Partition Error

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm sorry if I've not introduced myself yet, but I have this problem and it's pretty urgent to fix it.

Yesterday I've tried to make a windows partition on my mac, but something went wrong. At the beginning there where, in the switch menu (during the launch), two partition with orange icon: one titled "windows" and the other "EFI Boot". There was not the usual "partition icon", like the icon of iOS. So I came back on mac and tried to remake the BootCamp assistant, but it said that the memory was not enough to make the process. Practically, it says that the space given to the windows partition is still used by it, bat the partition doesn't exist. Now, I need to retake that space back to correctly make the partition. I'll post what the terminal says with diskutil list:

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *121.3 GB disk0
1: EFI NO NAME 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_CoreStorage Macintosh HD 120.5 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, virtual):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: Macintosh HD +78.0 GB disk1
Logical Volume on disk0s2
DBCEBF23-B8F7-4411-AEDC-17102A7D8E22
Unlocked Encrypted

I hope you will help me solve this issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
First, you need to give us all the specs for the Mac you are using. You can find this information under the Apple icon in the upper left corner, then select About This Mac.

What model type (MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, iMac, Mac Pro)?
What model year?
What size disk drive and how much space free/used? (You will have to select the Storage tab for this information.)

OP
M
Reaction score
First, you need to give us all the specs for the Mac you are using. You can find this information under the Apple icon in the upper left corner, then select About This Mac.

What model type (MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, iMac, Mac Pro)?
What model year?
What size disk drive and how much space free/used? (You will have to select the Storage tab for this information.)

I'm sorry, I completely forgot to give you this info!

My Mac is a mid-2014 MacBook Pro 13-inch (currently, the OS is: macOS Sierra). For the size of the disk, normally is 121 GB, but now it's reduced to 78 GB (24,34 used, and 53,66 free). The Windows partition had to be 41 GB.

Do you need anything else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Before you attempt anything, make sure you have a good backup, or your data/files saved to an external drive.

Since your internal drive is only around 128gb in size, and is only letting you access 78gb of it, the drive is not recognizing the rest of it. You will need to download Sierra again and create bootable USB in order to wipe your internal disk drive. To create a bootable USB, you will need an 8gb drive, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372. After you have made the installer, and are positive you have all your files/apps/date/videos/audio/images saved onto a separate storage device, then you will want to do a clean install of macOS Sierra on your MBP, http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/26/clean-install-macos-sierra/.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Really your hard drive is not large enough to partition and run Windows. You are always going to have a pretty slow machine as free space on the drive gets used up. Consider a 256GB SSD if you must run Windows and use the 128GB as an external backup drive for your MBP.

OP
M
Reaction score
Before you attempt anything, make sure you have a good backup, or your data/files saved to an external drive.

Since your internal drive is only around 128gb in size, and is only letting you access 78gb of it, the drive is not recognizing the rest of it. You will need to download Sierra again and create bootable USB in order to wipe your internal disk drive. To create a bootable USB, you will need an 8gb drive, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372. After you have made the installer, and are positive you have all your files/apps/date/videos/audio/images saved onto a separate storage device, then you will want to do a clean install of macOS Sierra on your MBP, http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/26/clean-install-macos-sierra/.

Perfect! Tomorrow I'll try this method and I'll tell you how it will be. Thank you.

OP
M
Reaction score
Really your hard drive is not large enough to partition and run Windows. You are always going to have a pretty slow machine as free space on the drive gets used up. Consider a 256GB SSD if you must run Windows and use the 128GB as an external backup drive for your MBP.

You are telling me that I can run Windows on an external driver?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No I am suggesting you install a larger SSD.

OP
M
Reaction score

I really want to say thank you! I've waited a bit before to do all of this, because I had to work. Today I've found some freetime so I have been able to reboot my mac, and...it worked! Thank you for your help. You are a boss. Hope I won't need your help again! hahaha great tip man

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.