to throw out that there will probably be a Firewire 800 ExpressCard at some point that you could use with the 15 inch.

OP
D

davide_bruzzone

Thanks again for everyone's response!...

I ordered the 17" today! I decided that:

- I can live with the extra 1.2 pounds on my back during my daily 10 minute walk/commute (as well as during slightly more extended walkabouts). I won't be hiking up mountains with it (and don't think that that's what Apple had in mind when they designed it anyway)
- My impression (both on paper and in the flesh) is that the 15.4" MBP and 17" PB (which I've been using as a rough stand-in for the 17" MBP) aren't that far apart in terms of physical dimensions
- I don't travel that much so portability isn't my number one selection criterion. I'll find out later this year whether the laptop is useable in BA's World Traveler Plus seats (World Traveler Plus is a slightly more spacious version of BA's economy class). I doubt it'll be useable in economy class on some domestic flights; I'll be sure to bring my video iPod along (like its ever more than 10 feet away from me... :)) in case I can't use the laptop and get bored
- The 17" model's extra features are both nice to have (although I'm sure that it wouldn't be too difficult to work around their absence on a 15.4" MBP)
- I've never actually worked on one, but the screen's size is droolicious (and will be nice to have for both software development and video editing)

Since it seems to be a topic of discussion on these and other Mac-related forums... My order's estimated ship/delivery date is May 12/19 (I placed the order earlier this afternoon). Having ordered enough laptops from Apple in the past, I'm not holding my breath lest I pass out and die...

And finally, I'll be sure to post a couple of pictures and impressions when it arrives.

Thanks again!...

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
hey ive been with World Traveler plus and wasnt that impressed so i wouldnt hold out too much but might be possible if you have a nice person sat next to you ;)

Oh and make sure we see these photos as well ;)

OP
D

davide_bruzzone

inflexion...

Strange... My experiences in World Traveler Plus have been top notch so far... I found the seats to be very comfortable (although I'm not sure they're spacious enough to accomodate a 17" laptop).

As far as the person next to me, it'll thankfully be my wife on one trip... And on the other trip... Well, once again, that's what the iPod's for... :) Can you tell that I'm someone who doesn't like talking to their neighbour(s) on planes?... :)

Cheers...

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.