[help] Just Switched Intel Imac!! But yikes!

B

Brody

Ok so I bought my Intel Imac 17 inch a week ago and im loving it but!!! there are a few things that have me worried! I use macromedia fireworks 04! and dreamweaver! but my mac just idk its sucks trying to do anywork with these! programs on here! i have been having to use my pc laptop to finish work on my site because it runs so horrible on here! And also i have noticed that copying and pasting just doesnt seem to work the way it should! I use joomla for editing the content on my website and it just doesnt seem to like work well with it! also when i use the remote there seems to be some delay! it like takes a few secs to recognize the commands.. all of a sudden like 10 secs later i walk away and my computer starts blairing really loud!

Thanks Brody!

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Brody said:
Ok so I bought my Intel Imac 17 inch a week ago and im loving it but!!! there are a few things that have me worried! I use macromedia fireworks 04! and dreamweaver! but my mac just idk its sucks trying to do anywork with these! programs on here! i have been having to use my pc laptop to finish work on my site because it runs so horrible on here! And also i have noticed that copying and pasting just doesnt seem to work the way it should! I use joomla for editing the content on my website and it just doesnt seem to like work well with it! also when i use the remote there seems to be some delay! it like takes a few secs to recognize the commands.. all of a sudden like 10 secs later i walk away and my computer starts blairing really loud!

Thanks Brody!

Copying and pasting works exactly as it should. It doesn't work the way it does on some Microsoft Apps on Windblows though. ;)

As for the rest I can't comment as I do all my web work on a G4 iBook in ubuntu and never have any problems.

Amen-Moses

OP
B

Brody

well with the copy and paste if just seem if i hit the copy command it doesnt always copy! Oh and where can i get plugins for the browsers so i can play wma and other types of files! in the browser! cuase if you cant then thats really lame!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What "Copy Command" are you using?

I've used Dreamweaver on both the Mac and PC, and my G4 seems to work with it just fine. I suspect what you may be experiencing is the fact that neither Dreamweaver nor Fireworks are Universal yet and are running in PPC emulation mode. Once full universal PPC/Intel Mac compatible versions are released (I don’t know when that will happen) it should get better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
None of Macromedia/Adobe's apps are Universal yet. Until the Universal version comes out, they will be painful on a MacIntel.

How much memory do you have?

OP
B

Brody

512 but im hoping to buy a gig! do you guys know where i can get it the cheapest at?

OP
B

Brody

Are there any universal programs i can use other then fireworks/dreamweaver! **** this is what i bought the **** thing for!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You got an excellent avatar though....

Getting back to the topic, I have found no difference between copy-paste in Windows and Mac being a recent switcher myself. Using an iBook 14" and it works perfectly. Pretty fast too...

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Brody said:
well with the copy and paste if just seem if i hit the copy command it doesnt always copy! Oh and where can i get plugins for the browsers so i can play wma and other types of files! in the browser! cuase if you cant then thats really lame!

If you want a WMA plugin I suggest you complain to Microsoft as they own the codecs and AFAIK they are not in the public domain so legally noone else can actually provide plugins except them. If you are developing web pages I strongly suggest avoiding Microsoft filetypes like the plague and instead use open source standards.

As to your copy/paste problems I've never encountered any problems like that with any of my Macs so maybe it is an issue with the Intel and/or non-universal apps support. Oh and as Rosetta uses RAM to store portions of the converted code the more RAM you have the better non-universal apps will run (at least in theory, the lack of altivec in the Intel chips will seriously impact any video/image processing powerpc apps regqrdless of how much RAM you have).

You could always buy a quad-G5 I suppose. ;)

Amen-Moses

OP
B

Brody

Ok but im not looking to fork out a ****load of money to run an application i can use on my pc! but is there any other application that is universal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
If you want to use a Mac I suggest you take off your windows hat, it's different.
Mac users prefer the way a Mac works, Windows users prefer the way Windows works, that's life.

Most people do their homework before buying an expensive item not just moan about it afterwards.

Spell check is also available > Safari > Edit > Spelling.

Mac Software:
Apple, Version Tracker, Mac Update etc. Universal apps are marked as such.

As a female I do not appreciate your avatar.

OP
U

UncSki1218

seriously dude...do a little homework. the apps are slow because no adobe/macromedia apps will be recoded for intel macs until early 2007. so the intel macs have do use an emulation technology called rosetta. but, most other apps are universal and run at top speed on mactels. as for copy and pasting...you're probably doing it wrong. on a mac it isn't control-c and control-v. control is replaced by the apple (aka command) button . so it is cmd-c for copy and cmd-v for paste. if you don't like the mac and only bought it for design then you should have reasearched a little before spending 1200 on a mactel that cant run adobe/macromedia at full speed. or u should have a bought a G5 imac that can...

and as for wmv files, try flip4mac. it plays wmv files in quicktime. or download windows media player for mac, vlc player, or mplayer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 1.83 GHz intel duo 1.5 GB
I recently made the switch from PC to an IntelMac, I've been running all my Adobe and Macromedia apps with no problems, they don't seem slow at all. Not as fast as some of the universal ones, but by no means painfully slow. You should try to get it checked out (that problem with the remote sounds weird too).

And I agree you should get the memory upgrade, it really helps when using big apps like those in the Macromedia suite.

OP
B

Brody

(Ok so I bought my Intel Imac 17 inch a week ago and im loving it but!!!)

If you guys would have read that!!! I do like my mac and i do prefer the way it works!! you guys are really not a friendly nor helpful bunch! i was just asking why! im new to os x so i was just asking for insight! thanks anyways.. I'll go somewhere else!

Thanks for all those that helped.. some of you guys should lighting up.. have a nice day all!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Brody said:
512 but im hoping to buy a gig! do you guys know where i can get it the cheapest at?

NewEgg has some very good deals on RAM. I would recomend New Egg. Do not buy it from Apple as it will be a lot more $$$.

Welcome to Mac Forums by the way. Hope you enjoy it here and enjoy your new iMac!!

...Dennis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I agree some of you guys really do need to lighten up.. we're here to help, not to judge a person on how they made their purchase or what not. Plus to the person that started this thread, when you start cursing a lot.. and yes putting ***** is cursing, since people can just fill in the blanks, it puts people on the defensive and you'll get responses like the ones that all of us do not like. In other words please refrain :)

Thanks to all those that were helpful!

OP
L

lil

I haven't noticed it said yet but the biggest issue here is memory aside from the Intel emulating the PowerPC issue.

If you can get at least another 512MB to bring you up to 1GB that will help a lot as it will let the Mac 'breathe' a bit better. Macs are pretty memory hungry in the initial phase but become more efficient over time—if that makes sense.

Ie: Your mac ideally needs 512MB to wake it up in the morning and if you give it that it will eat it all, greedy little thing that it is! If you have 1GB though, it may consume a good half of that but anything you run afterwards will run very efficiently (memory does not seem to disappear)

For example, I'm using the Power Mac listed below—and presently have OS X Tiger, Safari, Mail, Preview, iTunes, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign CS2 running and out of the 1.5GB RAM I have 540MB free RAM—which is pretty goopd considering all the CS2 apps have documents open.

My advice is invest in a good wodge of memory—emulation takes a lot; presuming Rosetta uses JIT (just-in-time) translation of PPC->x86; then it will need a lot of memory, lean JIT compilers tend to require 4KB for every 1KB of PPC code; so when that is multiplied up you can see heavyweight apps will literally devour RAM and then eat into other areas of memory, namely virtual memory page files; resulting in the Mac copying chunks of code from RAM into VMEM and vice versa—on top of the strain of emulating a PowerPC G4 processor.

Yes, it does *not* emulate the PowerPC 970 (G5) series as it only emulates the PowerPC 603e+AltiVec instruction set or what we call the G4...

More information behind the Rosetta technology is here: http://www.transitive.com/

Anyway without getting off the beaten track, sadly the Intel Core Duo will be throttled when emulating any PowerPC app and aside from going to a PowerPC based Macintosh the only way to really get any decent speed gain until native apps arrive is to boost the iMac's RAM as high as you can.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lil said:
Yes, it does *not* emulate the PowerPC 970 (G5) series as it only emulates the PowerPC 603e+AltiVec instruction set or what we call the G4...

I did not know that but it explains a lot. Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brody said:

Other World Computing often has good prices as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac 1.83 Core Duo / 12" G4 iBook / 3G iPod (white) / 5G Video iPod (black)
torchy said:
As a female I do not appreciate your avatar.

Huh? All I see is an Apple-like logo....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.